Tacoma News Tribune-Bedard Trade Status

TheBee

I have nothing but bad vibes about Bedard's being on this team come March/April. He might pitch well. He might not. He might get hurt.Three things can happen with him, two of them bad. One of them disasterous.It's not worth the risk if we're being offered something that will really help.

I think the Mariners will offer one potential star, a LH-hitting catcher w/power, something that is extremely rare and a great trade commodity in its own right, plus two other decent players, and I gather that they'll be flexible on #3 and #4 if we drop the insistance on Morrow.If we'll add somebody to Bedard, we'll probably get a lot more flexibility, and possibly a fifth player at a position like second.I didn't like Cincinnatti's rumored trade at all, nor do I think the Angels are a good match.

But if the rumor is true, this one has the makings of a really good one for the Orioles. Take it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The more I think about it, the more pissed I get at that deal BB is talking about if it is indeed on the table and if we will not make it.

The issues are:

1. Is the deal really on the table?

2. Is MacPhail jeopardizing it by not leaping at it, or can he afford to fish around for a week or two to see if he can do better?

If the answers are yes and yes, then I probably agree with you. But I don't really know the answers to these questions, so I'm giving MacPhail the benefit of the doubt.

P.S. - My 18,000th post - only 34,000+ to catch you!

The issues are:

2. Is MacPhail jeopardizing it by not leaping at it, or can he afford to fish around for a week or two to see if he can do better?

If the answers are yes and yes, then I probably agree with you. But I don't really know the answers to these questions, so I'm giving MacPhail the benefit of the doubt.

Out of curiousity....Why?

The more I think about it, the more pissed I get at that deal BB is talking about if it is indeed on the table and if we will not make it.

IF you get Clement, you should be able to flip him elsewhere for a top SS prospect(Brignac?).

If you can't do that, you could likely flip Hernandez(and a reliever) for Jack Wilson and then start Clement at the catchers spot.

The Braves had Salty and McCann...They were able to get Tex back and kept McCann.

I've noticed this mentioned by you a few times, and I'm curious why you want a 30 year old SS coming off a year in which he hit 100 points higher (.790) in OPS than his 9 year career average (.690)? FWIW he is probably more realistically about .740, looking at the last 4 years.

We are looking to rebuild, so for me getting an older player who doesn't factor into our future makes little sense. Just my take.

The issues are:

Grats on 18,000. Check your PM when you get the chance. :)

Probably because Frobby is generally a positive person, as am I so we think he will get it done. Others want to see it before they will believe.

I would be in that group. I think he's made two pretty good deals up to this point, and I'm optimistic that he can get the most from trading Bedard and Roberts.

I know I'm getting anxious to get something done, though. I'm tired of waiting...we've been waiting for 10 years. The longer this drags out, the less optimistic I am.

If this deal that BB suggested was actually offered by Seattle, I would be extremely disappointed that we turned it down.

As Tony's tagline says: "Actions speak louder than words"

I've noticed this mentioned by you a few times, and I'm curious why you want a 30 year old SS coming off a year in which he hit 100 points higher (.790) in OPS than his 9 year career average (.690)? FWIW he is probably more realistically about .740, looking at the last 4 years.

We are looking to rebuild, so for me getting an older player who doesn't factor into our future makes little sense. Just my take.

I don't really want Wilson.

However, i am guessing, if that deal is on the table, 2 things are holding it up:

1) AM thinks he should get Morrow and Clement and Jones.

2) AM thinks we are deep enough at catcher and wants Morrow instead of Clement.

If the answer is #1, AM is nuts...Besides, Tillman may be better anyway.

If the answer is #2, then we can do one of 2 things...Flip Clement for other prospect(s) or trade Ramon....Ramon doesn't have much value now but trading him for Wilson provides us value for a few reasons:

1) It makes it easier for AM to do the Seattle deal as he can start Clement.

