Disappointed in attendance?

Pedro Cerrano

Let the excuses begin. So far we've had:

It's Tampa; nobody wants to see them.

April games on Tuesday are hard sells.

It's a school night.

Fenway and Yankee Stadium are fairly empty this time of the year. (BTW, 34,000 at Yankee Stadium last night)

Events in Boston kept the fans away.

You forgot the first and most important one: The O's were terrible for 14 years, and one improbable playoff run doesn't make for 10,000 additional season tickets and a doubling of the number of rabid fans. A city's sports culture evolves over many years, and the O's did their best to crush their fanbase for more than a decade.

The O's are up by several thousand season tickets this year. That'll grow if the success continues.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not much short of free tickets and beer is going to convince people to go watch a game against Tampa Bay in April. Seriously, if you're not a fan of pitching or don't know the team well, what reason is there for you to go watch your team play against Tampa Bay?

Disagree.... Went to 3 Hooters pregame parties :rolleyes::)(3hrs free beer, free food) last year ($35-50 including an $8-12 tic), : topped out @ 500 for one. Went with BoltonBob's group :clap3:($20, included pitcher of beer and 2 slices of pizza, $10 tic @ Turps and profits ($250) went to 1st responders.); 60 people. Most of the Buckle-UP nights, including Hangout's ($12),; 5 or 6 Ollies' Bargain nights...... Manny's 1st game ($35 all you can eat section), 5 ST games this year and 2 O's @ Rays games 1st week.

Watched the rest on TV or radio. (Angelos"s revenue. :mad:) Would do a $10 general admission tic last night w/a few dollars going to Boston folks (see BB's suggestion earlier He's brilliant :D:D) if offered.....

Marketing Dept and Ushers not so good - Beer? 1 $8 one is enough for me.

All you can eat crabs/fried Chicken special Tues/Wed in Outfield area 2hrs before game?? Count me in for $35-40 if I get a beer or soda. Lot's of possibilities. Wake Up Greg Bader and marketing. Positive experiences are often repeated.! :)

First Post by BoltonBob's wife in Clearwater. I'm going to work, Bob is going to Chiropractor and Threshers, Phil's minor league day game (Senior Day) in Clearwater today. Dinner on the beach tonight he promises. :rolleyes: If not I'll show him what a Thrashing/Threshers is! :)

Just a random thought for people who want to go to games...We were running a bit late, walking to stadium around 720-725 and there were PLENTY of scalpers still selling tickets. I think I might try buying some cheap (under face value) tickets from these guys in the future. Tickets cant be expensive 30 mins after the game has started and theres not a high demand.

Might be a cost effective option for some...

You'll do better on stubhub and can pick your seats without the hassle of dealing with a scalper. I got two tickets 5 rows behind the o's dugout for a total of $40 ($20 per ticket no added fees). Print them at home and you're all set.

Does it hold beers?

I haven't seen it yet, but I imagine it can. The problem is that you won't get it until after you go through the gates, and if security is like it was last night, you're not going to be able to sneak anything in. Looks like it's going to be $8 beers for you.

Honestly, I don't really feel a huge need to be there in person.

I like my house :)

AMEN Hank.

I LOVE going to the games. I get to between 15-20 a year. But to your point, I enjoy the other 142 games from either my patio room TV, my family room 50 inch HD, or my basement 42 inch HD. I just can't stand these threads every time there is a poorly attended game where people act all pompous and high on their horse like people have nothing else to do but go to the stadium every night.

That said, I'll be behind home plate next Monday against Toronto, 4 seats, and I'll be in my season tix next Tuesday, 2 seats. I hope I'm "doing my part" to support the home team! :rolleyes:

Is it disappointing? Sort of.

Am I worried? Not in the least.

If the O's win this season the fans will come a lot sooner than they did last year. It is very early season and it is April so the kids are still in school. Once schools out I think you'll see a massive increase in attendance, provided, that is, the Orioles continue to win.

That being said I was pretty happy with the opening series.

Why are you disappointed? I went to two games this year and I didn't like how crowded it was. Why is higher attendance better for you? Harder to park, harder to get beer, longer lines for food and bathroom. No room to stretch out in seats.

I don't get why people complain about attendance. Do you think Angelos will use the additional money from tickets sales to invest in the team? If so you are sadly mistaken.

Let the excuses begin. So far we've had:

It's Tampa; nobody wants to see them.

April games on Tuesday are hard sells.

It's a school night.

Fenway and Yankee Stadium are fairly empty this time of the year. (BTW, 34,000 at Yankee Stadium last night)

Events in Boston kept the fans away.

I don't buy the excuses, either. However, let's be clear on one thing -- if you've been watching the Yankee games, you know that their actual attendance this season has been way below their paid attendance. When a team has been good for a long time, people buy season ticket packages just to make sure they have seats, and if they miss some of the games they paid for, that's just part of the price of having access to the tickets. The O's aren't at that point yet, because a fan could buy a ticket on game day very easily, so they aren't going to get as many customers who buy tickets and then don't show up.

I don't buy the excuses, either. However, let's be clear on one thing -- if you've been watching the Yankee games, you know that their actual attendance this season has been way below their paid attendance. When a team has been good for a long time, people buy season ticket packages just to make sure they have seats, and if they miss some of the games they paid for, that's just part of the price of having access to the tickets. The O's aren't at that point yet, because a fan could buy a ticket on game day very easily, so they aren't going to get as many customers who buy tickets and then don't show up.

See, this is what turns me off. Why do you have to "buy it" as excuses? There are millions of good reasons why people, good, die hard Orioles fans, don't get to go to every game. I'm not even going to sit here and list them because there is no need for it. A person who goes to zero games can be just as big a fan as someone with an 81 game plan. No one needs your approval or buy in to go or not to go to a game. I know this probably isn't the way you intended that line to sound, but its an extremely pompous statement. I get to 15-20 games a year. Does that mean the other 61 home games that I am not supporting my team and should be upset with myself for not attending?

Sorry for the rant, but this attitude just grates on my nerves.

What was different about gate security? They have always checked bags.

Not too much. They were checking people with jackets and I got asked about what was in my pocket(I had a bag of peanuts). There were also quite a few police officers and k-9 dogs inside the stadium. Much more than normal.

Archived