Orioles reportedly one of the "front runners" for Samardzija

section36

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I second those moves. Sign Garza and trade for Samardziga and add Beltran or trade for Trumbo who can DH, play LF in a platoon with McLouth or play 1B. We will contend with this lineup.
Samardziga 3.5M+ arb, Garza 15 M +, Beltran 13m +, adding 32+ M to a payroll already at 92 M? PA says get real.

Samardziga 3.5M+ arb, Garza 15 M +, Beltran 13m +, adding 22+ M to a payroll already at 92 M? PA says get real.

22m? That is 31.5m by my count unless I am missing something.

Takes us to $123.5 million and not only would we contend for the AL East, we would contend for a World Championship.

Takes us to $123.5 million and not only would we contend for the AL East, we would contend for a World Championship.

I think his point is that no way is payroll being raised that much in one year. I know with that screen name you didn't forget who the owner is.

I like Samardzija but I don't consider him an ace. He doesn't have Bundy's upside and I anticipate the same contract problems with him in two years that we're discussing with Wieters now. Is is automatic that we sign him to an extension? If he performs well he'll want to be paid for it and from what I've read that's why Chicago is shopping him. The two sides aren't close. Hmm, where have I heard that story line before?

Unless ownership magically changes hands I'd prefer to keep all potential future aces. I'm not sure I want to trade them in any case.

I like Samardzija but I don't consider him an ace. He doesn't have Bundy's upside and I anticipate the same contract problems with him in two years that we're discussing with Wieters now. Is is automatic that we sign him to an extension? If he performs well he'll want to be paid for it and from what I've read that's why Chicago is shopping him. The two sides aren't close. Hmm, where have I heard that story line before?

Unless ownership magically changes hands I'd prefer to keep all potential future aces. I'm not sure I want to trade them in any case.

So you want to do what we have always done. Especially with the group from 09 (calvary)?

Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, Tillman and Harnandez were all "TOR starters"....only Tillman has reached that level.

Sometimes you have to take gambles. Do you know the success rate for prospects? It's terrible.

I edited it. But Samardzia would be a 5.00 ERA SP in the AL East. Pass, and certainly not for Bundy.

So you want to do what we have always done. Especially with the group from 09 (calvary)?

Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, Tillman and Harnandez were all "TOR starters"....only Tillman has reached that level.

Sometimes you have to take gambles. Do you know the success rate for prospects? It's terrible.

I agreed with you about Garza, but Samardzija is not what I would consider an ace. You want us to trade our future (Bundy with the potential to be an ace) away for a guy who might be gone in two years anyway? I'd take Garza because we don't have to trade away six years of cost controlled future for a guy who is not likely to re-sign with us.

No, I don't want to do what we've always done, but I'm a realist, too. Ownership isn't changing anytime soon.

I agreed with you about Garza, but Samardzija is not what I would consider an ace. You want us to trade our future (Bundy with the potential to be an ace) away for a guy who might be gone in two years anyway? I'd take Garza because we don't have to trade away six years of cost controlled future for a guy who is not likely to re-sign with us.

No, I don't want to do what we've always done, but I'm a realist, too. Ownership isn't changing anytime soon.

How does the "lost" time for Bundy factor into that cost controlled time (i.e., from the time he was hurt to whenever he comes back...and then the growing pains once he is back that'll be sure to happen before he's ready to contribute reliably)? And how do you square that with the closing window that the current core may arguably be facing?

Moreover, given what the results have been, why is it OK for the Orioles to cling to their cost controlled "prospects" until they're either too expensive, disappointing in some sense, or both (e.g., Matt Wieters)?

Not saying Samardzija is the key to the kingdom, but I don't think you'd be trading anything close to a guarantee with Bundy, let alone someone you could simply, in all likelihood, rely upon going forward. My only issue with trading Bundy at this point would be trading him while he's such a huge question mark, as opposed to trading him pre-injury to significantly shore up some of the team's weaknesses.

How does the "lost" time for Bundy factor into that cost controlled time (i.e., from the time he was hurt to whenever he comes back...and then the growing pains once he is back that'll be sure to happen before he's ready to contribute reliably)? And how do you square that with the closing window that the current core may arguably be facing?

It doesn't. It's gone. You don't get it back, but that doesn't mean I trade him away unless I think he can't recover he status pre-injury. As far as the core, unfortunately I don't think ownership is concerned with the window.

Moreover, given what the results have been, why is it OK for the Orioles to cling to their cost controlled "prospects" until they're either too expensive, disappointing in some sense, or both (e.g., Matt Wieters)?

I'm happy to trade Wieters or anyone else with a decent return if we aren't going to try and add pieces to the core, but again see my previous answer.

Not saying Samardzija is the key to the kingdom, but I don't think you'd be trading anything close to a guarantee with Bundy, let alone someone you could simply, in all likelihood, rely upon going forward. My only issue with trading Bundy at this point would be trading him while he's such a huge question mark, as opposed to trading him pre-injury to significantly shore up some of the team's weaknesses.

I'm fine with that, too. I'd rather not do it for Samardzija who signing might turn into a problem no different from that which we are experiencing with Wieters right now.

I'm fine with that, too. I'd rather not do it for Samardzija who signing might turn into a problem no different from that which we are experiencing with Wieters right now.

Or the nightmare scenario, Smardja comes to the AL east where he has never pitched before, and gets rocked with a 7 era, and we give up Wieters for a terrible pitcher.

Archived