Jair Jurrjens agrees to deal with Orioles

Greg

Brett Hollander Brett Hollander ‏@BrettHollander

I actually like Jurrjens as a low risk w/potential upside. I just don't get hyping young arms & then not giving them a shot to make club...

I agree with Brett maybe a trade is coming soon.

Who says Jurrjens makes the club?

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think the $1.5M gives Jurrjens that much of a leg up over any other pitcher if he is outperformed by other starters in spring training. I don't think anyone would be surprised to see Jurrjens see some time in AAA this year. Just because the Orioles signed him to a Major League deal doesn't mean he can't be optioned. Last year was his only option year, so he could bounce back and forth.

Dan said he wanted option-able pitching depth.

Haven't heard much about his health, but if he is ok you'd think Atlanta would have kept him around a little longer.

Not really. He made $5.5M last year, players never take substantial cuts in year 3-6 arbitration so Atlanta really had no choice but to non-tender him or pay him $5M+.

Andrew Rickli ‏@THE_REAL_RICKLI

Jurrjens ERA against AL since 2010? BAL 0.00 (CG 1 hit), BOS 1.17, HOU 1.23, TEX 1.69, TOR 3.00. @masnRoch @masnSteve #orioles

Also from Andrew Rickli as I searched through tweets,

#orioles fans should note, Jurrjens agent, Scott Boras. Always good to have a pos. relationship with him. #Wieters @masnRoch @masnSteve

Which is interesting. I like that Duquette and Boras or at least the Boras corporation have a working relationship.

Well we gave Antonelli a big league contract last year and then weren't afraid to demote him in favor of someone more deserving. Hopefully if Jair stinks up in Spring Training we'll do the same. As long as that is the case can't really hate on this deal. 1.5$M is small potatoes.

Sorry, I can't get excited about this. I understand it's a low-risk deal, but you're talking about a guy with poor peripherals, who got demoted, and was DFA'd by the Braves with no interest in bringing him back. You don't just do that for 26-year old starting pitchers if there aren't some underlying issues here.

Again, it's a low-risk deal, but it's also a ML contract. Saunders is hardly a must-have guy in the rotation, but I would rather have more of a sure thing if we plan on making the playoffs again.

Sorry, I can't get excited about this. I understand it's a low-risk deal, but you're talking about a guy with poor peripherals, who got demoted, and was DFA'd by the Braves with no interest in bringing him back. You don't just do that for 26-year old starting pitchers if there aren't some underlying issues here.

Again, it's a low-risk deal, but it's also a ML contract. Saunders is hardly a must-have guy in the rotation, but I would rather have more of a sure thing if we plan on making the playoffs again.

I'm sorry but was Saunders ever the NL starter for the All Star Game like Jurrjens was in 2011? Is Saunder 26, having not reached his prime yet? No. This deal makes sense. Low risk...HIGH reward.

Archived