vs. YANKEES, 6/30 ESPN Style!

scOtt

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Wieters has been playing back a little bit after he interfered with a batter a few weeks ago...but I do agree with you, it doesn't work well w/ the curve.

With all respect, I do not think his positioning depth has anything to do with it. He needs to catch the high breaking pitch as deep (let it travel as long as it can before you have to catch it) as possible. The breaking pitch breaks down, and if you reach out to catch it early, you will catch it too high. And his receiving posture doesn't help b/c he is 6'5'' and blocks the umpire. Hell, a 5'10'' catcher won't get that call.

EDIT: We may be misunderstanding each other.

I don't like using the umps as excuses but those squeezed pitches early probably cost us that run. The inning completely changed once Tillman was getting half a foot on either side of the plate taken away from him.

Can't wait til Kuroda gets 5 inches off the plate next inning.

I hate this espn idiots, no mention of the absurd strike zone.

The strike zone has been consistent for both teams. The first two pitches to Manny are strikes most nights too. This probably benefits us more. If Kuroda pitches with a pitchers strike zone he'd be deadly. Tillman doesn't need to nibble.

Extension Unlikely Between Orioles, Matt Wieters

By Mark Polishuk [June 30, 2013 at 6:56pm CST]

The Orioles and catcher Matt Wieters haven't made any progress on extension talks, ESPN's Buster Olney reports (Insider subscription required). "Unless something changes dramatically," the team believes that Wieters will forego a long-term deal and hit the free agent market after the 2015 season.

Olney reported in April that there was "no momentum" between the two sides on a multiyear deal, though the O's were open to giving Wieters a six-year contract. Wieters was arbitration-eligible for the first time last winter and avoided going to an arb hearing by agreeing to a one-year, $5.5MM contract with Baltimore. The Boras Corporation client has two more years of arb-eligibility left before he becomes a free agent at age 29 and as Olney notes, Boras clients usually test the open market once they're close to free agency.

The Orioles may have been fortunate in holding off on an extension for the catcher given that Wieters is hitting just .231/.290/407 with 10 homers through 298 PA this season. Wieters carried a .260/.328/.421 career line into this season --- solid numbers for a catcher, but below expectations considering Wieters' high draft status (fifth overall in 2007) and his ranking as the sport's top prospect by Baseball America before the 2009 season.

I saw a total of one strike called a ball and one ball called a strike this inning on Gameday. The ump isn't the problem.

I saw two strikes called balls and one ball called a strike. The significant part is that the two strikes called balls would've been strikes 2 & 3 and ended the inning - and then Tilly seemed to lose his command. But thats just how I saw things.

Archived