Betemit injured running the base paths (Update: out 6-8 weeks)

xian4

Yeah, this is what I think should happen. Flaherty should still start at AAA to get full time at bats, probably at 2B.
I am not happy with what I've seen of BRob's glove. Like his bat so far. I would rather see more of Flaherty at 2B and Roberts at DH vs RH SP, with Betemit out.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you want McLouth in LF, BRobe at Dh, Flaherty at 2B, and Reimold on the bench vs RHP?
I'd rather have a combination of BRob, Markakis, Wieters, and Flaherty at DH vs RH SP. Reimold/Pearce DH/LF vs LH SP. Reimold will get more PA as he earns them with his bat. Right now I'm just not ceding him DH

I do think the Roberts idea as a LH DH is a good one. I agree with El Gordo about his defense. If Wilson is out for the year that is something down the road you can think about after seeing how things play out early on. As for now Nolan will be the main DH but I am worried about McLouth producing over the course of the full season. Although Wilson isn't an outfielder I think McLouth's production just became more important. Before the injury if he struggled Nolan could replace him in the OF, now if he goes to the OF that opens up the DH slot. I was wondering how Buck was going to handle playing time for Reimold/Betemit early in the season vs RHP, now that isn't a question.

After listening to the interview with Buck, it almost sounds like he feels that the injury will not hurt the team. He said something along the lines of "It will not hurt the team...I feel really bad for the young man." Did anybody else here the same thing? It makes me think that he wanted more flexibility than what Wilson allowed. I wasn't expecting that from the interview. Now it is quite possible what Buck was saying was, "Next man up!" Just thought it was strange to say immediately after a player went down.

I heard Buck differently. He first said it would hurt the team, then retraced only to make sure people knew his deepest concern was for Betemit as an individual, whose character he praised several times, rather than the impersonal matter of his absence's effect on the O's lineup. I'm sure Buck was aware of the fact that, against RHP, the impact on the team could be very significant, esp. if Roberts' and Markakis' physical conditions also become issues and since Flaherty, Trayvon Robinson, and Dickerson are not yet proven everyday players.

It's ironic that Betemit looked like he'd finally found his batting stroke today--he was mashing.

You gotta lot of names in there. If Roberts isn't good enough to defend at 2B, he shouldn't be in the lineup at all. Much rather have Reimold at DH against RHP. IMO, Reimold should be playing everday. McLouth can play against RHP and Pearce against LHP. Pretty simple.
He needs to prove that for me. If he hits like he did last April, if course he gets more PA. But he has to hit first. Roberts bat has looked good so far and I would want it in the lineup regardless. He could play 4 days at 2B, DH a day with Flaherty at 2B, and take a day off with Flaherty at 2B. Nick will need more time off this season especially early, Same for Wieters. I like Wieters', Davis', and Nick's bat from the left side better than I like Reimold's.

I do think the Roberts idea as a LH DH is a good one. I agree with El Gordo about his defense. If Wilson is out for the year that is something down the road you can think about after seeing how things play out early on. As for now Nolan will be the main DH but I am worried about McLouth producing over the course of the full season. Although Wilson isn't an outfielder I think McLouth's production just became more important. Before the injury if he struggled Nolan could replace him in the OF, now if he goes to the OF that opens up the DH slot. I was wondering how Buck was going to handle playing time for Reimold/Betemit early in the season vs RHP, now that isn't a question.
I that's the case I'm signing Jim Thome.

It's not a choice you have to make. Giving Roberts any AB's at DH is a crazy idea, as far as I'm concerned. How does Reimold show if he can hit like last April if you don't give him the AB's? Robert's bat is only good if you can put it at 2B unless you really think you are getting the .800 OPS BRob from old, which is think is a lot more farfetched than hoping Reimold can hit .850 or better. Buck is going to put Markakis' name in the lineup everday. If you don't think so, then you don't know Buck. Markakis is either healthy or he isn't. If he is, he's a full go, just watch. Davis is going to be in there everday at 1B. Those guys will not be getting any DH AB's. Not sure about Wieters. Buck may decide to DH him or just him the day off completely. How many times did Wieters DH last season?

I am in the middle here. I want Reimold playing everyday right now. The ball jumps off his bat and he has always had solid plate discipline. No way he isn't playing everyday for me.

I do think though down the road after we see Roberts defense and depending how good Flaherty and Casilla look, Roberts as a DH option isn't a bad idea. He is good at working the count and can take some walks which this team struggles at. I think a lot is based on McLouth. If Nate can play well then you can keep Nolan as a pretty much fulltime DH. If not that opens up a spot in the lineup. I don't see this scenario happening early on but as the season goes on I don't think it is a crazy thought.

It's not a choice you have to make. Giving Roberts any AB's at DH is a crazy idea, as far as I'm concerned. How does Reimold show if he can hit like last April if you don't give him the AB's? Robert's bat is only good if you can put it at 2B unless you really think you are getting the .800 OPS BRob from old, which is think is a lot more farfetched than hoping Reimold can hit .850 or better. Buck is going to put Markakis' name in the lineup everday. If you don't think so, then you don't know Buck. Markakis is either healthy or he isn't. If he is, he's a full go, just watch. Davis is going to be in there everday at 1B. Those guys will not be getting any DH AB's. Not sure about Wieters. Buck may decide to DH him or just him the day off completely. How many times did Wieters DH last season? (Answer is 9)
Roberts has QAB. He sees a lot of P/PA, he gets on base and he runs well. He scores runs. He is a tough out. That has value. He is hitting well now and if he can give us a .750 + OPS with a .340 OBP that is worth keeping in the lineup. Reimold will get plenty of PA vs LH SP at DH and LF. If he gets hot he'll see more PA at DH vs RH SP. Markakis will not be full strength for weeks. He will play everyday, but until he is full strength Buck will rest him at DH occasionally. Buck has been clear about using DH to rest guys and keep there bats in the lineup. You will be seeing BRob, Nick, Davis, and Wieters at DH this year, as well as Flaherty, Pearce, and Reimold.

I that's the case I'm signing Jim Thome.

I wouldn't. I know Wilson doesn't have a good glove but at least he still carries one with him, He can spell a guy at 1B or 3B here and there. I think it is much easier to carry Thome for a couple of months than the whole season. If I was Jim and still wanted to play bad enough I would sign with an independant league in the early summer to show off what he has left.

I wouldn't. I know Wilson doesn't have a good glove but at least he still carries one with him, He can spell a guy at 1B or 3B here and there. I think it is much easier to carry Thome for a couple of months than the whole season. If I was Jim and still wanted to play bad enough I would sign with an independant league in the early summer to show off what he has left.
I'd rather have Betemit, but if he is out for the season, I'd sign Thome as another LH option for DH. Bear in mind, I don't see any one player as full time FH. I don't think that is Buck's plan.

Archived