The Back End of the BP Is Stronger

Il BuonO

This a reply to Frobby's thread that stated our BP is weaker this year as a unit. I agree with that assessment, but with Hunter, O'Day and Johnson all performing at optimal levels I'd argue that this year is improved over last year if you substitute Hunter for Strop.

Hunter is more likely to be around the plate and so you can bring him in whether or not there are runners on base. Frobby noted that the BP have blown 13 saves so far, but Hunter, O'Day and Johnson have combined for only six of those(Hunter is at 100% while O'Day has surprisingly blown two).

Hunter's IR% is at 18% and 26% for his career in 48 games out of the pen. Strop for his career is 41%.

Hunter has increased his SO to BB ratio since becoming a reliever to 4.29 this year while Strop for his career walks 5.5 batters per 9 innings. It makes it much easier to think about bringing a guy in who doesn't have command issues.

Whatever order Buck decides to use them any of these guys will be an improvement as the season goes on simply because Hunter has always been around the plate and he is using a better arsenal of pitches this year.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 consecutive solid outings from the bullpen.

ORIOLES BULLPEN O (vs. RED SOX, 6/14)

(Darren O'Day, Tommy Hunter, Jimmy Johnson)

IP:. 3 O(SAVE) .[Johnson] *

H:o 0

R:O 0

BB: 0 **

SO: 2

Pitches: 31 (22 Strikes, 9 Balls)

* The bullpen (O'Day) entered the game with a runner on 2nd base, and no outs.

** The bullpen (Johnson) had 1 hit batsman.

With those three guys (when J.J. is going good), it's pretty much automatic.

And if Patton can regain the consistency that he had for most of last year and the early part of this year, we'll be looking at one of the top bullpens in all of baseball.

This a reply to Frobby's thread that stated our BP is weaker this year as a unit. I agree with that assessment, but with Hunter, O'Day and Johnson all performing at optimal levels I'd argue that this year is improved over last year if you substitute Hunter for Strop.

Hunter is more likely to be around the plate and so you can bring him in whether or not there are runners on base. Frobby noted that the BP have blown 13 saves so far, but Hunter, O'Day and Johnson have combined for only six of those(Hunter is at 100% while O'Day has surprisingly blown two).

Hunter's IR% is at 18% and 26% for his career in 48 games out of the pen. Strop for his career is 41%.

Hunter has increased his SO to BB ratio since becoming a reliever to 4.29 this year while Strop for his career walks 5.5 batters per 9 innings. It makes it much easier to think about bringing a guy in who doesn't have command issues.

Whatever order Buck decides to use them any of these guys will be an improvement as the season goes on simply because Hunter has always been around the plate and he is using a better arsenal of pitches this year.

You make an interesting point about Hunter vs. Strop. I'm still trying to get my head around Hunter being a dominant reliever, after watching him as a mediocre starter for long. O'Day's on a real nice roll right now, 10 straight scoreless appearances with 5 hits allowed and no walks.

You make an interesting point about Hunter vs. Strop. I'm still trying to get my head around Hunter being a dominant reliever after watching him as a mediocre starter for long. O'Day's on a real nice roll right now, 10 straight scoreless appearances with 5 hits allowed and no walks.

Somewhat similar to Brian Matusz' excellent pitching out of the bullpen down the stretch last year after several years of struggling as a starter.

Buck doesn't pitch the same guys like the game vs the Angels. He brought in Strop and the fans were yelling at him for not bringing in O'Day and Hunter. I guess they would have pitched those guys 4 days in a row. I am not sure who will be available tonight though. I doubt Hunter is since he has gone 3 and a third the last two nights. Johnson should be good and O'Day maybe an inning. If Garcia doesn't go 7 we will be needing Patton or Matusz today since I do not want to see Strop or Arrieta.

Somewhat similar to Brian Matusz' excellent pitching out of the bullpen down the stretch last year after several years of struggling as a starter.

Matusz is the key right now to the pen. Our RHP except Strop look great right now. You aren't going to have everyone going great at the same time but we need a lefty that we can count on. Patton is looking a little better.

You make an interesting point about Hunter vs. Strop. I'm still trying to get my head around Hunter being a dominant reliever, after watching him as a mediocre starter for long. O'Day's on a real nice roll right now, 10 straight scoreless appearances with 5 hits allowed and no walks.

I was, too, for a bit. The increase in velocity and his command were two things that made me feel better about it. He couldn't seem to sustain that type of velo for more than a few innings when he started and he's also developed better command of his breaking stuff. The cutter which comes in at anywhere from 89-92 is used less frequently than as when he was starting.

The biggest thing, though, may be Tommy's make up. He seems entirely suited to come out of the pen in any situation. I especially liked when struck out Pujols vs the Angels with high heat.

Pretty hard to catch up to that at the letters at 98 mph and two strikes when he's throwing strikes.

You make an interesting point about Hunter vs. Strop. I'm still trying to get my head around Hunter being a dominant reliever...

This time last year Lindstrom was a great set-up to JJ, before fading and getting traded. Hunter doesn't throw the cutter

much ,if at all, anymore and uses his off-speed more. With the velo increase he is set up to dominate. Problem is we were

using him as a long man and now we need someone else to fill that role. We need someone to step up and get us from 5-6 to 8 other than McFarland.

If Johnson hadn't had that rough stretch (which I do not feel is completely over) and blew some save we would be in first right now and we probably wouldn't be talking about the pen as much IMO. Being able to have faith in just the backend of the pen (Matusz has been ok) has to be very tough for a manager who needs at least one more reliever to be able to functionally pitch an inning to have a shot. If the Orioles are going to trade for anything at this point I would rather it be a quality reliever because I really do think that the starters will turn things around (this mindset goes away if Chen is out for an extended period of time).

If Johnson hadn't had that rough stretch (which I do not feel is completely over) and blew some save we would be in first right now and we probably wouldn't be talking about the pen as much IMO. Being able to have faith in just the backend of the pen (Matusz has been ok) has to be very tough for a manager who needs at least one more reliever to be able to functionally pitch an inning to have a shot. If the Orioles are going to trade for anything at this point I would rather it be a quality reliever because I really do think that the starters will turn things around (this mindset goes away if Chen is out for an extended period of time).

I don't think they trade for one. It's not DD's style, or should I say he knows where his bread is buttered. Expenditures for relievers is not a good outlay of resources, neither is trading away prospects. They picked up Rausch and I expect we will see others called up and maybe Garcia moved there at some point if the some of the others not mentioned in the OP don't step up. They can still option Matusz so he'd better get it together.

Archived