Tacoma News Tribune-Bedard Trade Status

TheBee

His status as a prospect, his age, his stuff, his stats at a young age and his projectability are all enough for him to be a solid third piece to the puzzle.

No one disagrees that his age, stuff, and stats make him appear to be an appropriate third piece. But the Orioles may have seen something in him that makes them think different. You should also keep in mind that the Mariners are notorious for rushing their prospects through the minors, so it is not unusual for them to have guys that are young for their league and maybe seem to be better prospects than they are (though Tillman's sample size in A+ does seem significant).

I just always try to remember Denny Bautista. Yes it was a stupid to trade him for Grimsley because his perceived value was higher than that. However, the Orioles by all accounts saw something they didn't like and got rid of him. They were derided for it by many people who pretended they had traded the next Kazmir. Turns out that the Orioles saw something others didn't.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is hope that he might do that, as he finally dropped his demand for Bruce after a month, but it seems he was too late in doing that because the Reds moved on right after. Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen with the Mariners. The key is to keep the Angels in it.

I heard Callis say on XM today that he expected either Boston or Anahiem to land Santana so if they get him before Bedard is dealt, the suitors for Bedard goes down to two and both in opposite leagues not to mention not in the same division. The only way to maximize the return for Bedard is to deal him to the Angels or Mariners, so we've got to act before the Angels start pursuing Santana more aggressively...

I was gone for a while, and didn't see that Cincinnati moved on. Was that reported by an insider or a media outlet?

No one disagrees that his age, stuff, and stats make him appear to be an appropriate third piece. But the Orioles may have seen something in him that makes them think different. You should also keep in mind that the Mariners are notorious for rushing their prospects through the minors, so it is not unusual for them to have guys that are young for their league and maybe seem to be better prospects than they are (though Tillman's sample size in A+ does seem significant).

I just always try to remember Denny Bautista. Yes it was a stupid to trade him for Grimsley because his perceived value was higher than that. However, the Orioles by all accounts saw something they didn't like and got rid of him. They were derided for it by many people who pretended they had traded the next Kazmir. Turns out that the Orioles saw something others didn't.

The bottom line is the Orioles are being offered 2 blue chippers to start the package...You can't think you are going to get a ton more than that and then, a guy who may be a top 100 prospect and a top 3 prospect in the mariners organization is added to the deal?!

It would be one thing if Tillman was the #2 guy but he is #3.

I agree the Mariners package is probably good enough but at this point, why not try to wait Seattle out on Morrow? I mean, from everything I hear, they aren't in on Santana so there's no one else available who they will give this package up for.

Or they thought they saw something, and they got lucky.

Most young MiL pitchers, even the ones with real talent, come with questions about their value and future. For every one who hits, there will be people saying, "I told you so." For every one who misses, the same.

You can't pick any one individual player and assign special powers of perception to those who got it right that time. Show me that they consistently got it right for three or four straight years, and I'll start to think that they really have something figured out.

I do know this. Given enough time, anybody who makes a habit of trading promising young MiL pitchers for broken-down vets is going to end up making some really embarrassing mistakes .

bigbird said it here

I'm not sure how credible this guy is but he insist the Reds are still trying!

http://mlb-rumors.blogspot.com/

The Reds are still looking for pitching: Even though they are still in trade talks with the Orioles, the Reds have started looking into free agents Livan Hernandez and Jon Lieber. Hernandez would be a great pick up, I think Lieber is a little past his prime.

For those of you who read Churchill's Mariners blog ProspectInsider.com, he's got some info out there that you have to pay $2.50 for to download called "Stuff I'm Not Supposed to Tell You," but it is worth it to get the latest developments. Don't ask me to post it because it is premium info, but if you are curious like I was, it's out there...

The orioles need to make that Jones, Clement, Tillman, and Sherrill deal if that is truly on the table. I understand wanting to get more, but this is a really solid offer. Maybe AM trade of Viola haunts him. In a very similar position AM could have really gotten a solid return but did not. I think he should learn from that trade and realize too that an in season trade of a top line starter often yeilds little in the way of MLB worthy prospects.

This trade needs to happen withing the next week IMO. If you get too close to reporting dates then coaches start penciling in players and getting attached to certain strategies and options. It may be wierd but I think the trade value of a guy like Sherrill or someone like that gets higher closer to the season and that, although we don't need him in the trade, the likelihood of another player being added becomes less.

For those of you who read Churchill's Mariners blog ProspectInsider.com, he's got some info out there that you have to pay $2.50 for to download called "Stuff I'm Not Supposed to Tell You," but it is worth it to get the latest developments. Don't ask me to post it because it is premium info, but if you are curious like I was, it's out there...
For those of you who are interested, I have an Uncle Linguini who is very into book making and he has some incredible sources, but I can't tell you anything because then he would have to kill me.

:002_sbiggrin:

The orioles need to make that Jones, Clement, Tillman, and Sherrill deal if that is truly on the table. I understand wanting to get more, but this is a really solid offer. Maybe AM trade of Viola haunts him. In a very similar position AM could have really gotten a solid return but did not. I think he should learn from that trade and realize too that an in season trade of a top line starter often yeilds little in the way of MLB worthy prospects.

This trade needs to happen withing the next week IMO. If you get too close to reporting dates then coaches start penciling in players and getting attached to certain strategies and options. It may be wierd but I think the trade value of a guy like Sherrill or someone like that gets higher closer to the season and that, although we don't need him in the trade, the likelihood of another player being added becomes less.

That proposed trade is excellent. I cannot believe that has been offered, or is on the table. Sherrill would be a key guy to me, as he would make Walker a very valuable trade piece, or be flipped himself. Same thing with Clement and/or Ramon. The problem is, at this pace we'd need until january of '09 to get three trades done.

Orioles info?

Archived