Fat Lady is Beginning to Sing

Knuckledragger

The errors in 2012 was 106.

Errors in 2013 is 40.

They are on record to shatter the fewest amount of errors record in MLB history.

So defensively, this team is significantly better.

They are close to setting records in HR's as well. What a waste on both fronts.

It depends on what you consider a waste.

If the Orioles had had bad defense and considerably less home runs than they have had this season, they would probably be something like 65-73 (or worse) and headed for a likely losing season, instead of the 73-65 that they are, and likely headed for their second consecutive winning season.

To me, that matters, especially considering the 14 consecutive losing seasons that they had previous to last year.

The more multiple consecutive winning seasons that they put together, the further away that their reputation as perennial doormats fades into the background. I don't think that a single winning season ........ even a 93-win season and a playoff birth ...... sheds the franchise's perennial loser reputation if the team goes right back to having a losing season the very next year.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It depends on what you consider a waste.

If the Orioles had had bad defense and considerably less home runs than they have had this season, they would probably be something like 65-73 (or worse) and headed for a likely losing season, instead of the 73-65 that they are, and likely headed for their second consecutive winning season.

To me, that matters, especially considering the 14 consecutive losing seasons that they had previous to last year.

The more multiple consecutive winning seasons that they put together, the further away that their reputation as perennial doormats fades into the background. I don't think that a single winning season ........ even a 93-win season and a playoff birth ...... sheds the franchise's perennial loser reputation if the team goes right back to having a losing season the very next year.

Great post. I agree with every word. Let me add that it's been an absolute pleasure watching this team play defense. I get great satisfaction from that game in and game out, win or lose. It's a huge part of the Oriole Way that I grew up with and a tremendous building block for a consistently winning team.

I am putting blame on the front office. They should have 100 percent known there was no way Johnson would repeat that season. Could have been fixed by signing Koji or making other moves. But no, they stood pat thinking the magical season would duplicate when most fans could predict it wouldn't.

Now it is the FO's fault. Of course they thought JJ would be good again. He has

saved 40 games this year. Yes has blown nine but put it this way the forty games

could have been lost without him.

I agree with much of what you said, but this year's team isn't TEN times more talented than last years. No way, as the core of the team is essentially the same. I have no idea why you think that, as it is a gross exaggeration. If anything, the starting pitching is worse this year and the pen a lot worse.
We have Brob back at second instead of the black hole we had last year. We have a full year of McClouth and Machado. Davis and Jones are having monster years. We have Tillman for the full year. We don't have Mark Reynolds anymore. So yeah, I stand by my statement. This team is far and away more talented than the Orioles team of 2012.

I think Roch said it pretty good this morning, why should we expect any run? We've only had one 5 game winning streak. Seems a little crazy to think about since we've hovered around 10+ games over .500 most of the year, but it's a telling fact about the two flaws the OP pointed out.

I'm of the argument that a winning record is, given our recent history, a sucessful season in terms of moving this franchise forward. I'm rooting for our boys but my focus is staring to get a purple pigment.

If you look at the numbers that I posted here,*ahem* it would be a real change from the rest of the season for the team to go on a meaningful run in the next three weeks. Add to that, fourteen of the remaining games are against Boston, TB, and NY who are all posturing for a playoff run of their own, and it's time to get up on your feet (gentlemen, please remove your caps) and sing along...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rEJo7x9y3D4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rays down 6-2 in the 5th, so the O's could be 3 out after tonight.

I still think they need at least 16 wins given the bunch of teams they're up against, so they need to go 16-7. I don't see it happening, but I'm rooting for them one game at a time. Their odds go up significantly with each win, but they also go down even more with each loss.

I've been saying it for sometime now. We can't go on a run because of inconsistent SP. You can blame JJ all you want for his 9 BS, but the fact is the likes of Hammel, Arrieta, Britton, Garcia, Stinson, Gausman, and S. Johnson, have combined for 268 IP at an ERA of 6.1 and 22 L's. We needed a MOO bat and a TOR. We bet that we had them in house. We won on the MOO bat and lost on the TOR. If we had hedged our bets and picked up, just a Feldman or a Norris last winter, how many of those 22 L's would have become W's? More than the 9 BS?

I've been saying it for sometime now. We can't go on a run because of inconsistent SP. You can blame JJ all you want for his 9 BS, but the fact is the likes of Hammel, Arrieta, Britton, Garcia, Stinson, Gausman, and S. Johnson, have combined for 268 IP at an ERA of 6.1 and 22 L's. We needed a MOO bat and a TOR. We bet that we had them in house. We won on the MOO bat and lost on the TOR. If we had hedged our bets and picked up, just a Feldman or a Norris last winter, how many of those 22 L's would have become W's? More than the 9 BS?

Exactly, at some point this season, various parts of the team has failed.

So the entire team is responsible for this record.

Archived