TT: Buck needs to make a decision on Brian Roberts

Tony-OH

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Buck said Brian Roberts could return to team for tonight's game. Depends what happens at hospital. Still waiting for word. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">August 2, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to be sentimental. The post season again last year cured me of that.

Not me. I know its a different sport but I cannot tell you how many sports experts were mouthing off that Ray Lewis was washed up, yet when he came back from his injury he inspired the team and they made their historic playoff march to win the superbowl. Now I am not saying Brian Roberts has the same impact as Ray Lewis, but thee is something to be said for having the old vet in the lineup on his last run.

It is base level argumentum ad hominem, which makes it condescending. Use facts to counter your opponents arguments, don't make assumptions as to how they arrived at them. Hence my response, which you neg-repped as "jerkish". Getting upset with me for pointing out flaws in your logic while making a nod to your tactics accusing other people of failing to use their brains is hypocritical.

I honestly don't want hear from you on this. You are the only guy I negged rep because you are the only guy that deserved it. Your comment is the only one that got personal thus the neg rep. I'm not wasting any more time explaining myself because I'll just be repeating myself and rather focus on the people who want to have a discussion and not get all bent out of shape.

If Roberts is going to be your guy, fine. Even though it's the wrong move, why keep 2 other 2B's on the roster who aren't going to play?

I know there is not much to choose from down in Norfolk, but I'd rather have another BP arm or two over Flaherty and Casilla who are collecting dust. At least let Flaherty get some regular AB's in AAA, he'll be our starting 2B next year anyway.

Not me. I know its a different sport but I cannot tell you how many sports experts were mouthing off that Ray Lewis was washed up, yet when he came back from his injury he inspired the team and they made their historic playoff march to win the superbowl. Now I am not saying Brian Roberts has the same impact as Ray Lewis, but thee is something to be said for having the old vet in the lineup on his last run.

Different sports though and it's pretty much apples to oranges. Ray Lewis was pretty terrible when he came back if you just went by performance alone. Obviously he had an inspirational effect and his ability to be a coach on the field certainly helped the other around him play better, but that doesn't correlate to what Roberts is doing. I never saw Roberts as an inspirational guy and clearly considering the teams he was one, he didn't inspire too many guys to play above their heads. :D

Despite the heat, this thread has included a lot of good discussion and stats. But we should all remember it's mostly a moot point. I think we all agree that Roberts is going to get the majority of the playing time if he's healthy. He would have to hit .100 for an extended period to get replaced as the starter.

I am not entirely sure why Buck "needs" to make a decision about Brian.

Brian has not played with any consistency in what feels like forever. I do not think its unreasonable to expect him to go through some struggles both offensively and defensively as a result of that extended layoff

I trust Buck and the coaching staff to evaluate where they feel Brian is now and were they feel he can get to and make a decision as to how much he should play based on that. Its not as if the guys (Casilla/Flaherty) were tearing it up while Roberts was on the DL

If Brian is still struggling with the bat and glove and showing no signs of improvement then Buck will make the appropriate move to his next best option (Flaherty). Till then I think its worth seeing if Brian can find one last run in the tank.

Those 9 games are the reason that his stats look good not the 37 games. He had 14 hits in those 9 games. The other 28 games 18 hits. His average in the other games was .211. 2 doubles and 1 homer in those other 28 games and 2 walks. That is awful with a slash line of .211/.240/.292/.532.

The O's are looking at the second WC right now. One game in the standing could very well be the difference between playoffs and vacation. Doesn't it behoove the O's to put the best team out there?

If it came down to one game I'd start Roberts over Flaherty. I know you weren't presenting it like that but it made me think of that potential situation. I'd put Flaherty in though during the 9th for defense.

If Roberts is going to be your guy, fine. Even though it's the wrong move, why keep 2 other 2B's on the roster who aren't going to play?

I know there is not much to choose from down in Norfolk, but I'd rather have another BP arm or two over Flaherty and Casilla who are collecting dust. At least let Flaherty get some regular AB's in AAA, he'll be our starting 2B next year anyway.

Flaherty is not just a 2b though that is why he is still on the team. He is the back up at 3rd, the back up at short, and the back up at first up until the brought Pearce up. He also can play the outfield if need be and when they had a three man bench he was the backup outfielder. I do think he will head down when Wilson comes back.

Brian Roberts is no Ray Lewis. But we know they both like that deer antler powder.

I honestly don't want hear from you on this. You are the only guy I negged rep because you are the only guy that deserved it. Your comment is the only one that got personal thus the neg rep. I'm not wasting any more time explaining myself because I'll just be repeating myself and rather focus on the people who want to have a discussion and not get all bent out of shape.

"Tell me again about brains" is not any more personal than dismissing other people's arguments because you felt they came from the heart rather than the brain. If you think I was suggesting you don't have a brain, I am sorry, that was not what I meant. I hope I explained myself clearly in my follow up post, that I think your argument was overstated, and I (and others) found your tone to be dismissive of others opinions. If someone thought I was being condescending, I might want to know why. I am simply telling you why I read your comment the way I did. I will refrain from any further comment. If Brian Roberts ends the season with an OPS of below .600, I owe you a Coke.

Let Brian get closer to two hundred ABs before we decide he's done. It is not as if we have a great replacement, we have a guy no one wanted on the ML roster a month ago. Let Brob continue to play himself into form. He is our guy. He will improve as the season progresses. If he does not, we always have the newly popular RF.

I see emotions on display. Adorable. All of these feelings. Lets hug it out.

Enjoy your Friday, lets go Os.

Seriously?? Ray Lewis is a hall of famer, perhaps the best at his position in the history of the NFL and an acknowledged insirational speaker/leader.

Brian Roberts has never even played for a winning team.

The BRob effect will pull the O's out of the last WC spot if Buck doesn't come to his senses.

Archived