Is Wieters Worth $100 Million?

Bradysburns

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We're talking Scott Boras hyperbole here. Wieters is worth about 5/60M now IMO. If he has a good year next season then that will go up maybe 5/75.

To me, 5/60 is a reasonable deal for Wieters and the Orioles. It may be at the upper limits, unless his OPS rebounds this season. But I would be okay with that. Anything even approaching $100 million and I would be tempted to call the hospital and have them come pick up Dan. Cause that would be some crazy business.

To me, 5/60 is a reasonable deal for Wieters and the Orioles. It may be at the upper limits, unless his OPS rebounds this season. But I would be okay with that. Anything even approaching $100 million and I would be tempted to call the hospital and have them come pick up Dan. Cause that would be some crazy business.
It makes sense for Wieters not to extend now. He has already established himself as one of the better defensive C's in the game. If he puts together two good seasons with the bat then he will command something close to 100M on the FA market. If not then he would probably be amenable to a 5/60Mish contract in 2016..

This is the easiest question I've seen all week. NO! He's not worth that amount of money. What happened to the story that Boras was asking for $185 million over 8 years? We need to move Wieters this off season and I think we will be pleased with what DD is able to get for him in a trade. The big question is? Who will be traded first? Hardy, Wieters, Johnson or Markakis? All could be traded.

Wieters is probably a three or four win player right now. If he were entering free agency, I'd say he'd get close to 100M, but it wouldn't be much of a deal.

So, you're counting last year as an anomaly and not the start of a decline? Because he was barely above replacement level. Defensively he was below.

Here is some data showing the contracts of catchers and the fWAR they've accumulated since 2009 (Wieters' debut season):

Mauer 24.2 fWAR -- 8 yrs, $184 mm (signed in 2011 before his age 28 season)

Molina 22.6 fWAR -- 10 yrs, $96.5 mm (includes a 5/$75 mm extension signed in 2012 before his age 29 season)

Posey 17.8 fWAR -- 9 yrs, $164 mm (signed in 2013 before his age 26 season and includes 4 arb years)

McCann 17.5 fWAR -- 7 yrs, $41.3 mm (signed in 2007 before his age 23 season and included 5 years under team control;contract now expired; earned $12 mm in 2013, final year of deal)

Ruiz 16.1 fWAR -- 3 yrs, $26 mm (just signed in November 2013 before his age 35 season)

Wieters 14.4 fWAR

Montero 13.5 fWAR -- 6 yrs, $66 mm (signed in 2012 before his age 28 season and included one arb year)

Martin 12.3 fWAR -- 2 yrs, $17 mm (signed in 2013 before his age 30 season)

Santana 11.9 fWAR -- 5 yrs, $21 mm (signed in 2012; all 5 yrs were under team control anyway, option for $12 mm in 2017)

I don't see how anyone could look at that data and conclude that Wieters is worth $100 mm.

Wait and see what McCann gets. Besides age, they have been remarkably similar players since 2009. I sincerely doubt its anywhere near $100 million.

Good point. Matt may be worth 100m to some team like the Yankees but he is not worth that to the O's. What McCann gets will be a good indicator.

Archived