Time for a new closer, Johnson's time has come

ADZ23

Are closers suppose to strike out a lot of guys? I thought the object is to not allow players to score. JJ had a 1.02 whip last year. Many of those strikeout closers had whips higher than JJs which meant that they were allowing more runners on base to potentially score on a base hit. Because he is a groundball pitcher, many of those baserunners get eliminated by double plays.

Yes because BABIP is a cruel mistress.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because JJ doesn't strike out a lot of guys as a closer is supposed to, it's hard to watch him if he's even a little off.

Bingo! If his sinker isn't sinking, he's very hittable. O'Day, meanwhile, is very deceptive in his pitches. I wouldn't mind O'Day closing for awhile, until Johnson can figure it out, however how long it's going to take.

Are closers suppose to strike out a lot of guys? I thought the object is to not allow players to score. JJ had a 1.02 whip last year. Many of those strikeout closers had whips higher than JJs which meant that they were allowing more runners on base to potentially score on a base hit. Because he is a groundball pitcher, many of those baserunners get eliminated by double plays.

Ideally, yes. Yes they are.

The heck with the closer role,you put someone in that can get the job done.

ANd right now,Jim Johnson is not that person.

And they can start with some smart-pass reporter asking Buck about his famous 2012 quote:

Showalter: "I'm more interested in the win rule than the save rule."

And they can start with some smart-pass reporter asking Buck about his famous 2012 quote:

Showalter: "I'm more interested in the win rule than the save rule."

The quote was from when he took over the team in 2010.

Once he had established himself with the team he went back to robo-managing the 9th inning like everyone else.

Man you were a straight up joke in the game thread. Came out of the woodwork when we blew the save as usual. You're seriously THE worst poster on this board and it's a damn miracle you're not banned. You should thank Tony for being so generous with the sorry crap you spew nightly.

Joedog and his TWO red pips disagrees.

JJ hasn't been the same since blowing those games in the playoffs.

Why do people keep saying this? Are you just ignoring the first month and a half of this season when Johnson converted all 14 saves and his stuff looked as sharp as ever?

Why do people keep saying this? Are you just ignoring the first month and a half of this season when Johnson converted all 14 saves and his stuff looked as sharp as ever?

Because it's easier than saying this is baseball and this sometimes happens in baseball.

Blow 3 saves, player bad

Get 3 saves, player good.

This place cracks me up sometimes, but that is what it is here for I guess, entertainment. It takes all kinds to make an online community.

Because it's easier than saying this is baseball and this sometimes happens in baseball.

Blow 3 saves, player bad

Get 3 saves, player good.

This place cracks me up sometimes, but that is what it is here for I guess, entertainment. It takes all kinds to make an online community.

Indeed. Under this assessment, Billy Wagner was horrible (he once blew 3 saves in a row) and the wonderful Greg Holland is good because he got 3 saves in a row this year.

People need narratives that simplify the world into neat and tidy bins of clear cause and effect. It's hard to deal with random crap happening for no good reason. Our world would be much tidier if Johnson blew up in the playoffs and had that carry over. But that's simply not true.

It seems whatever greatness Johnson had has left him. It started in the playoss last year. Just can't trust him anymore unfortunately.

Yup, that is the only logical conclusion. Might as well cut him or relegate him to mop up duty. He is this years Kevin Gregg. Ironically, it looks like Kevin Gregg is this years Jim Johnson. Damn it, why didn't we keep him.

Archived