What do you *expect* this offseason?

Moose Milligan

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently, it's already been decided that Angelos will put the $25M in escrow because of the Nats/MASN situation being unresolved still.

And here I thought that the O's and MASN were separate entities. I guess only when it's convenient.

This makes absolutely no sense. The Orioles get media fees from two sources, MLB, and MASN. What I'm talking about is the MLB rights fees doubling from $25M to $50M for every team.

As I've stated before, once the NATS/MASN situation is resolved, the Orioles rights fees from that source will also increase, not decrease. Any increase paid to the Nats also has to be paid to the Orioles.

- A bunch of meaningless "Orioles interested in *insert big name player here* but are unwilling to part with prospects or money" rumors littering MLBTradeRumors

- Duquette quotes where he pretends Angelos is a great guy who is giving him money to work with when he really isn't.

- Couple of garbage pitchers signed to Minor League contracts.

- Opening Day

SO Spot on.

This makes absolutely no sense. The Orioles get media fees from two sources, MLB, and MASN. What I'm talking about is the MLB rights fees doubling from $25M to $50M for every team.

As I've stated before, once the NATS/MASN situation is resolved, the Orioles rights fees from that source will also increase, not decrease. Any increase paid to the Nats also has to be paid to the Orioles.

I agree. If I could remember where I read it, I would post it for you.

I agree. If I could remember where I read it, I would post it for you.

It was me who theorized why Peter might not be ready to spend it on players. And might be looking to use it to keep the same ROI for investors if the Nationals do get a bigger bite of the apple.

Cheap one year contract for Brian Roberts. He belongs here. Not an impact player anymore, though he's still useful. Good defender, get some at-bats as a DH. Good warrior, typical Oriole.

Another chance for Nolan Reimold. Minor league contract for him after he gets non-tendered. 4th outfielder at the start of the season, option as a DH.

Minor league deals for Kensuke Tanaka, Jose Arredondo, Kameron Loe, Kyle McClellan and Gavin Floyd.

Goodbye, Scott Feldman. Solid guy, but he's way too expensive for our taste. Not a fan of three year for him.

Kevin Youkillis. Character guy, good veteran, bounce back candidate, cheap contract probably. 3B for the start, could replace Davis at first if needed, platoon with Valencia at DH position. Some expierence and grit.

'Minor' trade for MLB player - Alejandro De Aza is good target, especially if WhiteSox go after Granderson. Great 4th outfielder and useful everyday player. He's machine against LH pitching. Platoon him with Reimold/ Urrutia.

Just an try, nothing more, for Kendrys Morales, Carlos Beltran and Masahiro Tanaka. Expensive, move on.

Call on Marlins and explore for A.J Ramos, Donovan Solano and Marcell Ozuna. Not going to happen.

Call on Brewers and explore for package of Aramis Ramirez and Norichika Aoki. Brewers would love young pitching. Aoki is good hitter. Aramis would be great as a DH. That's probably the best targets we could spot realistically.

Acquire starter via free agency. One year for one of Jason Vargas or Tim Hudson.

I expect them to do one of two things. Either go out and get the players they need, spend some money to augment this current team and make a run for the post season. That's thing number one.

If they do not want to do thing number one, then all attempts must be made to trade JJ Hardy, Jim Johnson, Nick Markakis and maybe even Matt Weiters. And they have other trade options as well. You either go for it, or you trade your valuable veterans for young top prospects.

The thing I will not be at all happy about is the same thing they did last offseason which is essentially nothing.

To the organization, but not necessarily reinvested in the players...

In fact I would be utterly shocked...

The extra 25 million won't be mentioned. Not by the team and barely if at all by the press.

I can't agree with this. The market is already starting to raise the level of compensation for the best players. Dodgers are talking about offering Kershaw 300M. Boras is asking 305M for Cano. I don't know if he will get it but the numbers are getting larger. This a significant jump in salaries. Higher then we have ever seen before.

This will filter down through the ranks of players. Payrolls are going up. Salaries of the best players and FA are going up. What Boras wants from the O's to resign Davis and Wieters is going up.

The press will definitely talk about it. At the winter meeting it will be a topic of discuss as sticker shock sets in. JMO

I can't agree with this. The market is already starting to raise the level of compensation for the best players. Dodgers are talking about offering Kershaw 300M. Boras is asking 305M for Cano. I don't know if he will get it but the numbers are getting larger. This a significant jump in salaries. Higher then we have ever seen before.

This will filter down through the ranks of players. Payrolls are going up. Salaries of the best players and FA are going up. What Boras wants from the O's to resign Davis and Wieters is going up.

The press will definitely talk about it. At the winter meeting it will be a topic of discuss as sticker shock sets in. JMO

We'll see.

Hope you are right and they press the issue.

I really want the O's to get Tanaka. After that, there isn't much I expect. They need to move Markakis down in the lineup to like, 7th. Valencia and Flaherty platoon 2B. Schoop is in AAA. Don't want to see Feldman back. Tillman, Norris, Gonzo, Chen, Gausman should be the rotation, and if they get Garza, I won't be upset but IMO he's sort of a waste of money at this point and won't take the O's to where we need to go. McLouth returning wouldn't upset me, but Urrutia cannot start. He's barely a bench player.

I really want the O's to get Tanaka. After that, there isn't much I expect. They need to move Markakis down in the lineup to like, 7th. Valencia and Flaherty platoon 2B. Schoop is in AAA. Don't want to see Feldman back. Tillman, Norris, Gonzo, Chen, Gausman should be the rotation, and if they get Garza, I won't be upset but IMO he's sort of a waste of money at this point and won't take the O's to where we need to go. McLouth returning wouldn't upset me, but Urrutia cannot start. He's barely a bench player.

You want Valencia to play 2B?

Archived