2) By trading Bedard, it opens the door for us to trade BRob.

So, even though I would prefer not to trade for Wilson, i would make this deal to facilitate everything else.

It is a small price to pay for the long term betterment of the team.

I would be in that group. I think he's made two pretty good deals up to this point, and I'm optimistic that he can get the most from trading Bedard and Roberts.

I know I'm getting anxious to get something done, though. I'm tired of waiting...we've been waiting for 10 years. The longer this drags out, the less optimistic I am.

If this deal that BB suggested was actually offered by Seattle, I would be extremely disappointed that we turned it down.

As Tony's tagline says: "Actions speak louder than words"

And after 10 years, you all have every right to want to see it. Actually, I will be the one who is really let down if nothing gets done. I really believe it will, so if it doesn't, I am going to be very dissapointed.

I don't really want Wilson.

However, i am guessing, if that deal is on the table, 2 things are holding it up:

1) AM thinks he should get Morrow and Clement and Jones.

2) AM thinks we are deep enough at catcher and wants Morrow instead of Clement.

If the answer is #1, AM is nuts...Besides, Tillman may be better anyway.

If the answer is #2, then we can do one of 2 things...Flip Clement for other prospect(s) or trade Ramon....Ramon doesn't have much value now but trading him for Wilson provides us value for a few reasons:

1) It makes it easier for AM to do the Seattle deal as he can start Clement.

2) By trading Bedard, it opens the door for us to trade BRob.

So, even though I would prefer not to trade for Wilson, i would make this deal to facilitate everything else.

It is a small price to pay for the long term betterment of the team.

I understand your post, however I still don't see how getting Jack Wilson would give AM the freedom to pull the trigger on Seattle's offer. Clement can split time w/Ramon and DH, or even start off at AAA. What happens with Ramon should have zero bearing on our off-season plans of dealing our big chips.

To add some balance, BBHQ's Seattle list came out yesterday. Jones also isn't eligible for them (he was their #1 for Sea last year).

BBHQ actually has Triunfel listed first (admittedly, this surprised me). They also said something about him that surprised me - "Possesses arm strength and soft hands, but made 36 errors and low range may not work at SS."

The rest of their list:

Clement

Tony Butler - LHP - 20

Tillman

Balentein

Phillippe Aumont - RHP - 19

Juan Ramirez - RHP - 19

Greg Halman - OF - 21

Kam Mickolio - RHP - 22

Matt Mangini - 3B - 22

Overall Grades:

Hitting - B

Pitching - B

Top End Talent - B

Overall - B

This is what they said about Tillman:

Yeah, Triunfel is likely going to slide to 3B, according to various reports. I know the early word on him seemed to compare him with Andrus, and while he may be as good or better with the bat, Triunfel's defensive issues may be his shortcomings. :D

Because we are trying to rebuild, and we have been offered a trade that consists of two of the top 40 prospects in baseball... and additional prospects...

Holding out for Morrow, is not a necessity... and getting Jones and Clement (the actual keys to the trade) is not settling for less.

What it shows is a total lack of committment to trade Bedard, and begin the process of rebuilding.

While Bedard is the only established ace on this team, we are not projected to contend until 2010... so what good is he doing for this team now?

We certainly have an organization with a number of other quality starting arms...

Cabrera, Guthrie, Loewen, Olson, Penn, Patton, Liz, Albers, Erbe, Beato, Spoone, Arrieta, Bascom...

Not all of these players will develop, but through pure numbers some will.

What we lack is the corresponding positional prospects... Jones and Clement, when added to Markakis, Reimold, Wieters, Rowell, and Snyder... gets us that much closer to the our future core.

Pull the trigger... that is more than a fair offer, its everything we deserve and than some...

Would serve the O's right to go to camp, and watch Bedard blow out his arm...

Obviously, MacPhail disagrees with you. IMO, he is doing the right thing.... and for exactly the reasons you state.

Archived