Disappointed in attendance?

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GRIMED 1 has it Weams, at the top of the page.

He's pointed this out on a number of occasions over the past two years. And he made a point of mentioning the crowd's exhuberance again yesterday in his post-game remarks without the subject even being broached by reporters.

It's great to see the crowds back at Camden Yards, that's for sure.

There were two crowds of 40,000 or more for this recent four-game series against Boston. And the O's have already had seven crowds of 40,000 or more this season, with three sellouts.

Attendance is up an average of 3,000 fans per game, and that figures to pick up even more now that school is out and the Orioles are playing some of their best ball of the season.

No question, Camden Yards is the place to be again for Orioles fans. And no one's loving that more right now than Showalter and his players.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-orioles-fans-deserve-credit-for-making-camden-yards-so-loud-over-the-weekend-20130617,0,4605167.story

• 2 weeks later...

33,036 on a Thursday night against the Indians. Not bad.

90,586 total for the 4-game series.

That's a good Thursday night crowd. The other three games, not so good. I'm sure this weekend will be 130,000+.

The O's are only up about 70,000 right now compared to last year, but should crank that up to 115-120,000 by the end of the Yankee series. July and August were very mediocre last year (June was excellent) so the O's should pick up a good bit of ground the next two months.

The O's are only up about 70,000 right now compared to last year, but should crank that up to 115-120,000 by the end of the Yankee series. July and August were very mediocre last year (June was excellent) so the O's should pick up a good bit of ground the next two months.
..Unless July and August are mediocre again. July and August had two big games for the HOF statues.

July 13-14-15 vs. DET 35,566/43,215/30,439

August 10-11-12 vs. KC 17,277/40,456/20,935

Right or wrong, promotions help to bring people to the ballpark. Tonight, it was beach towels.

..Unless July and August are mediocre again. July and August had two big games for the HOF statues.

July 13-14-15 vs. DET 35,566/43,215/30,439

August 10-11-12 vs. KC 17,277/40,456/20,935

Right or wrong, promotions help to bring people to the ballpark. Tonight, it was beach towels.

Attendance has its patterns, and I'm sure July and August won't match June. But the O's have drawn large crowds every single weekend this year, and I'm sure that the weekend crowds will be much bigger this July/August than they were last year, even taking those two statue games into account. I don't know about the weeknights, but there's nowhere to go but up.

It's interesting to note that we had a 4-game set with Cleveland on June 28-July 1 last year that (1) ran Thursday-Sunday rather than Monday-Thursday, and (2) included the Earl Weaver statue game, and it still drew only 4,000 more fans than the weekday series we just completed. That's a very encouraging sign for what July will look like.

Mi AMiGo took the time tonight to say post-game it was the fans who really got him pumped after the first two rocky innings. He settled down and "just threw what Wiets put down."

That's because I was one of the fans cheering my butt off. I thought the crowd's attitude was very spirited, esp. the bottom of the fifth inning.

Yep, we were very verbable and on our feet a lot. :clap3:

That's because I was one of the fans cheering my butt off. I thought the crowd's attitude was very spirited, esp. the bottom of the fifth inning.

Yep, we were very verbable and on our feet a lot. :clap3:

As I noted in the game thread, the SopranO's were in attendance, which has been an almost guaranteed win for two years. Maybe the O's can boost their attendance by comping mia famiglia with a free season ticket package as a result.

This has been a rainy Spring thus far, with a lot of games in question due to impending storms. (yet strangely none have been rained out). I think those coming from a good distance are being scared off by the threat of rain. Just my 2 cents.

It does me...I have a 75 mile drive one way. Last year it rained 3 of 5 games I got to attend including the first playoff game. This year if they are calling for a good chance if rain I have been holding off. I am getting to old to get home at 2 or 3 am because of a rain delay. I know it wasn't feasible but a retractable roof would have been gold for us folks in western MD.

I was there last night, thought the crowd was great. For a Thursday night game, the atmosphere made it feel like a weekend game. Hats off to everyone who was there during the 5th. I thought after Manny got tossed it might take away he momentum, but the crowd stepped up and so did the offense!

Archived