The negativity has got to stop!!! (MAJOR RANT)

orioleslist

One thing you've yet to realize is you can't hold anyone accountable who doesn't answer to you.
We the fans pay the salary and follow the team/attend games. Without the fans - there is no team. The Orioles cannot survive without people in the seats to watch them play. So many forget that and do not realize the power they do have as fans - especially collectively. We are not and should not be merely spectators IMO.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand and good post. If I were a coach, this is how I would see it. But I am a fan so I can act irrational :)

You're not in the same class of posters being talked about, and that's a compliment. ;) You bring content to the board. Not just "That is unacceptable!!!!"

Yeah I'm sure you are still trying to spend all of PA money on every big name FA. We've been hearing if for years now.

Fan since 79, lived through 1988. Doesn't make me any better or worse then you or anyone else.

Actually, this is false. Seeing how the Orioles won in 2012 and seeing how the contracts for big name players have mostly failed, I no longer advocate for that position. Rather, I advocate for talent that should be able to be reasonably acquired. I didn't want Hamilton last offseason for example - didn't want any part of him because I knew the Orioles could get upgrades for less. The problem is that they never even pursued the upgrade for less route.

My buddy pitched against Tex in HS, he went 2 for 3 against my friend. My friend boasts he got him out:)

He was the best player I played with. Was a beast at Mansfield. As you can see, pro ball is alot more difficult.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=probst001ala

Sorry trying to remember names some 20+ years later.

Here is one of former teammate who played for O's

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=crills001bra

To be fair this is not a Hangout issue or even an Orioles fan issue. You are going to get a lot of negativity and reactionary opinions when dealing with passionate sports fans. It is the nature of the beast.

I've frequented this board and other Orioles sites a little less recently because like the OP, I get tired of the negativity. I get the people that wish the Orioles would be in a better position at this point in the season. I also get discussing the issues the team has, what they could do better, and how they could improve. What really irritates me and drives me away are the people who want to make grand declarations that the season is over or that it will be a major failure if they don't make the playoffs.

The bottom line is they still have a chance. The odds are not in their favor and they have work to do, but they still have a chance. I don't get the purpose of preemptively throwing in the towel. What good does that do? I'd rather enjoy the ride the rest of the season until the O's are in the playoffs or mathematically eliminated. This is a very exciting time of the season where there is a lot riding on every single game. I'd rather enjoy that ride and keep hope alive. It sure beats having to hear 100 times a day about how the season is over and the team has no shot.

IF the Orioles season ends without a World Series victory, there will be several months to discuss what went wrong, how to improve the team, and to sulk in the disappointment of a non-championship season. That can wait. For now, I'd rather just enjoy the ride until (or if) it ends.

We the fans pay the salary and follow the team/attend games. Without the fans - there is no team. The Orioles cannot survive without people in the seats to watch them play. So many forget that and do not realize the power they do have as fans - especially collectively. We are not and should not be merely spectators IMO.

You're right, we do have the power...but you, yourself, JTrea81, can't hold anyone accountable.

On a positive note, the Tides won!
In the playoffs yet?

No, but they maintained their one-game lead over Rochester with only one game left to play.

You can read about it in the Tides' ongoing thread ...... which was started facetiously by someone making fun of them for getting blown out in a game early in the season ...... and now, the Tides are having the last laugh, on the verge of clinching a playoff spot. ;)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/131628-Norfolk-Tides?p=3271560#post3271560

No, but they maintained their one-game lead over Rochester with only one game left to play.

You can read about it in the Tides' ongoing thread ...... which was started facetiously by someone making fun of them for getting blown out in a game early in the season ...... and now, the Tides are having the last laugh, on the verge of clinching a playoff spot. ;)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/131628-Norfolk-Tides?p=3271560#post3271560

Ha! Roll Tide...s

You're right, we do have the power...but you, yourself, JTrea81, can't hold anyone accountable.

If I'm the only one doing it, at least somebody is. And that's all that matters to me anyway. If others believe and wish to join, that's even better. But I'll never stop holding this team accountable until they win the World Series. Only then will I be satisfied with their performance, and that isn't a bad thing IMO.

Maybe my thread about Gonzo and Chen having to earn their way into the rotation next year triggered this.

I don't think Gonzo or Chen are bums or bad guys, but it's irritating to me that they can't go deep into games and everyone worries about their "innings" even though they've both missed a huge chunk of time this year. Maybe I'm just old fashioned because I've been following the team since the late 80s, but I remember a time when most starters had a decent amount of CGs (even CG losses believe it or not) each season and it was what everyone expected. Now all of a sudden starting pitchers are these fragile creatures and we have to watch the pitch counts and limit innings, etc. Maybe I'm just frustrated and irritated by what I see as a cheapening and debasement of the game as a whole over the last few decades. I like Tillman because he seems to be able to get those long inning outings that to me are more of what a starter should be about.

Chen's last two outings have really ticked me off. And they make me really doubt whether he has what it takes to be a consistent starter. I'm really doubting Gonzo too. It's nothing personal -- I doubt they're lazy or jerks or anything -- but they might not be as good as many think they are. If that's "trash talk," then I apologize but I'm not trying to offend anyone.

In my 20+ years as an O's fan, I've seen tons and tons of pitchers that play fairly well for a season or two and then completely fall off (anyone remember Jeff Ballard? Bruce Chen? Daniel Cabrera? Brian Matusz the starter of the future? Zach Britton?). Too many O's starters who start on Opening Day and then go on to have 4-5+ ERAs.

I'm concerned that Chen and Gonzo are going to be guys who have one good season and then totally tank. Maybe if they aren't penciled in for next year they will do what it takes to be consistent, quality starters, or maybe the competition will bring other talent to the fore that can take over and do better. Right now, Gonzo/Chen aren't looking a whole like the next Mike Boddicker, Mike Cuellar, Dave McNally or Scott MacGregor. Looking a whole lot more like the next Daniel Cabrera or Jeff Ballard.

Archived