If the Blue Jays land Dickey...

millertime

Show me anything they've done this off season that merits any real confidence that they are improving the team. You will not admit when the players report for spring training IN TWO MONTHS that DD basically wasted the off season and got nothing of note and you were wrong. And that's not surprising either.

The longer the Orioles go into the off season other teams will begin to set their rosters and trades (which seems to be the Orioles preference) will get harder and harder to make. Based on the Orioles track record I have every right to be skeptical that they will get anything done.

Fixed that.....

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No more idiotic than you making excuses for a cheap owner and his mouth piece GM. Same old tune even though the faces change. I remember on the forum how folks defended the "Grow the Arms and Buy the Bats" and the "IN AM WE TRUST". We as fans had every reason to believe the Orioles would improve the club for 2013. The club performed well for the 1st time since since the late 90s. Fans interest was up 20% and the bounties of that and some playoff games gave the team the resources to make some meaningful additions. The Orioles had been included in a rumor since the rule 5 draft on MLBTR until yesterday. Then we heard about Dickey .... It was obvious that as soon as another team was in play the Orioles chances dropped to 0. I get it ...we're not giving up Bundy to get Dickey .... But even Roch basically said that DD is overvaluing the cavalry and the other teams undervalue them ...Certainly beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. But based on their track records none of them other than Tillman has done anything that would make them uber valuable.

I think that Dan Duquette took the Orioles to the playoffs, so he should be immune from being called a mouthpiece GM until he fails.

I seem to have missed the press release where we named Jackson the everyday first baseman and cleanup hitter.

1st Base / DH ...whats the difference ... If Davis plays 1ST then Jackson is part of your precious platoon with Betemit right? The platoon you have heavily talked about in your posts for over a week. Dont go after ________________________. Because Betemit and ______________ combined would out produce Reynolds. I think I've heard you loud and clear... Or are you changing your tune?

**** Just a note **** Im resigned to the fact that the Orioles wont do anything of note this offseason. Unless someone like Laroche/Swisher would fall in their laps as a bargain signing. Which quite frankly isnt happening as their are too many teams left with money to spend.

No more idiotic than you making excuses for a cheap owner and his mouth piece GM. Same old tune even though the faces change. I remember on the forum how folks defended the "Grow the Arms and Buy the Bats" and the "IN AM WE TRUST". We as fans had every reason to believe the Orioles would improve the club for 2013. The club performed well for the 1st time since since the late 90s. Fans interest was up 20% and the bounties of that and some playoff games gave the team the resources to make some meaningful additions. The Orioles hadn't been included in a rumor since the rule 5 draft on MLBTR until yesterday. Then we heard about Dickey .... It was obvious that as soon as another team was in play the Orioles chances dropped to 0. I get it ...we're not giving up Bundy to get Dickey .... But even Roch basically said that DD is overvaluing the cavalry and the other teams undervalue them ...Certainly beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. But based on their track records none of them other than Tillman has done anything that would make them uber valuable.

Please find those excuses.

There is definitely money that was earned that needs to be spent. But your last line is very ironic. At this point last off-season, most people were willing to jettison Tillman for not much, now he has the most "value" of the 4. Therein lies why DD probably overvalues them. Matusz definitely deserves a chance to see if his relieving mentality can carry back to starting. Britton deserves the chance to prove he is healthy. Arrieta, well, he probably deserves to be at Norfolk with Peterson. Now, this isn't making excuses about not trading them, as I would easily move them in a good deal, but you also don't want to sell too low.

And "growing the arms" has changed with the acquisition of Hammel, Chen, and Gonzo IMO. The Orioles were so desperate in the rotation, we needed four of Arrieta, Britton, Tillman, Matusz, and Hunter to work out. That is why it was much harder to move them when they were younger. Now it is easier to move these guys because the rotation is more stabilized.

As regards to the "idiotic statement," it was clearly in regards to the fact that you are trying to tie DD being too busy making DVDs and have A luncheon to be working on making the Orioles better. And I bet that now that I address that, the rest of this post will be ignored.

