Chris Tillman Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A fairly mediocre first run through the rotation.

Indeed. Good thing we have depth. Throw in Britton/Matusz/Jurrjens if Arrieta/Tillman stay ineffective. Tillman just looked off. I feel like Hammel and Chen also looked similarly off their games. Aren't the pitchers usually supposed to be ahead of the hitters at this point in the season?

Indeed. Good thing we have depth. Throw in Britton/Matusz/Jurrjens if Arrieta/Tillman stay ineffective. Tillman just looked off. I feel like Hammel and Chen also looked similarly off their games. Aren't the pitchers usually supposed to be ahead of the hitters at this point in the season?

Get ready for Freddie G and his smoke and mirrors....Gonzo looked the best.

CHRIS TILLMAN O (vs. TWINS, 4/06) . *

IP:. 3.67

H:o 7

R:O 5

BB: 4

SO: 4

Pitches: 93 (55 Strikes, 38 Balls)

2013 ERA: 12.27

* Tillman's 2013 Season Debut

PITCHES BY INNINGS

19 *

* Tillman retired 2 batters in the 4th inning before departing.

Jair Jurrgens pitched superbly at Norfolk on Saturday, Steve Johnson's throwing again and T.J. McFarland looked great tonight. In other words, the Orioles will have other options besides Tillman and Arrieta. So they need to perform. And they know it.

I'll add here that while I realize I'm just running hot right now, I'm not really buying "it's just one game". If by some miracle Tillman goes on a tear after this game and repeats 2012, then fantastic. But we've all seen this for years. If you're really the big time prospect with the ace stuff and you've really turned a corner, you're not coming out and pitching 3.2 innings against the Twins. You're just not.

I completely agree with everything in this post.

He just cannot be consistent for any great length of time.

Great one start, terrible the next. Heck, he's even great and terrible from inning to inning!

He had one good half of a season and nothing more.

Expecting him to be that guy from last year all season long appears to be a pipe dream.

With that said, I hope to god he proves us all wrong.....I just don't expect him too. Thank god we've got Bundy, steve johnson, jurjjens and Gausman in the pipe.

I missed his meltdown inning. If he threw a 3-0 cutter did he shake off Wieters prior to throwing this pitch? If it was Wieters call I would be questioning him. Tillman should have shook him off. Two starters with big meltdown innings back to back. Huge crowd that was cold all night deserved better. I questioned why Tillman started this game. I didn't follow his injury or why he didn't pitch at the end of ST. I would have thought he would get some innings at Norfolk or stay in Florida and throw before starting up here. Has he been throwing in Florida regularly the last two weeks before being activated? Don't forget Garcia. I have a feeling we may see him after his four or five appearances at Norfolk even if it's as a long man out of the pen.

Please, it is a 162 game season. Give it a rest. Frankly, I'm more perplexed on the Davis manner in which he holds on runners. And, that ground ball was just lazy technique.

It sure is. Chris Tillman obviously struggled last night. I don't think his quote was "weaksauce". He didn't make any excuse. I took his comments that he feels healthy, but he obviously didn't get it done. I thought Tillman was pretty consisent for a good portion of last season. I've never seen any one use the technique that Davis has been using. However, it does allow him to be in a pretty good fielding position. I agree, he definitely did not go after that ground ball with a lot of gusto. Like you said, there's 162 games. If the Orioles win today, they'll have taken the first two series of the season.

I'm surprised. Well, here it is. And it ain't pretty, so apologies in advance.

He was terrible. And he lost the O's the game today. Not the error or Jim Johnson or Flaherty or anyone who didn't come up with a big hit. This game is squarely on Tillman.

He was back to his old ways, throwing either a) meatballs or b) junk out of the strike zone for less than 4 innings and allowing the Twins to hang a 5 spot on him. Ugh.

Yep, he was masterful in 2012 and I applaud him for that and that was great to see and I hope nothing but the best for him as an Oriole going forward, obviously. He's a good kid and has a ton of talent. And that first inning today had me really excited!

But he and Arrieta and Britton all suffer from the same issues. None of them can repeat a delivery, and none of them can throw strikes consistently. It's absolutely maddening to see this year in and year out and be fooled again and again and again by their promise. At least Matusz has found a role and is doing well there.

How can you trust a pitcher like Chris Tillman? Why do you think Buck went with Joe Saunders in the playoffs? And his quotes after the game amounted to "go get 'em next time", which is what you say after a mediocre outing pitching 5 or 6 innings, but not when you hang a 5-spot in less than 4 innings.

Just totally over the cavalry. Hammel, Chen, and Gonzo have all pitched mostly like we'd expect in their games so far, and once again the cavalry - Jake and Chris - have come up short with the worst outings of the 5 starters.

Sorry for the rant guys. Tillman has haunted my dreams for years and today's start was just so typical Tillman I can't even stand it.

:vader:

That said, go win the series tomorrow. :thumbsup1:

Thank you. If we're going to rip some guys for one bad start or a handful of bad at bats, let's rip everyone who has a poor first five games. Throw in the obligatory "I'll give him another start or two, but this can't continue if we're going to the playoffs. Maybe it was ok in the bad days, but SSS craziness and off days just can't happen on good teams." And then call for Bundy, Gausman, Johnson, and the others so they all get their chance to allow three runs in five innings and get pushed aside for Rodriguez and the folks who haven't been drafted yet.

Archived