Arrieta starts Monday in Detroit

Rene88

But not a great explanation. We need a replacement starter for tomorrow and possibly another one for Tuesday. Britton could have gone instead of Arietta tomorrow, and Gausman could have been recalled on Tuesday if necessary.

Gausman hasn't been in the minors for 10 days yet, so he can't be recalled for Tuesday unless someone goes on the DL or paternity leave. It's possible that Gonzalez will go on paternity leave by then, but it's not a sure thing.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And as explained multiple times in this thread, Britton could be here as soon as Tuesday.

The bigger issue is that they're starting Arrieta. He doesn't deserve a start. Let Britton take that start, and then hopefully Hammel is ready for Tuesday night. If he's not, and Gonzalez isn't on leave, then I would rather have almost anyone else in the organization make that start. I'd rather see Stinson again. Starting Arrieta when he's done literally nothing to deserve it sends a poor message to the rest of the organization, and he gives us a much worse chance to win tomorrow night than Britton would.

The bigger issue is that they're starting Arrieta. He doesn't deserve a start. Let Britton take that start, and then hopefully Hammel is ready for Tuesday night. If he's not, and Gonzalez isn't on leave, then I would rather have almost anyone else in the organization make that start. I'd rather see Stinson again. Starting Arrieta when he's done literally nothing to deserve it sends a poor message to the rest of the organization, and he gives us a much worse chance to win tomorrow night than Britton would.

Totally agree with this. Sends the message that if you continue to get lit up in the minors we will continue to give you chances as long as you have good stuff and former prospect status. Britton gives us a chance tomorrow night. Arrieta does not.

Jake Arrieta getting this start is an indictment on the sad state of Oriole SP. Imagine if this team had a rotation of major league starters.

Except, its not. Since Arrieta is basically the 6/7th starter. It is a spot start because one of our mainstays is sick.

Except, its not. Since Arrieta is basically the 6/7th starter. It is a spot start because one of our mainstays is sick.

Exactly...it's not like we're giving him a spot in the rotation. It's just a spot start, and it's certainly not a reward. It's just a matter of necessity.

Eh, he'll be as capable of going 6 innings 3 runs as he is going 2 innings 8 runs. Depends on which Jake shows up. Your guess is as good as mine.

Yep, and we could be blessed with the good Jake and really hit the jackpot. Some other GM sees him and thinks, "That guy is really good, he just shut down the Tigers and their sending him back to Norfolk. Let me give Dan a call."

Best of all possible worlds. It's fantasy land but I go there sometimes.

You all know how this is going to end: Jake is going to pitch a 5 hit shutout over 8 innings, JJ gets the save, and everyone is going to announce Jake has finally arrived and deserves to stay in the rotation. :D

I do hope Jake does well. It would be great for his confidence certainly, but I want him to do well so he can bring something back in a trade. Jake is not part of the future of this rotation, and no need to kid ourselves. Gausman, Bundy, Tillman, Gonzales, Chen for the next few years is just fine with me. I like Jake and he could be better than any of those five, but I'm tired of saying the words "could be".

Jake Arrieta getting this start is an indictment on the sad state of Oriole SP. Imagine if this team had a rotation of major league starters.
Actually Jake Arrieta getting this start simply means Hammel is sick. I think the Orioles' starting pitching is getting pretty solid now that the guys we're going to be leaning on have gotten it together.

You've got:

Gonzalez: solid, stone cold

Tillman: the best ERA of the staff

Hammel: getting to be consistent, good for a #3/4

Chen: when he comes back, he's been strong for over a year now

I like that 1/2/3/4.

I think between Arrieta (heh probably not), Britton (the real solution probably), Garcia, Gausman, and possibly by the end of this season Bundy, we're not too shabby at #5 either.

Lets look at it like this.......if he gets shelled and we lose, well, that's exactly what we all thought would happen so why freak out?

But if he pitches well and we somehow pull one out? Well, we're playing with house money against verlander on Tuesday night.

Frankly, I have no idea what to expect from arrieta, I just hope he can get through 6 without getting bombed so we can somewhat save the pen.

And if you really really want to look for a silver lining, if he gets bombed, at least Pedro can get some work in or perhaps finally pitch his way out of the rotation.

I'm honestly irked that Jake is getting yet another chance after showing no desire to fix his issues.

How many different pitches are we going to see in his 3 inning start?

[video=youtube;r7IBPSJDT5o]

Can we name the pitches if someone hits them?

Archived