Tony Pente, Live on 105.7 The Fan Today

weams

Yeah, I think they'd try to hide him in the pen before they'd DFA him. I'd much rather protect him than Hunter. Hopefully, Tillman will get on his game and it won't come to that. I think he'll get the month of April in the rotation in almost any event.

Yep, no arguments from me. I think both he and Arrieta have April to prove they belong. At that point they'll have a read on Jurjenns, Britton, and Garcia as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

West Coast Trip: TONY: It was great baseball for the Orioles to have played. Going 7-4, especially with the 4 games against Oakland in their home park (in what had previously been a house of horrors for the Orioles) was really great.

Manny Machado: TONY: No one thought that his bat would come around this fast. He almost always has great plate appearances, PLUS he has power. For a 20 year-old that has displayed what he has on both offense and defense, his potential is unlimited.

Chris Davis' Knee Injury: TONY: At first, I thought that it was his ankle. Because of the way that he hobbled/trotted off the field, I was actually glad that it was his knee, because I think that if it had been his ankle, it may have been worse. After playing yesterday, he appears to be OK. If you take away Davis from this current lineup, that would be a HUGE hole. We JUST CANNOT MISS him right now.

Freddy Garcia: TONY: I want to wait to see if he can do it a few more times. He was hitting his spots, changing speeds, but his stuff was not overwhelming. We don't necessarily need him to be a Top-of-the-Rotation guy. All we need from him is to be a # 4 or a # 5 guy. Again, I want to see him do it a few more times before I get too excited.

Strop Yesterday: TONY: I was glad to see him pitch himself out of the potential jam yesterday. We need him to come back and get those ground balls, like he was doing last year. HE HAS SO MUCH TALENT, his potential to succeed at a top level is really high.

Miguel Gonzalez' Blister: TONY: I don't think that he has a long history of this (blisters), as some pitchers do. He didn't have it last year. Hopefully it's just a bump in the road. My bigger concern is whether or not he will be able to regain the command that he had last year. On the other hand, his Velocity HAS NOT gone away. Basically, the command is the one thing that he needs to recapture.

• 2 weeks later...

"Biggest concern is the starting pitching. What Garcia has done is not that big a surprise. Guys like Hammel have to step up. We're quickly getting to the point that this is what we're going to get from Wieters' bat. [Wieter's] probably a #7 guy in your lineup."..and he gone

WEDNESDAY, MAY 15th

Are you Concerned, or Panicked ???: TONY: It's only 2 games (the recent losses against the Padres.) The biggest concern is the starting rotation. We've lost 3 out of our 5 starters.

Freddy Garcia: TONY: I think that there were concerns about Garcia coming into this season. Really, the way that he has pitched is not a great surprise

The Starting Rotation : TONY: The rotation HAS TO come around. Jason Hammel HAS TO step up, particularly with the injuries to the other pitchers (Chen, Gonzalez, etc.) And someone from the minors has to come up big for us ...... hopefully, that will be Jari Jurrjens

Matthew Wieters: TONY: We're quickly getting to the point in which we're going to accept that this is what we're going to get from Matt Wieters on offense. We were hoping that he would hit 32-42 homers and 95 to 120 RBI's, but I think that he is what he is at this point ...... an outstanding defensive catcher that has a moderate amount of power in his bat (probably between about 20 and 26 HR's per season.) He's so valuable behind the plate, it kind of makes up for the extra offense that we had hoped to be getting (but aren't getting) from him.

Manny Machado: TONY: Not too shabby, huh ??? :laughlol: Without a doubt, Machado is the most exciting player on the team. I don't think ANYONE saw him coming on the way that he has, both on offense and defense.

THE INTERVIEW WAS CUT OFF AT THIS POINT.

WEDNESDAY, MAY 15th

Are you Concerned, or Panicked ???: TONY: It's only 2 games (the recent losses against the Padres.) The biggest concern is the starting rotation. We've lost 3 out of our 5 starters.

Freddy Garcia: TONY: I think that there were concerns about Garcia coming into this season. Really, the way that he has pitched is not a great surprise

The Starting Rotation : TONY: The rotation HAS TO come around. Jason Hammel HAS TO step up, particularly with the injuries to the other pitchers (Chen, Gonzalez, etc.) And someone from the minors has to come up big for us ...... hopefully, that will be Jari Jurrjens

Matthew Wieters: TONY: We're quickly getting to the point in which we're going to accept that this is what we're going to get from Matt Wieters on offense. We were hoping that he would hit 32-42 homers and 95 to 120 RBI's, but I think that he is what he is at this point ...... an outstanding defensive catcher that has a moderate amount of power in his bat (probably between about 20 and 26 HR's per season.) He's so valuable behind the plate, it kind of makes up for the extra offense that we had hoped to be getting (but aren't getting) from him.

Manny Machado: TONY: Not too shabby, huh ??? :laughlol: Without a doubt, Machado is the most exciting player on the team. I don't think ANYONE saw him coming on the way that he has, both on offense and defense.

THE INTERVIEW WAS CUT OFF AT THIS POINT.

Thanks. Was it a technical issue?

Archived