Tony Pente, Live on 105.7 The Fan Today

weams

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TUESDAY, JULY 16th

Where are the major holes in this current team???: TONY: When they acquired Feldman two weeks agoh, that really solidified the rotation. And I think that the guys that we have now are the guys that we are going to ride it (the season) out with, unless somebody gets injured, or somebody really implodes. The combination of Chen coming back and the acquisition of Feldman has really helped shore things up.

We don't have a bad rotation. We don't have a top-of-the-rotation starter, but we do have 5 guys that will keep us in the game most of the time.

The only real hole that we have is at DH. Betemit's knee is not responding as we had hoped it would when he first had the surgery back in early March. Maybe Urrutia will be called up, and hopefully he can help us more than what we've been getting with Reimold and Dickerson.

What do you think about Tampa Bay and Boston in the 2nd Half of the Season?: TONY: Tampa Bay's pitching staff is really good. I think that THEY are probably the team to beat. There isn't one pitcher in their starting rotation that you really feel good about facing when you play them. Pitching wise, I think that the Rays are the best team in the division. They always seem to have JUST ENOUGH offense to get them through, also. They aren't a flash in the pan. They'll be there at the end, like they have been every year since 2008.

With the Red Sox, everyone has been waiting all season for their wheels to fall off, and it hasn't happened. I think that they'll be right there at the end of the season also, but Tampa Bay concerns me a little bit more.

If and when Urrutia gets called up, who is the odd man out? If nobody gets injured, where does he fit in ?: TONY: If Brian Roberts is going to be playing 2nd base regularly for the rest of the season, then I think that that opens up a hole at DH. That (DH) is where I see him fitting in. Maybe Dickerson is the guy that has to go if and when Urrutia gets called up. He (Dickerson) is a solid 4th outfielder defensively, but he hasn't done much on offense since his 2 HR game against the Yankees almost 2 months ago.

The All-Star Game: TONY: The home run derby is such a boring event. It's so monotonous. I suggest that they play it like a simulated game, and use pitching machines. It would be much more interesting that way. The pitchers for the derby were horrible. I think it's goofy to give home field advantage for the World Series to the team from the league that wins this game.

TUESDAY, JULY 16th

Where are the major holes in this current team???: TONY: When they acquired Feldman two weeks agoh, that really solidified the rotation. And I think that the guys that we have now are the guys that we are going to ride it (the season) out with, unless somebody gets injured, or somebody really implodes. The combination of Chen coming back and the acquisition of Feldman really helped shore things up.

We don't have a bad rotation. We don't have a top-of-the-rotation starter, but we do have 5 guys that will keep us in the game most of the time.

The only real hole that we have is at DH. Betemit's knee is not responding as we had hoped it would when he first had the surgery back in early March. Maybe Urrutia will be called up, and hopefully he can help us more than what we've been getting with Reimold and Dickerson.

What do you think about Tampa Bay and Boston in the 2nd Half of the Season?: TONY: Tampa Bay's pitching staff is really good. I think that THEY are probably the team to beat. There isn't one pitcher in their starting rotation that you really feel good about facing when you play them. Pitching wise, I think that the Rays are the best team in the division. They always seem to have JUST ENOUGH offense to get them through, also. They aren't a flash in the pan. They'll be there at the end, like have been every year since 2008.

With the Red Sox, everyone has been waiting all season for their wheels to fall off, and it hasn't happened. I think that they'll be right there at the end of the season also, but Tampa Bay concerns me a little bit more.

If and when Urrutia gets called up, who is the odd man out? If nobody gets injured, where does he fit in ?: TONY: If Brian Roberts is going to be playing 2nd base regularly for the rest of the season, then I think that that opens up a hole at DH. That (DH) is where I see him fitting in. Maybe Dickerson is the guy that has to go if and when Urrutia gets called up. He (Dickerson) is a solid 4th outfielder defensively, but he hasn't done much on offense since his 2 HR game against the Yankees almost 2 months ago.

The All-Star Game: TONY: The home run derby is such a boring event. It's so monotonous. I suggest that they play it like a simulated game, and use pitching machines. It would be much more interesting that way. The pitchers for the derby were horrible. I think it's goofy to give home field advantage for the World Series to the team from the league that wins this game.

