Disappointed in attendance?

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Angelos is still the owner of the team.

I know a couple of fans, that follow the team on TV and the Radio, and still wont go to the games, because of the Mussina contract debacle from two decades ago.

Yes, it was a way back, but they are holding grudges and think Angelos is evil and Baltimore will never develop into a real contender as long as he in charge.

Now, before I get flamed. The above position is my mine own, just stating there are people out there with this mindset.

I recognize this, but I think it's silly. Owners come and go. Just because Angelos has owned the team for the past 20 years doesn't detract from the rich history of the franchise, or what it means to the city of Baltimore.

I can totally get not wanting to pay to watch an inferior product over the losing drought, but now that they're back in contention, that past grudge should be set aside in favor of watching some great baseball.

Who knows how long it will last?

Just to add some perspective from a guy in his early 20's...

It's definitely becoming a "cool" thing to do (completely anecdotal of course). The student nights were always popular, but every game seems to be becoming the "cool scene." Lots of my gfs friends, who aren't posting on team forums by any means, love going to the games. Among my casual fan friends there seems to be much more interest as well. Also, i feel like im seeing more os gear around the city in general (at the bar, shopping for groceries, etc.). This is all very tangential anecdotal evidence but I think it's worth mentioning.

A little better tonight. uva4eju7.jpg

It's a win-win situation, as far as I'm concerned.

If the yard is packed, then that's great.

If it isn't, then I/you/we can just buy the $10 upper reserve tickets and sit pretty much wherever we want.

21,857 for the final game of the Rangers series. Pretty decent July weeknight series by 2012-13 standards. Based on early returns, average crowds this July will crush last year's 25,000 July average. We averaged close to 24,000 for four weeknights with a big weekend coming.

The crowd gathered nicely as the game went on, but until the end of the game the crowd was pretty quiet. Not much life to it at all. Maybe it was just being a Thursday game, maybe it was the opponent, maybe it was because it was a pitcher's duel. Whatever the reason, a pretty pedestrian by recent crowd standards.

I love seeing the ballpark filled, it is one of the most beautiful places in all of sports.

People have their reasons for going and not going.

It's easy to sit and type about how sad the attendance is, but I'm of the belief that unless you are going to every single game, you have no right to criticize.

Even then, you don't know the time commitments, finances, or personal preferences of others. Oh, you live far away? What doesn't show up in the attendance numbers is the terrible traffic, iffy weather (how many guaranteed nice-weather home games have the O's played this season? Not many) or all the other associated costs.

Fans will come back. This team lost an entire generation of fans with a decade and a half of losing. The kids are coming around. Have you been to a Junior Dugout Club game this season? I bet 75% of those kids could not have cared less about the O's two years ago.

Competitive baseball is like a drug, and once you've got a taste of it you're hooked. The fanbase is in good shape for years to come.

Attendance all over baseball is pretty mediocre. Have you watched a Yankees game recently?

You can't build back in a season what took a decade of losing to tear down. But they are coming back. TV ratings are through the roof. And you'll see more O's gear in one day around Baltimore than you would have seen in a month 5 years ago. It will take time, but it's happening.

Instead of complaining about attendance, buy an 81 game package. After all, what's YOUR excuse?

I love seeing the ballpark filled, it is one of the most beautiful places in all of sports.

People have their reasons for going and not going.

It's easy to sit and type about how sad the attendance is, but I'm of the belief that unless you are going to every single game, you have no right to criticize.

Even then, you don't know the time commitments, finances, or personal preferences of others. Oh, you live far away? What doesn't show up in the attendance numbers is the terrible traffic, iffy weather (how many guaranteed nice-weather home games have the O's played this season? Not many) or all the other associated costs.

Fans will come back. This team lost an entire generation of fans with a decade and a half of losing. The kids are coming around. Have you been to a Junior Dugout Club game this season? I bet 75% of those kids could not have cared less about the O's two years ago.

Competitive baseball is like a drug, and once you've got a taste of it you're hooked. The fanbase is in good shape for years to come.

Attendance all over baseball is pretty mediocre. Have you watched a Yankees game recently?

You can't build back in a season what took a decade of losing to tear down. But they are coming back. TV ratings are through the roof. And you'll see more O's gear in one day around Baltimore than you would have seen in a month 5 years ago. It will take time, but it's happening.

Instead of complaining about attendance, buy an 81 game package. After all, what's YOUR excuse?

Out at a local watering hole tonight (in a Nats affiliate town), I'd say there were probably more than 50 men & women wearing some kind of O's gear. It's something I haven't seen in years. The fans are indeed showing their love all over, not just in Baltimore. Before long we will be complaining about how hard it is to get good seats anymore.

Let me tell you guys something..........coming from a guy who lives in Norfolk and has to watch all but a weekend or two a year on tv every game, the difference is noticeable and enjoyable.

Don't feel too bad for me, I get to watch guys like urrutia and hoes....among many many others, come down the pipe in person.

But as I said, to those of you who go often, keep up the great work, it really makes the game that much more enjoyable to watch on tv when you are loud and into it. Having to settle for not just having to watch the last 14 years before last year, but having to watch them all on tv with no life at all coming out of the tube just makes you appreciate the noise and energy that much more. Well done fella's!

Archived