Machado in the two hole?

ChuckS

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally like McLouth/Markakis at 1/2, but I'm not as mad about Machado in the 2 hole as others. He had a good game Saturday night, and other then Markakis or McLouth I'm not sure who a better option is right now.

Reimold, when healthy, is a better hitter than Machado at this point.

I personally like McLouth/Markakis at 1/2, but I'm not as mad about Machado in the 2 hole as others. He had a good game Saturday night, and other then Markakis or McLouth I'm not sure who a better option is right now.

This. If McLouth and Reimold are going to platoon, then let them lead off with Nick batting second. Set Jones in the third spot, and have Davis and Wieters flip between 4th and 5th, depending on pitching matchup.

This. If McLouth and Reimold are going to platoon, then let them lead off with Nick batting second. Set Jones in the third spot, and have Davis and Wieters flip between 4th and 5th, depending on pitching matchup.

This is exactly what I was going to post. I think Machado will make a excellent 2 hole hitter someday for us, but that's probably not in this year.

Then the other manager can use the same lefty to pitch to Markakis and McLouth and maybe even as far as Davis. Buck wants a righty there to break things up.

You ever hear the story about the Scorpion and the Crocodile?

You know what else was fact for 100+ years? That upper echelon pitchers could regularly induce weak contact. Then Voros McCracken came along.

Buck and the others can have all the faith in lineup protection that they want. Until I see evidence that is provides anything more then a tertiary benefit I will not be sitting on the pew with them.

How much and at what level did you play baseball? I'm guessing if you played in high school and beyond, you wouldn't be as quick to deny something exists unless it can be squeezed into a spreadsheet, sorted, calculated, compared, etc.

Or maybe you're right...every Major League, minor league, college, high school, etc. pitcher, catcher, and coach who looks at the lineup card or at the on-deck circle when deciding approach/pitch selection/strategy is dead wrong. I'm not saying the impact is critical, but again...it exists even if it's in the sense that who's hitting around a particular hitter is considered at times.

It still sucks. Right now Hardy would be a better option, and I'd rather have Manny, there because eventually he will be fine there.

Hardy would not be a better option. His OBP will likely be below .300. Reimold can do much better than that.

Reimold's OBP is .350 right now. That's very good. He just hasn't hit for power so far, but we know he's very capable of that.

Saying that Machado will eventually be fine isn't good enough for me. Eventually doesn't necessarily mean this year. I want to win now, and I don't see how hitting Machado 7th would negatively effect him at all.

How much and at what level did you play baseball? I'm guessing if you played in high school and beyond, you wouldn't be as quick to deny something exists unless it can be squeezed into a spreadsheet, sorted, calculated, compared, etc.

Or maybe you're right...every Major League, minor league, college, high school, etc. pitcher, catcher, and coach who looks at the lineup card or at the on-deck circle when deciding approach/pitch selection/strategy is dead wrong. I'm not saying the impact is critical, but again...it exists even if it's in the sense that who's hitting around a particular hitter is considered at times.

luismatos4prez's Law: Any debate about baseball statistics will eventually devolve into "You're just a nerd with a spreadsheet" vs "You're just an old-fashioned moron".

Sigh...lets break out the old chestnut "Well you didn't play the game at a high level."

Where they or were they not wrong about BABIP? Is that not a clear comparison to "lineup protection"? Am I not willing to consider it if evidence is shown? If it exists why the difficulty in quantifying it?

You are talking about taking something on faith, which is fine. I don't think it is reasonable of you to be dissmisive toward my view when all I am asking is for some actual evidence.

Archived