Tacoma News Tribune-Bedard Trade Status

TheBee

Bedard trade to Mariners stallsLARRY LARUE; The News Tribune Published: January 4th, 2008 01:00 AM

The scenario the Seattle Mariners knew was likely became a little more so Thursday, when the Baltimore Orioles said their current plans are to open the 2008 season with left-hander Erik Bedard as their ace.

“The likelihood of doing something prior to 2008 is very, very low in my estimation,” Orioles general manager Andy MacPhail told the Baltimore Sun.

While that might be meant to drive offers up, MacPhail has been adamant for months that Bedard – a 28-year-old under contract for another two years – would only be dealt if an offer was overwhelming.

The Mariners, Blue Jays, Reds and others have tried without success and the offseason auction of three top pitchers – Bedard, Minnesota’s Johan Santana and Oakland’s Dan Haren – has produced just one trade.

Haren went to the Arizona Diamondbacks for a package of young players, but neither Santana or Bedard has landed anywhere despite plenty of bids.

The Mariners were willing to deal outfielder Adam Jones, catcher Jeff Clement and young pitching – anyone but Brandon Morrow. That offer has been on the table more than a month, and the Orioles haven’t accepted.

While Seattle wouldn’t talk about Bedard on Thursday, Baltimore’s willingness to go into the season with their No. 1 pitcher on the roster is hardly a surprise.

Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi has said both Minnesota and Baltimore are in enviable positions – sitting on top-of-the-rotation pitchers who will either help their teams this season or, if traded, help retool a franchise.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is so flipping infuriating.... ARRAGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Why? If the Orioles have determined that Morrrow must be part of the package and the Mariners have refused to do so then why should the Orioles give in? Try being frusterated with the Mariners. We have 1 key chip and if we aren't getting everything we demand then we shouldn't settle for less. Apparantely the Mariners aren't serious about contending in 08' That is the message they are sending their fan base by not including the one player the Orioles are demanding. I have no problem with MacPhail's hardline stance. Good for him. If others of the past were still in charge we would have settled for less. MacPhail won't and that is what is best for the Orioles.

What about this report doesn't seem credible to you? The fact that it comes from an actual news source or that it doesn't come from BB?

The O's are not three players or even four players away from contending. After listening to Kubatko last night, I understand that the plan should be to stock every level of the farm system with major league quality players. We need to get the best out of this trade and have no doubt that if we're giving up potentially the next Johan Santana within the same league that we are improving in other areas.

What about this report doesn't seem credible to you? The fact that it comes from an actual news source or that it doesn't come from BB?

The O's are not three players or even four players away from contending. After listening to Kubatko last night, I understand that the plan should be to stock every level of the farm system with major league quality players. We need to get the best out of this trade and have no doubt that if we're giving up potentially the next Johan Santana within the same league that we are improving in other areas.

This is a very valid report. Again, a package of Jones, Clement, Tillman and Sherrill is an excellant return. You add your CF for the next 5-6 years, a front line pitching prospect (who will probably end up being better than Morrow), a shut down LHRP who can be dealt at the deadline if needed and a top prospect who can be flipped if desired.

This is a very valid report. Again, a package of Jones, Clement, Tillman and Sherrill is an excellant return. You add your CF for the next 5-6 years, a front line pitching prospect (who will probably end up being better than Morrow), a shut down LHRP who can be dealt at the deadline if needed and a top prospect who can be flipped if desired.

Agreed. And if this offer has been turned down, then I think we're making a mistake.

Because we are trying to rebuild, and we have been offered a trade that consists of two of the top 40 prospects in baseball... and additional prospects...

Holding out for Morrow, is not a necessity... and getting Jones and Clement (the actual keys to the trade) is not settling for less.

What it shows is a total lack of committment to trade Bedard, and begin the process of rebuilding.

While Bedard is the only established ace on this team, we are not projected to contend until 2010... so what good is he doing for this team now?

We certainly have an organization with a number of other quality starting arms...

Cabrera, Guthrie, Loewen, Olson, Penn, Patton, Liz, Albers, Erbe, Beato, Spoone, Arrieta, Bascom...

Not all of these players will develop, but through pure numbers some will.

What we lack is the corresponding positional prospects... Jones and Clement, when added to Markakis, Reimold, Wieters, Rowell, and Snyder... gets us that much closer to the our future core.

Pull the trigger... that is more than a fair offer, its everything we deserve and than some...

Would serve the O's right to go to camp, and watch Bedard blow out his arm...

I agree 100%. The Orioles may end up with nothing but 1 or 2 draft picks if they don't pull the trigger soon. Bedard is an excellent pitcher but is closing in on 30 and to date he has 40 career wins. He's not the 2nd coming of Sandy Koufax.

Why? If the Orioles have determined that Morrrow must be part of the package and the Mariners have refused to do so then why should the Orioles give in? Try being frusterated with the Mariners. We have 1 key chip and if we aren't getting everything we demand then we shouldn't settle for less. Apparantely the Mariners aren't serious about contending in 08' That is the message they are sending their fan base by not including the one player the Orioles are demanding. I have no problem with MacPhail's hardline stance. Good for him. If others of the past were still in charge we would have settled for less. MacPhail won't and that is what is best for the Orioles.

If BB is right, we are looking at 3 top 100 prospects coming back to us plus a potential closer who could be kept or, as has been said, flipped later...In essence, we could end up with 5-6 blue chippers for Bedard in the long run.

It is absurd of AM to turn that offer down if it is indeed there.

Insisting on a DCab part 2 to be part of this deal when there is a lot of other talent in the package is absurd.

Thanks BB. This post confirms what we have been hoping to understand as truth, rather than speculation/opinion.

Jones, Clement, Sherrill and Tillman is a very fair offer, and as you said, Sherrill can and should be dealt at the next deadline, making this offer even more impressive.

I'd pull the trigger, but I am not holding the gun, am I?

The O's are not one player away from contending. So keeping Bedard as opposed to getting two or possibly three impact players which can help over the next several years is absolutley the wrong thing to do.

BTW, for those who don't know, Tillman was rated a 4 star prospect by BP and their second best prospect overall...Clement was 1st and was a 5 star prospect.

Jones wasn't eligible.

Tillman was 19 years old and split time between the 2 levels of Single A and held his own...Had a very good K rate.

He obviously still has things to work on by he was very good considering he was only 19.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/T/Christopher-Tillman.shtml

If BB is right, we are looking at 3 top 100 prospects coming back to us plus a potential closer who could be kept or, as has been said, flipped later...In essence, we could end up with 5-6 blue chippers for Bedard in the long run.

It is absurd of AM to turn that offer down if it is indeed there.

Insisting on a DCab part 2 to be part of this deal when there is a lot of other talent in the package is asburd.

But SG that wouldnt be the Oriole Way!

The more I think about it, the more pissed I get at that deal BB is talking about if it is indeed on the table and if we will not make it.

IF you get Clement, you should be able to flip him elsewhere for a top SS prospect(Brignac?).

If you can't do that, you could likely flip Hernandez(and a reliever) for Jack Wilson and then start Clement at the catchers spot.

The Braves had Salty and McCann...They were able to get Tex back and kept McCann.

Archived