No more idiotic than you making excuses for a cheap owner and his mouth piece GM. Same old tune even though the faces change. I remember on the forum how folks defended the "Grow the Arms and Buy the Bats" and the "IN AM WE TRUST". We as fans had every reason to believe the Orioles would improve the club for 2013. The club performed well for the 1st time since since the late 90s. Fans interest was up 20% and the bounties of that and some playoff games gave the team the resources to make some meaningful additions. The Orioles hadn't been included in a rumor since the rule 5 draft on MLBTR until yesterday. Then we heard about Dickey .... It was obvious that as soon as another team was in play the Orioles chances dropped to 0. I get it ...we're not giving up Bundy to get Dickey .... But even Roch basically said that DD is overvaluing the cavalry and the other teams undervalue them ...Certainly beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. But based on their track records none of them other than Tillman has done anything that would make them uber valuable.

I also seem to have missed the press release that said "we're totally 100% done making moves two weeks before Xmas- see you in Florida!"

:rolleyes:

You're too funny, man.

1st Base / DH ...whats the difference ... If Davis plays 1ST then Jackson is part of your precious platoon with Betemit right? The platoon you have heavily talked about in your posts for over a week. Dont go after ________________________. Because Betemit and ______________ combined would out produce Reynolds. I think I've heard you loud and clear... Or are you changing your tune?

**** Just a note **** Im resigned to the fact that the Orioles wont do anything of note this offseason. Unless someone like Laroche/Swisher would fall in their laps as a bargain signing. Which quite frankly isnt happening as their are too many teams left with money to spend.

If it wasn't for that 5 week hot streak that Reynolds had in August and part of September, Jay Gibbons might have out-produced him in 2012.

If Betemit posts an OPS of around .830-.850 vs. RHPs(.859 in 2012) and Jackson/Valencia/Pearce post something around .800 vs. LHPs(which all of them have a career OPS of over .800 vs. LHPs), we'll have top 5 or top 10 production at the DH spot.

I think that Dan Duquette took the Orioles to the playoffs, so he should be immune from being called a mouthpiece GM until he fails.

To each his own I suppose. But Its the same old thing and the constant is the owner.... Hard to believe that Flanny & JD were able to gather funds to sign Tejada ...But DD and AM couldnt find the dough to sign a single star free agent. Same old same old and I think you know who's to blame;)

To each his own I suppose. But Its the same old thing and the constant is the owner.... Hard to believe that Flanny & JD were able to gather funds to sign Tejada ...But DD and AM couldnt find the dough to sign a single star free agent. Same old same old and I think you know who's to blame;)

A weak, over-priced FA market mostly filled with good but not great players already in their 30s?

Sure, but I am very happy with what Dan has done so far. Andy gave us a good basis to build from and at least a bit of a positive reaction from the other organizations. There was a bit of respect that Dan was able to build upon. I know we are over valuing our prospects and our young pitcher, but it is all that we have. I wish that Angelos would say, "The heck with my children's children's future. I'm all in."

Please find those excuses.

There is definitely money that was earned that needs to be spent. But your last line is very ironic. At this point last off-season, most people were willing to jettison Tillman for not much, now he has the most "value" of the 4. Therein lies why DD probably overvalues them. Matusz definitely deserves a chance to see if his relieving mentality can carry back to starting. Britton deserves the chance to prove he is healthy. Arrieta, well, he probably deserves to be at Norfolk with Peterson. Now, this isn't making excuses about not trading them, as I would easily move them in a good deal, but you also don't want to sell too low.

And "growing the arms" has changed with the acquisition of Hammel, Chen, and Gonzo IMO. The Orioles were so desperate in the rotation, we needed four of Arrieta, Britton, Tillman, Matusz, and Hunter t

o work out. That is why it was much harder to move them when they were younger. Now it is easier to move these guys because the rotation is more stabilized.

As regards to the "idiotic statement," it was clearly in regards to the fact that you are trying to tie DD being too busy making DVDs and have A luncheon to be working on making the Orioles better. And I bet that now that I address that, the rest of this post will be ignored.

I'm not ignoring any of it .... The fact is after a successful season which revenues were up all DD has been able to muster is a few excuses about not increasing the payroll. They need to get it done by trading and then a whole lot of excuses about teams undervaluing our so far under performing or injured pitchers. They've subtracted Reynolds and his salary and have added Dumpster type additions and have been applauded by many here for these types of nothing to lose moves. If they happen to hit on one of these guys some (you?) will call him a genius. If they dont make it some (YOU??) will call it a low risk move.

In my business we call the approach something very different.

Here it goes ... If you throw enough SH_T against the wall some of it will stick

The problem is finding role players will happen now and then ...but finding a TOR starter or MOO bat that way will be 1 in a 1000 maybe more.

Archived