Churchill's latest - Jones and Bedard

JTrea81

It likely would have not made any difference to the team's performance if Bedard had stayed or not but it would have contributed to the sense of unity that has been absent form this team for too long. The message Bedard would have sent by staying is, we're all in this together' no matter how ugly it gets. That, IMO, is what teams do, that is what teammates do..

Do you think the state of the clubouse had or should have any affect on this? If ours had a few players that caused some unrest, would you force your best pitcher with whom you would be trying to extend to stay if it would have a negative affect on his thoughts / feelings of the team?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think the state of the clubouse had or should have any affect on this? If ours had a few players that caused some unrest, would you force your best pitcher with whom you would be trying to extend to stay if it would have a negative affect on his thoughts / feelings of the team?

I'm not entirly clear about your point. Are you saying that allowing Bedard to leave at the end of last year would have made it easier to sign him long term this year?

I'm not entirly clear about your point. Are you saying that allowing Bedard to leave at the end of last year would have made it easier to sign him long term this year?

I'm not saying that specifically, but suppose Bedard was part of one of the factions that was constantly inbattled in the locker room? What would be the point to allow this to continue if he was unable to play?

You're too funny. If you think I want to spend all day discussing something that has already been discussed ad nauseum on here, then you're sadly mistaken. By the way, don't forget who started the discussion by asking an obviously loaded question. Also, where was the sarcasm in the post you quoted?

Good, then I won't have to read any additional apologies on Bedard's behalf.

The question was simple enough. I was asking for an opinion from "wildcard".

I'm pretty sure VaTech will tell you that he and I have rarely, if ever, argued on here. Quite amusing that you think I like to "screw with posters." I can assure you that I don't. But I will not hesitate to point out the idiocy of some statements.

And you don't know that Bedard leWe can only assume that Trembley didn't have a problem with him leaving the team as it can only be assumed that he would have had to sign off on it. He doesn't seem to be the type of guy who would sign off on someone doing something he doesn't agree with.ft "as soon as he got the chance."

No I can't assume that Bedard left "as soon as he got the chance". I do know however, that he left with several weeks remaining in the season, which is enough for me.

I'm not saying that specifically, but suppose Bedard was part of one of the factions that was constantly inbattled in the locker room? What would be the point to allow this to continue if he was unable to play?

If that were the reason then allowing him to leave would have been a good strategy but I think we would have heard soemthing about it. Don't you?

No I can't assume that Bedard left "as soon as he got the chance". I do know however, that he left with several weeks remaining in the season, which is enough for me.
Adam Loewen didn't stay with the team when he got injured. Is that a problem?

We can only assume that Trembley didn't have a problem with him leaving the team as it can only be assumed that he would have had to sign off on it. He doesn't seem to be the type of guy who would sign off on someone doing something he doesn't agree with.

This is a very strong point IMO. Trembley is the kind of manager that would have voiced his opinion if he thought Bedard was setting a bad example.

What????????

You're splitting hairs. Both players seasons ended early, both players were injured...I fail to see the difference. Bedard was injured and done for the season and was allowed to go home and rehab. The only reason Guthrie stayed was because they were going to allow him to pitch another game.

No, Loewen's injury was season ending. As I recall, Bedard was "shut down". by the team.
Why is there a difference?

Bedard is suposed to stay around to promote the "unity" of the team despite being too injured to pitch but Loewen doesn't have to? At least be consistent.

The bottom line is, almost always, when players are on the DL for a long time, they usually aren't with the team for the day-to-day. Players will quite often say that the mentality is that when someone is hurt, you have to play without them, so you need to think of it as if they are completely gone, and thats often easier when they physically are gone. Criticizing Bedard for leaving the team when he was injured is so laughably ridiculous that it defies description. It is a completely unjustified criticism and is clearly a case of people who simply don't like Bedard's personality/demeanor trying to find some reason to bash him.

Good points by everyone. Remember we are trying to trade a number of players and OH is read by many fans and possibly GM'S of other teams. Our players are all nice guys and follow team rules. Right? Nobody has been fined. The players are being traded to help us fill holes in our lineup and farm system.

Archived