Chris Tillman Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone feel Wieters pitch selection was especially bad tonight?

Yes, but I've been saying this for a while now. The pitchers need to shake him off more.

No, Tillman couldn't locate anything.

This is partly true, but when you throw 14 FBs in a row to a power hitting team that is not good pitch selection.

92 to 93 mph on the FB. The 12 to 6 CU dropped in on RHB for strikes early on and the CH fading down and away to LHB. Later he can mix in the cutter after he's gone through the lineup. Seven plus innings and 120 pitches.

These are the post-edit avatar requirements.

He wasn't on early with the FB location but he had decnt command of the CB and an umpire with a wide strike zone. Yet, he was 80% FBs in the 1st inning.

There is a constant strategy of "establishing the FB" irregardless to individuals at bat and the situation that continues to amaze me.

He surpassed the velocity I was looking for and the CB was right there, but I would have liked to seen the CH earlier on to keep the free swinging Jays guessing. He did mix in the cutter as he hit his "settle in" innings in the 4th but...

My requirements were not heeded.

CHRIS TILLMAN O (vs. NATIONALS, 5/29)

IP:. 4.67

H:o 8

R:O 6

BB: 1

SO: 4

Pitches: 98 (62 Strikes, 36 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.26

PITCHES BY INNING

22 (15 Strikes)

11 (71 Strikes)

11 (71 Strikes)

24 (13 Strikes)

30 (20 Strikes) *

* Tillman retired 2 batters in the 5th inning before departing.

CHRIS TILLMAN O (vs. ASTROS, 6/04)

IP:. 7

H:o 4

R:O 1

BB: 2

SO: 8

Pitches: 113 (73 Strikes, 40 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.97

PITCHES BY INNING

18 (10 Strikes)

19 (12 Strikes)

17 (11 Strikes)

91 (61 Strikes)

14 (81 Strikes)

19 (13 Strikes)

17 (13 Strikes)

Tillman looked GREAT. It was funny to see his velo kick up a few MPH after the first inning. In the first, he was sitting 90-92. After that he was pretty consistently 92-95.

The curveball was big for him tonight and he was hitting the outside corner with the fastball quite well. Also think he was throwing a slider a little bit too, and it was decently effective. He was fun to watch. I think he would have done well whether it was the Lastros or not.

Tillman looked GREAT. It was funny to see his velo kick up a few MPH after the first inning. In the first, he was sitting 90-92. After that he was pretty consistently 92-95.

The curveball was big for him tonight and he was hitting the outside corner with the fastball quite well. Also think he was throwing a slider a little bit too, and it was decently effective. He was fun to watch. I think he would have done well whether it was the Lastros or not.

He increases his velocity quite often as the game goes along. Usually after one or two innings he'll get loose.

The slider you see is a cutter and it's very effective because he uses it selectively.

Archived