TT: Buck needs to make a decision on Brian Roberts

Tony-OH

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buck already made his decision, all Roberts, all the time.

If he won't pull Roberts for a defensive replacement he certainly won't put him on the bench.

This is looking to be my worse case scenario with Roberts, below replacement but not so bad as to force a change. I think he continues to slowly bleed the team a ground ball at a time.

Buck already made his decision, all Roberts, all the time.

If he won't pull Roberts for a defensive replacement he certainly won't put him on the bench.

This is looking to be my worse case scenario with Roberts, below replacement but not so bad as to force a change. I think he continues to slowly bleed the team a ground ball at a time.

Yet MASN keeps finding quality plays to show on their highlights.

I wanted to release Roberts before the season started. I'm grateful for his play over the years, it wasn't a hateful desire, but I didn't think he'd be able to stay healthy and, even if he could, didn't think he'd really contribute. I'm also a huge Flaherty supporter and love Schoop. My biggest concern wasn't that he'd eventually get hurt and miss the remainder of the season but rather exactly what is happening: he's in the lineup and playing poorly thus forcing a difficult decision. If it's me I give the job to Flaherty and make Roberts a bench guy and maybe even dump Casilla if a waiver RH bat can be added.

I think it depends to some extent on how the team plays. If the offense starts clicking again and the team is winning, then I think Roberts is the starting second basemen the rest of the season. If the offense struggles and the team loses, then Showalter may do something. 2B has been an offensive hole all season, so it's not like this is something new. In fact, Roberts' OPS is currently higher than Flaherty and Casilla's OPS for the season.

I think it depends to some extent on how the team plays. If the offense starts clicking again and the team is winning, then I think Roberts is the starting second basemen the rest of the season. If the offense struggles and the team loses, then Showalter may do something. 2B has been an offensive hole all season, so it's not like this is something new. In fact, Roberts' OPS is currently higher than Flaherty and Casilla's OPS for the season.
He is on paternity leave.

There's zero doubt in my mind Flaherty is better than Roberts at this point. I was particularly amused the other night when Flaherty played 1B and Buck hit him ahead of Roberts in the lineup. Given that anyone can see Flaherty is miles better defensively, and Buck batted him ahead of Roberts when he did let him play - why in the world is Roberts playing. I know the answer - or rather the 10 million answers - but this team is going all out for playoff spot - continuing this charade is silly.

Archived