Betemit injured running the base paths (Update: out 6-8 weeks)

xian4

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't think of 1 other guy on the eventual 25 man that this injury would have hurt us less. Were we not trying to showcase him earlier on in spring training so we could free up a spot on the 25 man for someone else? What value could we really have received back for him anyway considering his contract? That value is the real loss here. Speaking strictly from a business standpoint ofcourse.

I know it sucks from a humanistic point of view, I am sure we had a plan for him to be incorporated into helping the ball club, he purportedly worked really hard this off season and he is a "brother in arms" and everything. But c'mon. Is this really that bad, that we need to look into guys like Thome?

I don't think he meant it the way you are taking it. I think he was just saying its sad that we won't be seeing him again anytime soon so enjoy what you did see of him.......he just worded it VERY poorly.

That's EXACTLY what I was saying. Nothing rude or mean-spirited. I like Wilson and can't imagine how devastating that must feel to have your season ended a week before it begins. And, he was starting to heat up with the bat.

Maybe "cherish this clip" wasn't the best way to word it, but I meant it to mean the same thing as, "Enjoy it while you can."

If Betemit is out for the entire year, his option won't vest, and he probably won't be re-signed next year. Thus, I was thinking ahead to say that the terrible image of him lying on a cart might be the last time we ever see him in an Orioles' uniform.

I can't think of 1 other guy on the eventual 25 man that this injury would have hurt us less. Were we not trying to showcase him earlier on in spring training so we could free up a spot on the 25 man for someone else? What value could we really have received back for him anyway considering his contract? That value is the real loss here. Speaking strictly from a business standpoint ofcourse.

I know it sucks from a humanistic point of view, I am sure we had a plan for him to be incorporated into helping the ball club, he purportedly worked really hard this off season and he is a "brother in arms" and everything. But c'mon. Is this really that bad, that we need to look into guys like Thome?

I was thinking very similarly, particularly about going after Thome. Betemit can hit right-handed pitching very well, but he is almost useless against left-handed pitching, and he is a bad fielder. We have a lot of guys that are jockeying for position to try to make the team, and I don't see why we would even consider bringing in Thome, who is now 42 years-old, is strictly a DH, and hasn't had a bona fide solid season since 2008, when he hit 34 HR, 90 RBI, and scored 93 runs.

Reimold might get first crack at those ABs at DH against right-handers, but I think Buck really likes what Flaherty brings to the table offensively and versatility wise and he might end up using Flaherty as a sort of super sub that allows guys to get more rest. I can see Flaherty playing 3B occasionally against a tough right-hander to give Machado a break, second base occasionallt in order to give Roberts a break, and Rf occasionally in order to give Markakis a break. I could see Flaherty starting four times a week including some DH time now that Betemit is out.

Buck wants his bench to be versatile and having a bench of Teagarden, Casillo (2B/SS/PR), Pearce (LF/RF/1B) and Flaherty (OF/INF) gives him some pop from left-side and right-side and some speed on the bench with Casillo. Although like Betemit's bat against right-handers, he truly was a DH because he so sub par everywhere else you play him. Not so with Flaherty.

Flaherty is old enough that he doesn't need to go down to AAA to develop. Buck should be able to find him enough ABs with Betemit out now.

This. :agree:

Who is going to put up the same numbers as Betemit historically has against RHers? Not anyone currently on the roster. Not a huge loss, but the Orioles are certainly going to miss him.

It's not a choice you have to make. Giving Roberts any AB's at DH is a crazy idea, as far as I'm concerned. How does Reimold show if he can hit like last April if you don't give him the AB's? Robert's bat is only good if you can put it at 2B unless you really think you are getting the .800 OPS BRob from old, which is think is a lot more farfetched than hoping Reimold can hit .850 or better. Buck is going to put Markakis' name in the lineup everday. If you don't think so, then you don't know Buck. Markakis is either healthy or he isn't. If he is, he's a full go, just watch. Davis is going to be in there everday at 1B. Those guys will not be getting any DH AB's. Not sure about Wieters. Buck may decide to DH him or just him the day off completely. How many times did Wieters DH last season? (Answer is 9)

I agree with this. During his hot April last season, Reimold started against both left-handed and right-handed pitching--I don't see why Buck wouldn't use the same proven approach this year.

Who is going to put up the same numbers as Betemit historically has against RHers? Not anyone currently on the roster. Not a huge loss, but the Orioles are certainly going to miss him.

I'm hoping that the Reimold we've seen when healthy and focused can. Although, as has been posted, deploying Reimold everyday at DH is going to require McLouth to continue his form of 2008 / early 2009 / late 2012 or Buck constantly successfully finding the hot hand among platooners like Ford, Jackson, or Pearce.

Archived