Thanks for saying it TP and thanks for posting it OFFNY.

TUESDAY, JULY 16th

Where are the major holes in this current team???: TONY: When they acquired Feldman two weeks agoh, that really solidified the rotation. And I think that the guys that we have now are the guys that we are going to ride it (the season) out with, unless somebody gets injured, or somebody really implodes. The combination of Chen coming back and the acquisition of Feldman really helped shore things up.

What do you think about Tampa Bay and Boston in the 2nd Half of the Season?: TONY: Tampa Bay's pitching staff is really good. I think that THEY are probably the team to beat. There isn't one pitcher in their starting rotation that you really feel good about facing when you play them. Pitching wise, I think that the Rays are the best team in the division. They always seem to have JUST ENOUGH offense to get them through, also. They aren't a flash in the pan. They'll be there at the end, like have been every year since 2008.

Tony's spot on regarding TB, we may be playing for the right to finish 2nd.

TUESDAY, JULY 16th

Where are the major holes in this current team???:

TONY: When they acquired Feldman two weeks ago, that really solidified the rotation. And I think that the guys that we have now are the guys that we are going to ride it (the season) out with, unless somebody gets injured, or somebody really implodes. The combination of Chen coming back and the acquisition of Feldman has really helped shore things up.

Good call, Tony. :clap3:

Let's hope that the (thus far) small sample size becomes medium, and eventually large.

WEDNESDAY, JULY 24th

Eduardo Rodriguez: TONY: I saw him pitch last night. He looked very polished for a 20 years-old, and he's already at AA-Bowie. The slider can be good at times, it's his 3rd pitch. It flattens out on him occasionally, but overall, it's good. To me, he's easily the 3rd best starting pitching prospect in the organization behind Bundy and Gausman.

Francisco Rodriguez: TONY: He's just here for the stretch run. If he pitches well, we could offer him a contract for next season, but for now, our only concern with him is the stretch run, which is what we got him for. He had off-season issues with charges of domestic violence, charges that were eventually dropped. That, combined with his mediocre season in 2012 put him in a position in which he really had no choice but to take a minor league deal with the Brewers. Since then, he's pitched really well (2013 season.) He's a big strikeout pitcher, which is a great addition to our bullpen. We don't have a guy like that in our bullpen (a big strikeout guy.) I think he's a nice fit for this team. If Jim Johnson gets injured and/or is not available to pitch because he needs rest, it will probably be Rodriguez that will close for us. He has 304 career saves, has pitched a lot in the post-season, and he is not going to be scared about pitching in the AL East and/or high leverage situations. He's done it before. I think he has everything going for him, and he's going to throw well for the Orioles.

Erik Bedard: TONY: I know that he's pitched well in some of his starts this season, but he is the kind pitcher that is looking to get pulled after 100 pitches. I'm not sure that hes a fit for this team, and I'm not sure that he is that much better than Hammel. I don't think that he would make much of a difference on this team. I think that his teammate Bud Norris would be the best fit for this team if we are looking to add a starting pitcher to the current lineup that we have.

Henry Urrutia: TONY: He's not a pull hitter. He goes to both fields. He's not a big power guy, but I think he will be a similar hitter to Nick Markakis in that he'll have a high batting average, a high O.B.P., and hit about 15-20 HR's once he settles in.

What was the buzz on the OH message board after last night's loss ??? TONY: I'll tell you what, that Kansas City bullpen has some really good arms. If it was that easy to get the sac fly in that situation (a runner on 3rd base with less than 2 outs), they would have done it. It's not like they weren't trying, and as has been said many times before, even the best hitters in the game don't always come through in clutch situations. We had a nice run, we just won 4 games in a row before that loss last night, and 8 out of our previous 10 games. I'm not going to be too upset over losing 1 game.

Chris Davis: TONY: He was on a nice run before the All-Star beak. Since then, he's gotten a hit in every game but one. I have no concern that Davis will suddenly stop hitting for power and/or that he hasn't hit a home run since the home run derby. Oriole fans have gotten a little spoiled with him because of his torrid first half of the season.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived