Time for a new closer, Johnson's time has come

ADZ23

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am on record as being opposed to the very concept of closers since before Buck was manager. I advocated looking into trading JJ during the season last year and during the offseason.

This is not me being reactionary.

I never said you were reactionary. I admire your bullheaded and quixotic devotion to this lost cause. :)

I used to be a anti-closer zealot, too. But I drank a good beer and accepted that better is the enemy of good enough.

Manny Machado better be careful. A few more 0-5 games or an error or two and he will benched and or traded SMH.

JJ is a proven and productive commodity who is in a funk at a bad time. It happens to just about every closer but 1-2 a year who are not HOF closers named Mariano Rivera

Manny Machado better be careful. A few more 0-5 games or an error or two and he will benched and or traded SMH.

JJ is a proven and productive commodity who is in a funk at a bad time. It happens to just about every closer but 1-2 a year who are not HOF closers named Mariano Rivera

Not 0-5 games, but if he loses us 3 consecutive games in the 9th by letting ground balls go through his legs people will probably suggest a late inning defensive replacement until he gets things worked out.

You don't move JJ after three or four bad outings. IMO

Maybe not but we can't keep throwing away winnable games either. We can gripe about how the offense only scored four runs on 13 hits but the fact remains they gave Jim Johnson a lead and for the third game in a row,he couldn't protect it.

Maybe not but we can't keep throwing away winnable games either. We can gripe about how the offense only scored four runs on 13 hits but the fact remains they gave Jim Johnson a lead and for the third game in a row,he couldn't protect it.

Who else would you use in that situation? Knowing now that the hitters due up

had better averages against Matusz than against Johnson.

I like the way the pen is set up now. O'Day is an old school fireman. You can bring him in any time to get out of a jam. JJ is a decent closer. The only other guy I would try as a closer is Hunter. Matusz and Strop don't have the temperament IMO. That's the chief quality a closer has to have, IMO, the right temperament. It's not so much the stuff.

I am on record as being opposed to the very concept of closers since before Buck was manager. I advocated looking into trading JJ during the season last year and during the offseason.

This is not me being reactionary.

I never said you were reactionary. I admire your bullheaded and quixotic devotion to this lost cause. :)

I used to be a anti-closer zealot, too. But I drank a good beer and accepted that better is the enemy of good enough.

And good enough is the enemy of Kevin Gregg.

Billy Ball Rule Number 1 - Trade your closer.

I like the way the pen is set up now. O'Day is an old school fireman. You can bring him in any time to get out of a jam. JJ is a decent closer. The only other guy I would try as a closer is Hunter. Matusz and Strop don't have the temperament IMO. That's the chief quality a closer has to have, IMO, the right temperament. It's not so much the stuff.

I agree, but Hunter has improved his CB this year and he's mixing his pitches better. Most of all, he has good command of them.

I agree, but Hunter has improved his CB this year and he's mixing his pitches better. Most of all, he has good command of them.
As I said I don't think it's the stuff. It's the ability to come back after getting hit. Like with boxing. Some guys are invincible until they get knocked down. Then not so much. The great ones can comer back after a knock out. We'll see with JJ. He had such a long run without losing, he forgot how to do that. Hopefully he'll remember soon.

And good enough is the enemy of Kevin Gregg.

Billy Ball Rule Number 1 - Trade your closer.

I don't know why you think I am a money ball fanboy.

What I really want is the elimination of ALL roles on the pitching staff. No LOOGYs, no Closers, no Starters.

Archived