Betemit injured running the base paths (Update: out 6-8 weeks)

xian4

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not yet:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/3351/wilson-betemit

Wilson Betemit (knee) said Tuesday that he'll be sidelined for 6-8 weeks before being reevaluated.Betemit was diagnosed with a Grade 2/3 PCL tear in his right knee after he hurt himself running the bases on Monday.

The good news is that the injury isn't expected to require surgery, but he figures to miss at least the first two months of the season. The Orioles could go with Nolan Reimold as their primary DH and Nate McLouth as their everyday left field during his absence.

Mar 26 - 8:46 AM

Source: Brittany Ghiroli on Twitter

I am thinking that they are well for the swelling to go down and to see what kind of shape the ligament(s) are in at that time. Then the eval for surgery will occur.

Well...that's awful.

I'll wait a minute for someone to explain why that isn't neg-rep worthy, but, if I'm reading that properly, it's one of the more deplorable sentiments I've seen expressed on the board.

Why? It is not like he is happy it happened. Maybe cherish was the wrong word to use. But I don't believe he deserves a neg rep. IMO

Not yet:

I am thinking that they are well for the swelling to go down and to see what kind of shape the ligament(s) are in at that time. Then the eval for surgery will occur.

Exactly, the key word is reevaluate in 6-8 weeks. It doesn't mean that he'll be ready at that time even if he does not require surgery.

Awful for Wilson. I hope we see him soon though that 6-8 weeks seems short to me. I'm thinking AS break until he's not only healthy but able to contribute.

For what it's worth, I have been advocating for Flaherty to make this team all along. I have always believed he's one of the best 25 available. I didn't want it to happen like this but if it means Ryan makes the team that's great.

Not yet:

In my experience the PCL isn't often surgically repaired, which is why yesterday I said if it is his PCL only he probably will not miss the season. I am still surprised about it being a PCL as it is rare to tear the PCL in hyperextension because it is usually on slack. The only patient I have had with a PCL tear that happened like that was because he tore the ACL first and then the PCL went. Do not be surprised if in the next month if something else is changed with his diagnosis. They will wait for 2-3 weeks for the swelling to go down now. His option for 2014 will not be achieved now. He could still be out for the year if something else is discovered (think ACL), but otherwise I would expect him back in 3-4 months.

I feel badly for Betemit, but honestly this isn't a big blow for the team. There were threads on this board in recent weeks wondering if Betemit should be traded. When healthy Betemit can hit righties, but he's strictly a platoon DH. He should never be allowed to face a lefty or take the field in a game situation.

Flaherty may not yet be as good a hitter as Betemit against righties, but when you factor in his defensive flexibility he's arguably a better use of a roster spot than Betemit anyway. This injury will give both Flaherty and Reimold more of opportunity to show what they can do.

Absolutely no need to make a trade at this stage, in my opinion.

I feel badly for Betemit, but honestly this isn't a big blow for the team. There were threads on this board in recent weeks wondering if Betemit should be traded. When healthy Betemit can hit righties, but he's strictly a platoon DH. He should never be allowed to face a lefty or take the field in a game situation.

Flaherty may not yet be as good a hitter as Betemit against righties, but when you factor in his defensive flexibility he's arguably a better use of a roster spot than Betemit anyway. This injury will give both Flaherty and Reimold more of opportunity to show what they can do.

I agree with this. Flaherty may not be the better hitter overall yet, but his versatility makes the bench much stronger and versatile in my opinion. Plus, Flaherty might have more power than Betemit.

Exactly how I feel.

In my experience the PCL isn't often surgically repaired, which is why yesterday I said if it is his PCL only he probably will not miss the season. I am still surprised about it being a PCL as it is rare to tear the PCL in hyperextension because it is usually on slack. The only patient I have had with a PCL tear that happened like that was because he tore the ACL first and then the PCL went. Do not be surprised if in the next month if something else is changed with his diagnosis. They will wait for 2-3 weeks for the swelling to go down now. His option for 2014 will not be achieved now. He could still be out for the year if something else is discovered (think ACL), but otherwise I would expect him back in 3-4 months.

I worded my response poorly, but this is basically the same thing I was saying.

Archived