If the Blue Jays land Dickey...

millertime

You know how the Blue Jays and Rays were able to make those moves? They built up their farm system for years and became strong at identifying and developing talented players. Building a strong farm system was the key for both teams. The Blue Jays traded from their farm's depth, and the Rays' whole team is basically guys who came up through their system.

We don't have that. We have Bundy, Gausman, Schoop, and a bunch of low level prospects. I'm positive that part of Duquette's plan is to build a system that will rival the Rays' and Jays' systems.

The Red Sox and Yankees have bucketloads of money to spend. We have a self-imposed salary cap. We can't spend like they can.

Duquette has neither money to spend, nor prospect depth to trade from. His main usable assets are some former pitching prospects that have all failed multiple times in the majors, but still have some possible future value. Not much going for him.

It doesn't take a well stocked farm system to sign a FA. The fact that Os are standing

idly by while every other team in their division improves is pretty inexcusable IMO.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting a bad vibe about this offseason. Liked the McClouth resigning, but aside from that it feels like our 2013 expected win totals are slowly slipping away with each move our divisional foes make.

I will enjoy 2013 no matter what, but my head is starting to get filled up with a bunch of 70's. 75-78 wins is feeling all too probable.

I got to disagree with you here. Who did DD bring in that took us from terrible to great? By my count, he added Chen, Hammel, Ayala, Lindstrom, McClouth, Saunders, Betemit, Flaherty, Nick Johnson and Chavez. Like MacPhail DD did a good deal of his work through trades. I think he brought in solid players, but I think he might have got lucky as well (same with MacPhail's deals).

With that said, I hate giving DD all the credit or a pass moving forward. Much of the heart of the Orioles playoff team came from moves MacPhail made. We fielded a playoff team in 2012, but what does that mean for 2013? Nothing if you consider that other teams are getting better while we are standing pat up to this point. I will like to see how the Orioles do in 2013 and 2014 before I label DD as the savior to MacPhail's "poor product".

Nice post, and spot on. In the objective world, there is no other way to see it. If you are heavily altered by the Orange Cool aid, you follow in behind the "in DD we trust" crowd. DD did make some nice reclamation project moves last year, specifically McLouth and Gonzalez. He made a lot of moves, some did not go nearly as well. Dana Eveland, Taylor Teagarden, etc. But take a look at all of the players we have that are directly the responsibilty of moves made by AM. Andy MacPhail did a lot for this team.

That's a tough question. At this stage in the game, I'm definitely concerned about Toronto-especially considering that Morrow came back strong at the end of last season and their lineup was decimated by injuries. They've done nothing but add to that mix.

The Yankees and Red Sox's will continue to make their moves but I'd probably give the edge to Tampa Bay. I think their starting rotation is the best in the AL and their lineup is no push over. Assuming Longoria can stay healthy for 162, Tampa is my favorite.

How about you go ahead and root for the Bluejays then if you are so in love with them. I am getting so tired of Oriole fans like you complaining about the job Dan is doing. The Bluejays have not proven anything yet. The Orioles proved to the baseball world that they are a good team.

Wow...who tinkled in your Cheerios brother? I never said I was "in love" with the Blue Jays and would never root for them over the Orioles. And you are incorrect...the Blue Jays have proven something...they have proven that they are willing to do whatever it takes to make their team better.

Yes...the Orioles proved last year that they are a good team but the problem is, they need to build off that now...not take their foot off the pedal and that is what they have done. Hoping that they can repeat their success last year with the same team is not practical...especially when every other team in our division has been very busy getting better this offseason. And...bash me if you want...but all the crazy records that the Orioles set last year (extra inning wins, 1 run wins, etc.) most likely will not happen again this year. If you can honestly say that you think we will repeat the same success with the same team while all the other AL East teams have improved, I think you might be "a tad" delusional. Chill out man.

Os could be back to challengjng for the cellar. Another offseason of the team sitting on its hands. Im not surprised and anyone who says the team has been dumpster diving or happy with a diabled roster by platooning players with little fielding value are just kidding themselves. The Orioles should spend time actually building a roster to increase fan interest than spending time making videos and fan luncheons by our gm.

Nice post, and spot on. In the objective world, there is no other way to see it. If you are heavily altered by the Orange Cool aid, you follow in behind the "in DD we trust" crowd. DD did make some nice reclamation project moves last year, specifically McLouth and Gonzalez. He made a lot of moves, some did not go nearly as well. Dana Eveland, Taylor Teagarden, etc. But take a look at all of the players we have that are directly the responsibilty of moves made by AM. Andy MacPhail did a lot for this team.

In regards to McLouth I believe our bench coach John Russell had some say in that move as well..

Lets wait to see how a good 2012 season will carry over to 2013.

I would get use to this type of offseason.

The Yankees are aging and have been for a while. They haven't been spending wildly like under the original George.

I don't think NOW the Blue Jays are the team to beat, they were prior to this trade. Very disappointing the O's have done virtually nothing. Wow.

I would say yes, they are the team to beat. Morrow, Dickey and Josh Johnson are a very strong top 3. Bautista is one of the top hitters in the league, and now put Reyes and Melke in front of him. I would cite the bullpen as a weakness.

Meanwhile, the Rays lose Shields, and the O's, Yanks, and Sox pretty much tread water.

If Encarnacion can repeat-a big question mark-I do think they are the top team.

Per Twitter, it sounds like the Dickey trade is agreed upon. Sick rotation and lineup. Yikes!

I think it is too early. If they landed

Dickey then so be it. Spending stupidly

for top talent does not make you an

automatic champion. If Dickey won't

sign long term then what the Blue Jays

did was stupid. IMO.

Yes, on December 15th the Toronto Blue Jays are the team to beat in the AL East.

Is there an award for that I don't know about?

You need to give them credit...they did everything they could to build a contending team know tha yanks and sox are going to have down years by their standards. We just tried to bottle up some magic again.

Archived