Matt Wieters to Boras: Keep me in Baltimore

fearthenoodle

But it sounds like we have four more seasons of Matt under contract. So what kind of numbers/deal are we talking about?

I love Matt and think he's essential, but to think we'd be paying him FA market value starting now, and for the next four years, plus another how many years?

I guess I'm just wondering exactly what we're talking about here in terms of possible numbers and years. It sounds pretty risky to buy out four seasons, just to secure 2-3 more years - IF you have to pay current market value for all those seasons, instead of arb, or whatever he'd get otherwise.

I think what you would do is schedule it similar to the arbitration numbers. 2014=8 2015=10 2016=14 2017-2021=17/year something along those lines is what I would think

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My offer:

2013: $5.5M (contract already signed)

2014: $10M (arbitration year)

2015: $12M (arbitration year)

2016: $20M (would hit free agency)

2017: $21M

2018: $22M vesting option for 150 g at C in 2016-7.

Basically a 5/85 extension on what he already agreed on this year.

That's too much in FA, IMO. I'd give him something like 16-18 over those 3 years.

Also from the linked piece:

I hadn't realized FRAA was so down on Wieters' defense relative to other metrics.

I wonder what they had him at in 2011?

Wieters clearly didn't have the season behind the plate in 2012 that he did in 2011 but I certainly do not think he was below average last season. (He also finished 2nd for the FB award)

FA is dying. That helps us because it hurts BOS and NY.

I think it's less death and more minor market correction. It certainly wasn't dead when Werth and Pujols and Fielder and on and on signed ludicrous deals in the last several years. It wasn't dead a month or two ago when high-risk Josh Hamilton, coming off two good-but-not-great seasons, signed for $133M. Or when Greinke signed for $150M.

Is Seattle ever going to give that man a team? Look no further than last year when they yanked him in the 9th and we won after he dominated us for 8 innings.

They sure are good at keeping Felix a Mariner, though.

For real. I cannot believe he resigned with them. Shocked accurately describes my feelings right now. Happy, but shocked!

I think it's less death and more minor market correction. It certainly wasn't dead when Werth and Pujols and Fielder and on and on signed ludicrous deals in the last several years. It wasn't dead a month or two ago when high-risk Josh Hamilton, coming off two good-but-not-great seasons, signed for $133M. Or when Greinke signed for $150M.

I think the point is more and more teams are spending their "free agent" money on extending their own superstars rather than taking the risks associated with signing the "premiere" free agents, who are indeed becoming less and less each year.

No surprise here. I've always thought the "Boras factor" was way overblown, especially in the case of Matt Wieters. Boras did his job getting Wieters a fat paycheck when he was drafted, and that was a good move by Wieters. But now the dude just works for Matt.

The Great Satan (Boras) Factor, is always a factor. In Texas Elvis Andrus (Boras is his agent) has made it known he wants to get all he can when its time. There will be no hometown discount/friendly contract, or extension.

The Great Satan has a reputation for a reason.

This news is big because of what it says about Matt, inspite of his agent.

I wonder what they had him at in 2011?

Wieters clearly didn't have the season behind the plate in 2012 that he did in 2011 but I certainly do not think he was below average last season. (He also finished 2nd for the FB award)

All systems will have their outliers. Wieters was significantly above average in '12 by TZ, UZR, +/-, and the Fans. I'm not going to give him too many demerits for not showing up so highly on BP's system. I've seen nothing to indicate it's better than the others.

Archived