Is Wieters Worth $100 Million?

Bradysburns

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They move McCann to first. Isn't Texiera leaving town soon?

Teixeira is signed through 2016, McCann will be reportedly signed through 2018. So yes, that is probably their long term plan. The problem is, McCann probably needs to move there now... not in 3 years.

Because Wieters will want more and Wieters is a higher value player. Theres no way he gets less than McCann now... thats just how Boras works.

McCann last 3 years: 8.3 WAR

Wieters last 3 years: 10.9 WAR

But GMs pay more for offense than they do for defense. McCann is an offense player. Wieters is the defensive player.

McCann's offense over the last three years: 5.2 with an injury in 2012

Wieters' oddwnaw over the last three years: -7.4 completely healthy

I don't believe in WAR but if you do..........................

Question: Do you think DD and Buck value Wieters as highly has they do Adam Jones?

I think Buck does. DD is probably more realistic about what he is worth. I think he is a nice player, but even with the obscene amounts of money, he isn't worth it for a team on a budget.

I don't think he is worth more than AJ. Matt has offensive value, but not enough to pay like that.

Does agent Scott Boras look at the McCann contract, rub his hands together and unleash a wicked laugh?

McCann is a career .277/.350/.473 hitter with 176 homers and 661 RBIs in 1,105 games and 3,863 at-bats spanning nine major league seasons. He's a seven-time All-Star and a five-time Silver Slugger winner. Though considered above-average defensively, he's never won a Gold Glove.

Wieters, who turns 28 in May, is a career .255/.319/.420 hitter with 87 homers and 328 RBIs in 657 games and 2,349 at-bats over five major league seasons. He's a two-time All-Star with two Gold Gloves.

It should be interesting when executive vice president Dan Duquette sits down with Boras at the Winter Meetings that begin Dec. 9 in Orlando. The subject of a Wieters extension is bound to come up, though Duquette seems to have put it on the back burner.

The Orioles really need to figure out, if at all possible, whether Wieters is truly open to signing an extension or determined to test free agency. And to what extreme Boras will attempt to trump the McCann deal.

After all, it could be terribly outdated in two years.

If McCann is worth $85 million over five years, and potentially $100 million over six, where does Wieters fit?

source - Roch Kubatko

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If the Yankees sign McCann, they will give up the 18th pick in the draft. Braves will pick up the 39th pick (for now).</p>? Chris Crawford (@CrawfordChrisV) <a href="
">November 23, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Losing the 18th pick of the draft.

This is what I asked in that other thread. They lose a damn pick! How can they abide this? They can STILL buy their way out of it??? Above or below the limit???

Bud Sux.

CluelessBud.jpg

Full No Trade Clause.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Full no-trade for mccann in yankee deal</p>? Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">November 23, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, I think the value of Matt just jumped on the trade market, too, then! This could be very good news in a weird way, for the Orioles.

Archived