Arrieta starts Monday in Detroit

Rene88

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can Roy please start a reverse-jinx thread about not having a chance with Arrieta pitching tomorrow?

Because we actually don't have a chance. Pretty aggravating that this organization fails to understand that Arrieta should be transitioned to the bullpen. They only let him come out of the bullpen for a couple of appearances after his last demotion. He struggled, then they started him again, and he struggled even worse. How is there any merit to his performance? How does he deserve tomorrow's start over Britton? Poor roster management by Duquette and Buck, and poor handling of Arrieta, who is not a quality - or even mediocre - major league pitcher right now.

I agree with waroriole. Jake goes 6-7 innings with 110 pitches. Of course the score may be 12-7. Lose a battle to win a war. Don't we usually do well against Verlander? Maybe we rest JJ Hardy or Machado tomorrow. Put our B or C lineup in so everybody is rested for Tuesday. Not doom & gloom, just looking at the bigger picture. Even the Astros & Marlins win games. Why not our B or C team?

Can Roy please start a reverse-jinx thread about not having a chance with Arrieta pitching tomorrow?

Because we actually don't have a chance. Pretty aggravating that this organization fails to understand that Arrieta should be transitioned to the bullpen. They only let him come out of the bullpen for a couple of appearances after his last demotion. He struggled, then they started him again, and he struggled even worse. How is there any merit to his performance? How does he deserve tomorrow's start over Britton? Poor roster management by Duquette and Buck, and poor handling of Arrieta, who is not a quality - or even mediocre - major league pitcher right now.

Ugh, I actually think Buck and DD know what they're doing....Arrieta himself is 100% the problem...He's even worse pitching from the stretch with runners on, remember? So having him in the BP (unless it's a 10-0 score either way) is fuel to the fire....He just needs to get his act together...I'm a Texan and have always pulled for Jake (from Texas Christian). But really this is it for me with this guy. We are nearing Ponson, Hayden Penn, Daniel Cabrera territory.....

Ugh, I actually think Buck and DD know what they're doing....Arrieta himself is 100% the problem...He's even worse pitching from the stretch with runners on, remember? So having him in the BP (unless it's a 10-0 score either way) is fuel to the fire....He just needs to get his act together...I'm a Texan and have always pulled for Jake (from Texas Christian). But really this is it for me with this guy. We are nearing Ponson, Hayden Penn, Daniel Cabrera territory.....

"He just needs to get his act together" is not any way to meaningfully look at the situation. He's needed to get his act together his entire career and he's never done it. Every single outing with Jake, we hear nothing but excuses coming from Jake, from Orioles management, and from fans. When you have a guy who's a problem, as you point out, whether it's mental or physical - and with Arrieta it's both - and he's going to start in a game against the Tigers after he's been getting consistently shelled, the bad decision is actually 100% on Duquette and Buck.

I never said that Buck and DD don't know what they're doing. But they're making a huge mistake here, and they're not promoting the the right guy. At least promote someone who deserves the shot based on how they've pitched recently. That would be Britton.

"He just needs to get his act together" is not any way to meaningfully look at the situation. He's needed to get his act together his entire career and he's never done it. Every single outing with Jake, we hear nothing but excuses coming from Jake, from Orioles management, and from fans. When you have a guy who's a problem, as you point out, whether it's mental or physical - and with Arrieta it's both - and he's going to start in a game against the Tigers after he's been getting consistently shelled, the bad decision is actually 100% on Duquette and Buck.

I never said that Buck and DD don't know what they're doing. But they're making a huge mistake here, and they're not promoting the the right guy. At least promote someone who deserves the shot based on how they've pitched recently. That would be Britton.

And as explained multiple times in this thread, Britton could be here as soon as Tuesday.

He was terrible in Norfolk, so I guess it is a sacrifice-type outing for Detroit. You just know he'll give up 2 HR's to Cabrera.

If you read the rest of the thread, there is an explanation.

But not a great explanation. We need a replacement starter for tomorrow and possibly another one for Tuesday. Britton could have gone instead of Arietta tomorrow, and Gausman could have been recalled on Tuesday if necessary. There is no need for Arietta to get the start tomorrow. The only way this makes sense is that the team thinks that it's really important to keep Gausman in Norfolk until he proves that he is ready, and in order to make that happen they are willing to avert their eyes and give Arietta the ball for one game.

Archived