Time for a new closer, Johnson's time has come

ADZ23

We're all angry. This is the most pissed I've been in a long time. I'm just saying you can do better. The game thread is reactionary by definition, but at least chime in on occassion when things go well. Or just refrain from throwing every player under the bus. It's a long ass season, man.

But hey, thanks for acknowledging. And at least you're trying.

Oof.. I need to cool off myself. Sigh.

Yep I know. It's hard not to vent after losses like this though.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please don't be angry with the Hangout. Tony is aware of the game thread crashes and is addressing it.

Tony and the staff provide those of us who are financially limited with the opportunity to participate here and I am eternally grateful for that.

Just wanted to express my gratitude

On a side note I do some web development. DOS attacks happen to companies like Google and MS. I dont think its to crazy to expect that it would cause an issue here if some jerk did that. TY for fixing it :)

Unfortunately this is about par for the course. Buck's greatest flaw is that he lets veterans stay in fixed roles for too long even when it's clear that they are hurting the team. Last year it was keeping JJ Hardy in the 2 hole.

Its also a strength IMO

Bobby Valentine managed last season like many on here would want Buck to. We all saw how that worked out.

No. It's not time to yank JJ out of the closer roll. It's just not. I agree that maybe giving him a night off - if there's a close situation tomorrow night, maybe just roll someone else out there.

But JJ will work out of this. In fact, he looked a little better tonight. Still leaving stuff up a tad.

If you want to start yanking people out of the bullpen, please yank Strop out of all meaningful situations - if anything's even close. He drives me bananas - I want to rename him "Lucky Strike" because if he throws a strike, it's pure luck. Cannot stand a thrower who cannot friggin' pitch.

Also one of the reasons I usually get mad after bad losses is because for all we know it could be the difference between having to play the Wildcard game and winning the AL East and having home field advantage. At least that's how I look at it.

Low leverage? Everyone can't pitch in low leverage. Strop belongs in low leverage too. Patton hasn't exactly been great either.

Who said everyone? No need to trot hyperbole to make your point. Buck is going to stay with him but that doesn't mean he should. It's very reasonable to expect that some of these guys will go through stretches like this. Why should he be relegated to the "closer role" is beyond me.

There should be no closer. Whoever is pitching well at the time should be handed the ball to get the outs.

No,he is a bum out there. He has no control and after a hit he just loses it. Looks like he is throwing batting practice. 3 blown saves in a row really sucks.

Strop is no better, with his stupid cockeyed cap and pounding his chest and looking to the sky after giving up the winning run. What a goofball.

No,he is a bum out there. He has no control and after a hit he just loses it. Looks like he is throwing batting practice. 3 blown saves in a row really sucks.

Strop is no better, with his stupid cockeyed cap and pounding his chest and looking to the sky after giving up the winning run. What a goofball.

Yea I gotta admit that whole act just really irritated me (Strop)

Who said everyone? No need to trot hyperbole to make your point. Buck is going to stay with him but that doesn't mean he should. It's very reasonable to expect that some of these guys will go through stretches like this. Why should he be relegated to the "closer role" is beyond me.

There should be no closer. Whoever is pitching well at the time should be handed the ball to get the outs.

You are correct. It would be refreshing if an organization would take a moneyball type of approach to the 9th inning and pretend that the stupid save statistic didn't exist.

I don't think it is the end of the world. Seems like even when Johnson is his best, there are a lot of people on base, and some drama. Right now his sinker is flat and getting hammered. I remember that being the case at some point last year also. Give it a few more games before we turn to Strop/Hunter/whoever.

Sure, you can keep running him out there to let him work out the mechanical problems. But you don't need to keep running him out in save situations. Let him work in low-leverage relief until he's locked in again.

Exactly. Use O'Day and Hunter (should be Hunter, but Buck would probably go with O'Day) for a series or two while Johnson works on his issues in lower leverage situations.

The guy made one bad pitch. He gave up 1 ER. He was much better than yesterday. He's close.

He made more than one bad pitch, that was just the only one they took full advantage of.

Johnson's shoulder is flying open instead of staying closed which is resulting in the ball going up in the zone and not having the same bite that his typical 2-seamer does. This could be, and probably is, a combination of fatigue and frustration. He's just trying to do too much and his body is keeping him from being successful despite his mindset.

For now, he just needs to go out and focus on command. The sheer number of pitches he threw that were way too high was staggering and way more concerning than the homerun ball, in my opinion.

really. I am sure his teammates aren't too thrilled right about now.

Get Pedro and his cockeyed hat out of there too. Walks off pounding his chest and looking to the sky after giving up the winning run.

What a goofball he is.

Archived