Could Orioles trade Jim Johnson for Porcello?

Greg

The equation isn't that simple, IMO. Yeah, if I was starting a team from scratch I'd rather have four years of Porcello than two years of JJ. But I'm not starting a team from scratch, I'm considering the needs of the Baltimore Orioles. And by that measure, I think we need JJ more than a guy like Porcello, and I will worry about 2015 (when JJ could be gone or super-expensive) when the time comes.

I wouldn't trade JJ for Porcello, but I would look to deal JJ if we could get something that's a better fit for us than a mediocre SP. I think we have a few guys that could close, and be almost as effective (or perhaps more effective if we include O'Day) at a much lower cost.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't trade JJ for Porcello, but I would look to deal JJ if we could get something that's a better fit for us than a mediocre SP. I think we have a few guys that could close, and be almost as effective (or perhaps more effective if we include O'Day) at a much lower cost.

What he said. I'd be absolutely fine with them moving Johnson for something of substance and rolling the dice with someone like Strop in the closer's role. If they sign Saunders you could also like at Arrieta as a potential closer.

We have other guys who could close, but maybe not as effectively as JJ, and whoever moved into the slot of the pitcher who replaced JJ would likely be less effective in that role. So, you're potenially downgrading two bullpen roles.

I remember in July there were a number of people advocating trading JJ and making Strop the closer, because Strop could be just as effective. In light of what happened to Strop over the last six weeks of the season, that notion now seems ridiculous.

For me, this is a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." There is something to be said for having a guy you have a lot of confidence in at the back of the bullpen. Not only does JJ have good stuff, but his command rarely goes walkabout, which is an important thing for a closer.

You state that like its a solid fact when that is simply nothing more than your opinion and the opinion of some other very silly people.

Do you have any evidence at all to bring to the table in this argument? If not, you probably shouldn't be claiming that the people who do have evidence are "silly people."

The equation isn't that simple, IMO. Yeah, if I was starting a team from scratch I'd rather have four years of Porcello than two years of JJ. But I'm not starting a team from scratch, I'm considering the needs of the Baltimore Orioles. And by that measure, I think we need JJ more than a guy like Porcello, and I will worry about 2015 (when JJ could be gone or super-expensive) when the time comes.

I don't think it's complicated at all, but don't feel strongly enough about it to belabor the point.

I'm hoping we make the playoffs the next three years. Its a lot more likely JJ will help us get there, than Porcello. If we don't sign Saunders certainly one of Matusz, Britton, Wada, and Arrieta can give us what he would, if not better.

I agree with this. Add Steve Johnson to that list, throw them against the wall and see who sticks. I'm fine with trading JJ, but not for Porcello.

And if he hadn't done his job so well throughout the entire rest of the season, we wouldn't even have been there.

I don't consider Game 3 a blow-up. He left one pitch up to a streaky hitter who was red hot. Hot guys hit HRs. It happens. I thought his performance in the Texas game, in which he gave up no runs but loaded the bases, was worse.

Exactly...sometimes things like that escape people and they focus only on the bad.

If Johnson didn't have the kind of season he had the Orioles wouldn't have made the playoffs. Plain and simple.

• 4 months later...

Archived