Machado in the two hole?

ChuckS

You ever hear the story about the Scorpion and the Crocodile?

You know what else was fact for 100+ years? That upper echelon pitchers could regularly induce weak contact. Then Voros McCracken came along.

Buck and the others can have all the faith in lineup protection that they want. Until I see evidence that is provides anything more then a tertiary benefit I will not be sitting on the pew with them.

I kinda wanted to hear the story...

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I kinda wanted to hear the story...

Once upon a time, a Scorpion wanted to cross the river. We all know Scorpions cannot swim, and will drown in water. A lazy was surfing along the river bank. The Scorpion called to the Crocodile, "Hey, Crocodile, give me a lift across the river." "No way" replied the wise Crocodile "Why?" asked the Scorpion. "Well, everybody knows, Scorpions sting people, and it is poisonous!" shot back the Crocodile.! "Oh, no! No!" said the Scorpion, who was anxious to cross the river. "Everybody knows that Scorpions are afraid of water, and we cannot swim and we will drown!" replied the Scorpion, "Why would I do such a stupid thing?". The Crocodile thought for a while, and realized it was true. "He will die, if he stings me." He thought, So he asked the Scorpion to hop on his back. Half-way across the river, the Crocodile felt the deadly painful sting from the Scorpion. His last words, "Hey, why did you do that?" "It's in my nature" replied the Scorpion as he drowns in the water.

http://ggyeap.tripod.com/croc1.htm

(I edited it a bit to better match the version I was referencing)

2 on (thanks to a change at leadoff)

1 out

bottom 7

hanging breaking ball

20 year old pops up

Buck, this is ridiculous. Get the kid down in the order and get a professional hitter in the 2 hole. Please. Davis isn't going to win us every game, evidently, maybe we could get a better lineup together. One where the better hitters bat more often, perhaps.

You were quiet yesterday when he got two hits, a walk, and scored three runs. He's not swinging the bat real well but he's not swinging at bad pitches. I'm not sold on him in the #2 spot but I'd give it some time. I believe you wanted Reimold in there and he hasn't been doing anything either.

Quiet? The guy is going to get hits sometimes, fella. Lol He would get some hits in the 8/9 spot. He's not going to bat .000. Im glad he got a couple singles. He is one of my favorite players...which isn't hard to see. He shouldnt be batting 2nd. Im not exactly shy about that, dude. Spare me your horse .... thanks. I dont give a rats ass if you're sold on him in the 2 hole or not. What are you posting that to me for? You think I have any interest in your opinions.. You don't know .... :)

Yes, Nolan would be better. Im not one of these OH guys in love with Nolan, he's just a much better option at the 2. Your point? I wanted us to get Morse, as I said many times, so what.

Go talk to someone else, Jack. Tell them of laws of averages and how you cant work on situational hitting. The 20 year old shouldnt be getting more ABs than anyone on the roster but maybe RyanF. He didn't hit AA pitching well and he's not a good MLB hitter yet. I've made my points very clear. Make some other friends, online super star. I aint interested in your opinions. ;) At all.

You guys are acting like JJ was a beast hitting #2 last season... Can't really make the argument there has been a huge dropoff from that spot thus far.

Who said JJ was any good at it? Saying Manny shouldnt be there is not saying JJ was good at it. Or so I don't think. Not in real life anyway.

We have guys who are better major league hitters than Manny. Those guys should bat more often than Manny. The opposition loves Manny batting 2nd. He's our easiest out at this point in his career. Its not complicated.

Who said JJ was any good at it? Saying Manny shouldnt be there is not saying JJ was good at it. Or so I don't think. Not in real life anyway.

We have guys who are better major league hitters than Manny. Those guys should bat more often than Manny. The opposition loves Manny batting 2nd. He's our easiest out at this point in his career. Its not complicated.

Then why did he have a higher OBP (not making outs) then Hardy last year and so far this year?

This message is hidden because RZNJ is on your ignore list.

View Post

Remove user from ignore list

What do you know, it does work. The features on this site are excellent. I don't need to have threads ruined by the argumentative e-stalker who goes on crazy rants about how players can't work on situational hitting and how the law of averages is more important than working on it. One of the funniest things I have ever read; but what I'll miss in unintentional humor, I will make up for in time saved to talk with people who know a bit about baseball. Maybe even people who don't fall in love online. Dangerous to let your emotions get so involved, silly boy.

Then why did he have a higher OBP (not making outs) then Hardy last year and so far this year?

Quite a sample size you have there. You think any MLB pitcher would rather face Hardy with the bases loaded and 2 outs rather than Manny Machado? I'll wait for your reply patiently my friend.

Quite a sample size you have there. You think any MLB pitcher would rather face Hardy with the bases loaded and 2 outs rather than Manny Machado? I'll wait for your reply patiently my friend.
Hardy knocks 30 out of the park for the major league team in 2011 and people are talking about Manny Machado being a better Major league hitter at 20. Thats awesome.

You specified easier out as your criteria. Hardy both last season and this season has made outs at a faster rate then Machado. Hardy is also easier to defend due to extreme pull tendencies and lack of foot speed.

Give me the rest of the information in your scenario friend and I will be glad to enlighten you with my wisdom.

Archived