Why even get a lefty up?

LookitsPuck

I was okay with the decision. You don't necessarily want to burn a LHP for one batter when you're heading for extra innings and may need to win a war of bullpen attrition in extras.

If Matusz can only get one hitter then why worry about burning him? You have to get to extra innings to win. We had a rested pen, both Gausman and McFarland would have been available.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have the HR guy at the plate 3-2. You have Keppinger on deck. You could

walk Dunn. You couldve had the lefty up to face Dunn. Neither happened.

GAME OVER.

MAKE SOME SENSE OF IT FOR ME WILL YOU?

You don't just walk guys you also have a guy who strikes and more then anyone in baseball. If he throws a ball the same place the threw the first curve in a 2-0 count he strikes him out.

I'll agree to disagree. Obviously, I'm not as big a fan of Matusz as you are.

It's a no brainer, really.

Dunn absolutely stinks versus lefties. He's been on fire lately and crushes righties. Matusz stinks versus righties, but is BEAST against lefties. Why on earth do you leave Tommy Hunter in multiple innings after pitching the night before? NIGHT before. It's a day game. Sorry, it's just poor logic. Buck ALMOST did the right thing. But some sort of short circuit warmed Matusz for Dunn, then sat him down.

So Wieters got in the game as a pinch hitter... and then caught for 1/3 of an inning before his pitcher gave up yet another HR on yet another secondary pitch

I so want to see Wieters traded this off season. He can't hit and the more carefully you watch him the more you realize he is not a good reciever (excluding his throwing which is part Buck insistence on TTP).

I don't know if I can make sense of it or not, I though for sure that Matusz was going to be in to face Dunn for sure. I was surprised when he wasn't brought in. At the same time, with the way our bats (and their's too) were swinging (meaning he's expecting this game could drag on for a bit), perhaps Buck thought I've got my best relief pitcher on the mound and he's looking good so far, I'll get two innings out of Hunter and save Matusz (who is outstanding when it comes to not letting inherited runners score) for a higher leverage situation.

Again, I expected Matusz to be in. But maybe this was Buck's thinking?

Again, I'm not saying you are dead wrong. I think a case can be made either way. I don't think it's a slam dunk that leaving Hunter in was awful. The question is a valid one, why warm Matusz up if you aren't going to use him against Dunn. I still have no problem with Hunter facing Dunn.

I have no problem with Hunter facing Dunn in a big spot, just the circumstances today. Hunter had already pitched a lot in the last two nights, we have a rested pen and Matusz was up. It isn't that I don't trust Hunter, I just think Dunn was the key batter that inning. At the end of the day we didn't hit this series.

So Wieters got in the game as a pinch hitter... and then caught for 1/3 of an inning before his pitcher gave up yet another HR on yet another secondary pitch

I so want to see Wieters traded this off season. He can't hit and the more carefully you watch him the more you realize he is not a good reciever (excluding his throwing which is part Buck insistence on TTP).

DId you see Hunter lose a game earlier in the year off of a fastball to Joyce, Wieters hate in a strategy thread.

You calling Dunn their best hitter.

He is right now. The home run was what worried me there. If they string 3 hits to beat us more power to them. Konerko is on the DL and they aren't a good hitting team and their hottest guy just beat us, that is why I am steamed.

Archived