Could Orioles trade Jim Johnson for Porcello?

Greg

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I think of "pitch to contact sinkerball starters," Scott Erickson is who comes to mind. He was 130-108 with an ERA+ of 105 in his first ten seasons, despite a K/9 of only 5.0, before hurting his shoulder. I'm not sure I'd call him "consistent," though.

Yeah, that's kinda my point and Erickson (last pitched in 2006) is a really good example. These guys are nice in theory but are usually not that good and often inconsistent (good IF defense or not). Unless I had some indication that Porcello could increase that K rate (which has actully increased slightly the past couple years) significantly, I think I'd want more for JJ.

Trading relievers for starters is, all other things being equal, a very good idea in general. Johnson is never going to be better than he was last year. Porcello will throw almost three times as many innings and is still young and under team control for longer.

Wasn't Kevin Brown a sinker baller? The SP formerly known as Fausto was good until he got hurt as was, Wang.

6.6 SO/9 over 19 years, 6 straight years 7.8 or above. You could compare Porcello with a young Brown but I think Brown's career arc would be considered a BCS for Porcello.

Wasn't Kevin Brown a sinker baller? The SP formerly known as Fausto was good until he got hurt as was, Wang.

Brown had high K rates. Guys like Carmona (Roberto Hern?ndez) are the kinda guys that I'm talking about. Can look great and then suck. I mean I think Carmona has long is recovered from his injuries. Guys like Carlos Silva, Maholm and Marquis also come to mind. Lannan is a good comp. We could have got him for practically nothing.

Anytime you can get a Starter who is only 24 with 3 more years of control for a reliever who just had a career year in his prime (age 30) I would look into it.

With that being said, DET is now going to look in the trade market for a closer I think with Soriano signing with the Nationals.

For the Orioles, I would look to get more than just Porcello. JJ saved over 50 games last year. Let that sink in...

Anytime you can get a Starter who is only 24 with 3 more years of control for a reliever who just had a career year in his prime (age 30) I would look into it.

With that being said, DET is now going to look in the trade market for a closer I think with Soriano signing with the Nationals.

For the Orioles, I would look to get more than just Porcello. JJ saved over 50 games last year. Let that sink in...

A 24 year old, former first round pick with 4 years in the majors for a reliever.

I think that is a no brainer, and I don't think the Tigers would do it.

Heck we'll all excited about Tillman getting it at an older age than Porcello

Porcello's is just heading to his prime and could easily be a #2/#3 for the next 5-10 years.

I'd love me some Porcello

Archived