Potential Orioles/Ravens schedule issue

SteveA

Any update on this - Cathy and I are planning on a road trip. Davis and Norris are discussing it this morning.

Still no update, but the Orioles would be absolutely crucified if they don't move their game.

I hope they make it a day game. I will take off that day, hit the Birds day game, tailgate for the Ravens game, and then head home to watch the opener. It will be a great day for a Baltimore sports fan!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tailgate lots open 5 hours before every game.

That means if a game was played early that day it would probably need to start by 11:30am to make sure there wasn't a traffic nightmare around 3pm.

But then again what if it goes extra innings? Can't take that chance, have to find another day for a double header or something.

And a giant LOL about the O's/MLB regular season game not capitulating to the opening game of the 2013 NFL season, with the World Champions as the home team and all the festivities that surround the game. SMH.

Tailgate lots open 5 hours before every game.

That means if a game was played early that day it would probably need to start by 11:30am to make sure there wasn't a traffic nightmare around 3pm.

But then again what if it goes extra innings? Can't take that chance, have to find another day for a double header or something.

This is not a reasonable consideration. Certainly the tailgate lots could open three hours before game time. Forcing the Orioles into a situation of potential competitive disadvantage by having them hold a double header is a bigger concern than fans not being able to get as smashed as they normally do before a Ravens game. Hell, some of the lots used for tailgating are used for business purposes M-F anyway.

This is not a reasonable consideration. Certainly the tailgate lots could open three hours before game time. Forcing the Orioles into a situation of potential competitive disadvantage by having them hold a double header is a bigger concern than fans not being able to get as smashed as they normally do before a Ravens game. Hell, some of the lots used for tailgating are used for business purposes M-F anyway.

Exactly.

There is a <5% chance there is an Orioles/Ravens doubleheader. There is too much that would need to be changed. It would be good PR but wouldn't be feasible. People need to get over that idea. My money is on a DH for the Orioles/WS on Satuday.

As someone else said, this is the NFL's opening night -- not just the Ravens. They have concerts and other festivities, too. Maybe this could work if it was another prime-time game but since it's the opening night for all of the NFL, there's no way this can happen. They'll have stuff set up probably the day before.

As someone else said, this is the NFL's opening night -- not just the Ravens. They have concerts and other festivities, too. Maybe this could work if it was another prime-time game but since it's the opening night for all of the NFL, there's no way this can happen. They'll have stuff set up probably the day before.

That's a good point. Much better than the one about tailgate lots. :D

If the Orioles absolutely refuse to move their game, I don't see why the Ravens couldn't just go ahead with their game on the same night. Let's be realistic, how many people are going to go through the turnstyles of a middle of the week, September Orioles game vs. an AL Central opponent, especially with the biggest NFL home game ever played in Batlimore? Maybe 5,000 if they're lucky. That would represent like one section of seats in M&T Bank.

]If the Orioles absolutely refuse to move their game[/b]' date=' I don't see why the Ravens couldn't just go ahead with their game on the same night. Let's be realistic, how many people are going to go through the turnstyles of a middle of the week, September Orioles game vs. an AL Central opponent, especially with the biggest NFL home game ever played in Batlimore? Maybe 5,000 if they're lucky. That would represent like one section of seats in M&T Bank.[/quote']

I am positive that the Orioles are not going to refuse to move their game. In fact, I am pretty positive that they will try hard to accommodate the NFL game to the best of their abilities. It is just that the decision doesn't fall squarely on the Orioles' shoulders as others have pointed out in this thread. The Orioles, White Sox, MLB, and (possibly) the Indians and Yankees will all need to nod their heads in agreement to whatever solution is proposed. If the Orioles game is not moved and it goes head to head with the Ravens, I'd imagine the Orioles would be upset with that (it will hurt their attendance) and it won't be because they refused to cooperate.

You are living with blinders on. Ravens rule this town. The ravens have won two championships in the last 12 years. The orioles have had one winning season in the last 12 years. Let the Orioles win a couple of world series and then people will take their competive disadvantge. I am a huge Orioles fan but lets be serious about who is going to have things go the way they want them. It is only one out of 162 baseball games they play. They will find a way to satisfy the ravens.

If the Orioles absolutely refuse to move their game, I don't see why the Ravens couldn't just go ahead with their game on the same night. Let's be realistic, how many people are going to go through the turnstyles of a middle of the week, September Orioles game vs. an AL Central opponent, especially with the biggest NFL home game ever played in Batlimore? Maybe 5,000 if they're lucky. That would represent like one section of seats in M&T Bank.

That isn't the point. The biggest issue will be traffic and parking.

You are living with blinders on. Ravens rule this town. The ravens have won two championships in the last 12 years. The orioles have had one winning season in the last 12 years. Let the Orioles win a couple of world series and then people will take their competive disadvantge. I am a huge Orioles fan but lets be serious about who is going to have things go the way they want them. It is only one out of 162 baseball games they play. They will find a way to satisfy the ravens.

Just because the "Ravens rule this town" doesn't mean the Orioles have to do anything. Their schedule came out first.

Now are they going to move the game, of course, but it isn't because the "Ravens rule this town."

Just because the "Ravens rule this town" doesn't mean the Orioles have to do anything. Their schedule came out first.

Now are they going to move the game, of course, but it isn't because the "Ravens rule this town."

Of course not. And if the Ravens stunk for 14 years, they would not rule the town. I was very proud of how the Orioles fans came back out of the woodwork at the hint of success.

And I'm glad the Ravens won it all again.

Don't the team leases with the Stadium Authority preclude either team from scheduling a home date on a day when the other team is already scheduled? I would think that clause exists. And that would be on good reason why the Ravens couldn't just go ahead with their game on the same night. That said, I still expect the O's will try to accommodate them by moving their game to the weekend.

Don't the team leases with the Stadium Authority preclude either team from scheduling a home date on a day when the other team is already scheduled? I would think that clause exists. And that would be on good reason why the Ravens couldn't just go ahead with their game on the same night. That said, I still expect the O's will try to accommodate them by moving their game to the weekend.

Somebody might have to get the government involved then.

ClayDavis.jpg

Yes it does. I have made this point at least three times in this thread.

Archived