Betemit injured running the base paths (Update: out 6-8 weeks)

xian4

Sprains:

Grade1 is micro-tear of tissue (not bad, repairable by the body)

Grade 2 sprain: partial tear (typically out for some time )

Grade 3 sprain: full tear of ligament

So he for sure sprained it. Just how bad?

Posted in game thread, but felt it is relevant here.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If this injury is long-term, this gives Flaherty a chance to stick and to get some actual decent playing time at DH. He can also spell Markakis in RF while he's coming back from this neck thing while also backing up 3B, SS, 2B. Nobody likes an injury, but this just gave Flaherty a golden ticket to make this club. Alternatively, Chris Dickerson's minute chances just improved as well.

You know, Flaherty is a good option. Nice.

Chris Davis, with Pearce playing 1B.

I doubt that Dan or Buck will ever let Chris Davis take another rep at third base as long as he is an Oriole. I would expect to see Talor Teagrden there before Chris. And Taylor will never play third ;)

You're right. Conor Jackson is so much more appealing than Mark Reynolds. :rolleyes:

The issue here is a left handed bat, not Mark Reynolds who was a right handed hitting average to below average defensively 1B'man. Betemit wasn't going to play 1B except in a pinch.

We have a bunch of DH options, which is why Betemit going down really doesn't hurt us that much. That said, I loved his power as a LH hitter against righties. His platoon splits are quite pronounced.

This is not good. Betemit was a dependable insurance option for our offense that has numerous question marks at this point: Roberts, McLouth, and Reimold especially. I don't really like our in-house options if we are expecting them to get regular at-bats.

I doubt that Dan or Buck will ever let Chris Davis take another rep at third base as long as he is an Oriole. I would expect to see Talor Teagrden there before Chris. And Taylor will never play third ;)

There is about as much chance that Davis plays third again as there is he pitches in a game at Fenway. Flaherty makes the team. The only thing I thought they might like to do was to send Flaherty to Norfolk to pick up some of the AB's that he missed last year. That seems unlikely, but still possible early in the season.

In the game thread, WEAMS said that "Showalter said that it sucked the life out of the dugout, and that he left the dugout in the seventh inning to console Wilson."

That is very reminiscent of when Markakis was hit by Sabathia's pitch last September, and everyone in the dugout (including Nick and Bucky) immediately had a feeling of dread.

As long as those guys produce, we're okay.

Yes but we are talking about a player who hasn't had a full productive season since 2009 and another who was almost out of baseball before playing well for three months last season. Maybe neither guy produces, maybe one does, but both producing would be a feat. Betemit was more important to this club than I think people are acknowledging.

Not good but not the end of the world either. More AB's for Reimold and McLouth, IMO. As long as those guys produce, we're okay. I hope this means McLouth in LF against RHP and Reimold at DH with Reimold in LF against LHP and Pearce at DH.

Yeah, this is what I think should happen. Flaherty should still start at AAA to get full time at bats, probably at 2B.

Yes but we are talking about a player who hasn't had a full productive season since 2009 and another who was almost out of baseball before playing well for three months last season. Maybe neither guy produces, maybe one does, but both producing would be a feat. Betemit was more important to this club than I think people are acknowledging.

LF: McLouth, Dickerson, Flaherty, Pridie; LH bats

Reimold, Pearce, Jackson, Ford, Hoes; RH bats

TRob; S

I think between them we have LF covered.

Archived