Look's like we can end the Hardy to Cards talk now. Peralta to Cards.

Greg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 36s

i team that offered $52M for 4 yrs for peralta was told they're not even in game. will be fascinating how high it goes.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 36s

i team that offered $52M for 4 yrs for peralta was told they're not even in game. will be fascinating how high it goes.

Wow. I would think that would be a MAX deal for a guy like Peralta. The money being thrown around is just insane.

It's getting to a point where only a few teams are going to be able to afford free agents.

Yep. Even if you say that the Orioles can spend 125 Million you know they can't spend 200 Million like the Yankees just did.

I am glad we ran the price up for him though ;)

I guess it is the new reality.

It would be a good study to see if these FA contracts are any different or worse than other years. Don't we say this just abut every year? I understand the Lohse situation and similar guys, but that's attributable to the new CBA.

I think, and it's not my original thought for sure, for whatever reason, teams are striking early with over the top deals for zero WAR guys. The game is awash in cash obviously.

Where is the moneyball in this environment?

It would be a good study to see if these FA contracts are any different or worse than other years. Don't we say this just abut every year? I understand the Lohse situation and similar guys, but that's attributable to the new CBA.

I think, and it's not my original thought for sure, for whatever reason, teams are striking early with over the top deals for zero WAR guys. The game is awash in cash obviously.

Where is the moneyball in this environment?

If it's a savings account for Davis and Machado, then I think it's for the best.

I cannot think that having a owner of the vintage of ours can be an advantage in a spiraling market. As always, the young cost controlled players in good health are the market inefficiency. Build your system with as many high ceiling prospects as possible.

If teams are going to use their extra $25 million to give away huge contracts to aging and declining players, it's not an advantage. That money would be MUCH better spent locking up younger talent long-term. I would never in a million years give Peralta 4 years, $52 million, let alone higher than that.

Man this is turning out to be a great year to be a free agent.

Archived