The negativity has got to stop!!! (MAJOR RANT)

orioleslist

I definitely don't think Buck should be fired. Both him and DD are excellent and saviors quite frankly. I do think years of Angelos' meddling can raise a question or two though. It makes you doubt decisions.

I appreciate this board and different opinions, it balances out things.

Go Orioles.

One thing I see here, all message boards, is you have alot of fans who have either never played the game or not played it at a high enough level, above HS. To understand how difficult the game is to play. Coaching is about putting the players in the best position to succeed. It is up to them to execute and make the manager look smart. If they fail, the manager gets fired sooner then later.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, we have a 10% statistical chance of making the playoffs (well actually 17.9% tonight if you believe ESPN). Now do you want to totally give up on the team and point out the obvious over and over again (Nick's been a major let down, so has the bullpen; Hammel and Chen were supposed to perform better, etc.) or do you try to think about what could make us better, and hope we can somehow pull through?

Or even if we don't, look at the bright side for 2014: Tillman, Norris and possibly Gausman in the starting rotation--with a serviceable Feldman as a 5th starter; Machado and Davis as the anchors of the offense with other players ready to contribute...

Listen, it's fine to say that this team has been a disappointment, but "a joke" (Jonesy10), or "an epic collapse is on the way" (Norkolk Orioles) is beyond ridiculous.

I've never understood people who beotch, moan and complain, to feel better. It's a waste of time and emotion, IMO.

This is a good point but how many band wagon fans post on a message board?

Probably not many, but it does seem that the amount of ridiculous posts have gone up since we started winning.

There seems to be a big sense of entitlement among some folks, and they're probably the ones who will be gone if the team doesn't keep winning.

One thing I see here, all message boards, is you have alot of fans who have either never played the game or not played it at a high enough level, above HS. To understand how difficult the game is to play. Coaching is about putting the players in the best position to succeed. It is up to them to execute and make the manager look smart. If they fail, the manager gets fired sooner then later.

Anyone that has the ability to play professional ball is the elite of the elite. We as fans forget that in the heat of the moment. Excellent point.

Not every fan believes this team is on the right track, so they have a right to express how they feel. Besides, the Orioles seem to respond lately when the fanbase is about ready to run them out of Baltimore, so perhaps the negativity is a good thing. You can be passionate in both ways and neither is wrong if it's the way you feel, but as for berating others because they are venting or cheering - best just to let them do what they are going to do and ignore them. As a passionate fan, I can tell you - that you aren't going to change my way of thinking until I see the Orioles have a positive direction and berating me for those thoughts and feelings - you are either going to upset me and/or I'm just going to ignore you so there's really no point. This is also coming from a fan since 1993, so I know what the losing years were like. IMO having more people hold the Orioles accountable to a winning standard is a good thing because so many were either apathetic or set the bar far too low before.

The team has a 10% statistical chance of making the playoffs how is being negative irrational?

If you have to ask that question, then you'll likely never understand the answer. Some people just have to play the role of wet blanket. But think of it this way. Something like half of marriages end in divorce. When you attend a marriage, do you focus on the fact that it's 50-50 it'll end in divorce, or on the marriage itself? Similarly, when a team is in a pennant race, do you focus on the 10% chance of winning or on the fact that they are in a pennant race and are battling to make the playoffs? Negativity by itself is pointless and stupid; it's like a child griping he can't have another cookie. If you, say, post analysis on what's needed to increase that 10% chance, now that's something interesting, even if the conclusions aren't positive. But negativity because we supposedly have only a 10% chance of making the playoffs is pointless and misses the more important point that we are in a race for the playoffs - and that makes every game important and interesting. However, this is a forum, and pointless postings are inevitable. But there are usually a few gems and lots of at least interesting ones that make it worthwhile.

Anyone that has the ability to play professional ball is the elite of the elite. We as fans forget that in the heat of the moment. Excellent point.

Had a hit of Darren Driefort in college. Was the best stuff I saw in all my playing time. Played with and against several guys who played pro ball, couple who played for the O's.

Not every fan believes this team is on the right track, so they have a right to express how they feel. Besides, the Orioles seem to respond lately when the fanbase is about ready to run them out of Baltimore, so perhaps the negativity is a good thing. You can be passionate in both ways and neither is wrong if it's the way you feel, but as for berating others because they are venting or cheering - best just to let them do what they are going to do and ignore them. As a passionate fan, I can tell you - that you aren't going to change my way of thinking until I see the Orioles have a positive direction and berating me for those thoughts and feelings - you are either going to upset me and/or I'm just going to ignore you so there's really no point. This is also coming from a fan since 1993, so I know what the losing years were like. IMO having more people hold the Orioles accountable to a winning standard is a good thing because so many were either apathetic or set the bar far too low before.

Yeah I'm sure you are still trying to spend all of PA money on every big name FA. We've been hearing if for years now.

Fan since 79, lived through 1988. Doesn't make me any better or worse then you or anyone else.

One thing you've yet to realize is you can't hold anyone accountable who doesn't answer to you.

Had a hit of Darren Driefort in college. Was the best stuff I saw in all my playing time. Played with and against several guys who played pro ball, couple who played for the O's.

My buddy pitched against Tex in HS, he went 2 for 3 against my friend. My friend boasts he got him out:)

That doesn't mean common sense and reality have to stop when you log in. I tend to stay away after losses. The stupidity grows with each L. Some just don't realize that just about every team is going to lose atleast 60 times each year. Learning to deal with them is called maturity.

I disappear in the Music threads. :)

Archived