Time for a new closer, Johnson's time has come

ADZ23

Is it? How often do we bat our DH in the 9 hole? We have no starting second baseman. JJ Hardy is a double play machine when he goes up to bat. Our rotation is a mess and outside of O'Day and maybe Matusz the bullpen isn't a shutdown pen anymore.

I say let Johnson work out the kinks. There's no one else I trust in his spot anyway. Dennis Eckersley ain't walking through that door...

Yes it is. I wouldn't be one bit angry at JJ if I didn't think it was.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Johnson has been over-used. 22 appearances already, including a stretch in which he pitched 5 of 6 days.

Buck is adhering far too much to the "save rule" right now. 4 straight lefties coming up, Johnson threw 35 two days ago, and Matusz is on the bench until we've already blown the game.

I'm not saying we should remove JJ from the role but I think at least 50% of managers go to Matusz tonight in that situation.

It's really, really, REALLY hard to stay optimistic here. But from June 29th, 2012 to July 17th, 2012, JJ had the following stats:

10 IP

22 H

16 R (14 earned)

2 BB

3 SO

1 HBP

12.60 ERA

973 OPS against

431/463/510 slash line

Lost a game

Blew 2 saves

After that he went 14 consecutive outings without allowing a run in 13 2/3 IP only allowing 6 hits while striking out 12 and converting 11 saves.

That said, this is really killing this team since it's now a 6 game losing streak with subpar starting pitching. Being 23-21 is a lot worse than being 26-18.

Man you were a straight up joke in the game thread. Came out of the woodwork when we blew the save as usual. You're seriously THE worst poster on this board and it's a damn miracle you're not banned. You should thank Tony for being so generous with the sorry crap you spew nightly.

I know I go over the top when things are bad and I try not to. But when things are going good I don't really post, I just browse. I wouldn't get so angry if I didn't think this team was good but its gets really frustrating. Every game is huge and to see them lose these last 6 is very frustrating.

We don't have to write off JJ, but he needs to take a break from save opportunities for a while. Even the best closers blow a save every now and then, but three in a row is a trend. He's lost command of his breaking stuff and he's leaving his fastball up in the zone. You can't keep letting him lose games while he's pitching this badly.

Let JJ work in low leverage situations for a while and go to a closer-by-committee for two or three weeks--O'Day, Matusz, Strop and Hunter can all get opportunities here and there. Once JJ regains command of all his pitches, ease him back into higher leverage situations.

This minus Strop. The only I would pitch him is with at least a 5 run lead....and even then I would second guess myself.

Johnson is still in the middle right now. He is trying to overthrow the ball and not get the sink. This is also causing the difference in his change and fast ball speed. Tonight he threw a fastball at 94 then 95 then 93 which is ok but then a change at 91. When he is on his is consistantly 94-95 fast ball and 88-89 on the change. He needs to be atleast 6 mph apart to be getting guys out.

We should trade him for a legitimate DH, I think O'Day will be an even better closer.

Sad that we would have to trade for something we should have signed in the offseason.

Say what you will but the Yanks went and got Halfner, Overbay and Wells all of whom are contributing. We have Pearce, Valencia and Reimold. Based on career stats and history the results on the field should not be a surprise to anyone. Yea those guys are not what they once were but they far superior options to what we are trotting out there IMO

As much as I hate Johnson right now, I think you keep running him out there, as long as he's healthy. Johnson needs to go to the videotape and see what he's been doing differently. His command sucks right now. I know we can't rely on Rick Adair to help him.

Sure, you can keep running him out there to let him work out the mechanical problems. But you don't need to keep running him out in save situations. Let him work in low-leverage relief until he's locked in again.

I think you have been very good about this.

I know I go over the top when things are bad and I try not to. But when things are going good I don't really post, I just browse. I wouldn't get so angry if I didn't think this team was good but its gets really frustrating. Every game is huge and to see them lose these last 6 is very frustrating.

We're all angry. This is the most pissed I've been in a long time. I'm just saying you can do better. The game thread is reactionary by definition, but at least chime in on occassion when things go well. Or just refrain from throwing every player under the bus. It's a long ass season, man.

Please don't be angry with the Hangout. Tony is aware of the game thread crashes and is addressing it.

Seems like Buck has no plans to make a change from his post game interview. ..

Unfortunately this is about par for the course. Buck's greatest flaw is that he lets veterans stay in fixed roles for too long even when it's clear that they are hurting the team. Last year it was keeping JJ Hardy in the 2 hole.

Archived