Jair Jurrjens agrees to deal with Orioles

Greg

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone expect him to be healthy? He could be a younger Brian Roberts. Haven't heard much about his health, but if he is ok you'd think Atlanta would have kept him around a little longer.

He was coming off a year where he earned $5M I think and posted poor results in the majors and AAA.

Isn't that Rickli guy the same guy who claimed to be best buds with Adam Jones?

Anyway, this is a good move. This is a franchise that once gave Jay Payton a 2 year/10 million dollar deal. $1.5 is a drop in the bucket and it doesn't have to guarantee a rotation spot or anything.

Unfortunately, this is shaping up to be the biggest move of the offseason...

Strawdawg son! He's the worst.

In case you were wondering, it's a one year deal. Just because he hasn't maxed out his service time. I know that was a question for some users. Heyman said its a one year deal to the guy that had the AL stats for Jurrjens:

Just because it's a one year deal doesnt negate that the Orioles would retain his rights after this season.

The fact that Jurrjens has 2 option years remaining from what I can tell (was added to the 40-man roster in 2007, only demotion was 2012) is important, and I think that fact means they are not necessarily out of the running for Saunders also.

This is a good move because of the option years and because if Peterson/Adair are able to recapture some of his past success, he is under team control again next year. I would suspect that now that he is signed, he'll pull himself from the WBC roster, but I guess we'll know soon enough.

Jurrjens has had multiple right knee surgeries. First in October 2010. And again in October 2012. Both done by Dr James Andrews. Both for meniscus tears. He has had problems with the right knee throughout 2011 and 2012. He has also had problems with ankles, hamstrings, and groin injury that did not require surgery. He had an oblique strain to start 2012 and a groin injury the ended his season. He has not had arm injuries that I can find since having inflammation in 2007.

Jurrjens pitches through injuries. If the manager gives him the start he pitches no matter how he feels from what I have read. His velocity problem have been with him throughout 2011 and 2012 since the first knee surgery. They have reduced he velocity from touching 95 down to around 90. He has good control of his pitches and there are reports of good movement when he is healthy.

Jurrjens is from Curacao. Same has Jonathan Schoop.

He has two options left and is under the O's control for two more years before he is eligible for FA.

Sorry, I can't get excited about this. I understand it's a low-risk deal, but you're talking about a guy with poor peripherals, who got demoted, and was DFA'd by the Braves with no interest in bringing him back. You don't just do that for 26-year old starting pitchers if there aren't some underlying issues here.

Again, it's a low-risk deal, but it's also a ML contract. Saunders is hardly a must-have guy in the rotation, but I would rather have more of a sure thing if we plan on making the playoffs again.

He can be optioned to AAA. To harm in this deal.

Id prefer Saunders to Jair, but I dont want either. I wish the O's got to play against Jair. Its as if people didn't watch him while his ERA etc were good...if you just watch the guys pitch, there isnt much to like. There is zero chance he reaches his incentives, I hope he tears up AAA for a spell and we're able to trade him for a low-A prospect with a high ceiling. At that point you can sell his AAA numbers and his name. He cant pitch in this division. No chance.[/quote

Oh goodness. No chance huh? I am glad DD knows what he is doing. I choose to be more positive than you. He has a chance to work

out for the O's.

This guy was released by the Braves. If he had anything they would've signed him for something.

As was Mark Reynolds by the Orioles. Because of the arbitration system, he would have been guaranteed about 5 million if they had resigned him. This isn't awful and it could be good Roy.

Not a terrible signing. I don't love the cartilage issue in his right knee. Seems rather chronic. Bone on bone at this point? But he's worth a flyer. Plus he could be a nice bullpen arm for the middle innings if his knee won't allow for 6-7 inning starts.

Adam Eaton was a project. Garrett Atkins. Nick Johnson.Rich Hill.Danys Baez. Derrek Lee. They were all on the down side and we buy into the hope that they have nowhere to go but up, or return to former glory.

I'm not going to argue against your other points, but it's worthwhile to note that our development staff and programs have dramatically improved since those days. After watching what we were able to accomplish last year, I feel like we could take any pitcher down on his luck and turn him into a star.

Now watch DD get a hitter that we least expected within the next 2 weeks.

I think it's wishful thinking for the Os to do anything that would be viewed as a serious upgrade. If you said they will add another buy low guy I would think that's more likely.

As for Jurrjens I like the signing and can see he's not far removed from being a good pitcher. You have to wonder about the assurances he was give with the large amount of incentives in the contract. Perhaps he's been assured of a spot...perhaps as the 5th starter.

Archived