How is Roberts Not Your Leadoff Hitter?

BillySmith

At least he played enough infield to have a rating. Even if Betemit was healthy he would not have seen any appreciable time at third base last season..

Metrics aside, Young will play in the majors next year. Further, he'll log some time at a defensive position.

Betemit will have a difficult time making a MLB roster, much less seeing time playing defense.

IMO, Young is the more useful player at this point.

My opinion will be validated when he breaks camp with a MLB team.

Young has value as a tough out kind of bat. He'll see a lot of time at DH and occasionally put on a glove. I would rather have Roberts because he will cost less and be better at a position of need.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Young has value as a tough out kind of bat. He'll see a lot of time at DH and occasionally put on a glove. I would rather have Roberts because he will cost less and be better at a position of need.

I agree, this is Young's value to a club. Between the two player, Roberts probably makes more sense for the orioles Haowever, I prefer the orioles to move on from Roberts even at a cheaper price. I think that his concussions and leg injuries have sapped him of his lead off speed. So while I wish Roberts luck, I hope that he is not brought back.

The contract wouldn't be the same, and if I'm spending 5.25M I'd rather spend it elsewhere than 2B.
It is not 2007 so I would not spend that kind of money on either of them.

Ellis provided 3.0 WAR last year and would greatly solidify the IF defense. I wouldn't count on that production again but I think he provides a better bridge to Schoop than Roberts for a fraction of what he's worth. $5.25 is the low end for what the market is being set at this year with the extra money available.

That being said, unless Roberts settles for a $2 or $3 million offer I don't see how he comes back. They have brought in depth and they can go with Flash at 2B and Valencia at 3B to start the season if MM isn't ready. These are the Orioles after all.

Ellis provided 3.0 WAR last year and would greatly solidify the IF defense. I wouldn't count on that production again but I think he provides a better bridge to Schoop than Roberts for a fraction of what he's worth. $5.25 is the low end for what the market is being set at this year with the extra money available.

That being said, unless Roberts settles for a $2 or $3 million offer I don't see how he comes back. They have brought in depth and they can go with Flash at 2B and Valencia at 3B to start the season if MM isn't ready. These are the Orioles after all.

Even in his comeback year, Roberts spent time on the DL. He'll be 36 years old. I don't know why any team would offer him more than a minor league deal with a ST invite.

Even in his comeback year, Roberts spent time on the DL. He'll be 36 years old. I don't know why any team would offer him more than a minor league deal with a ST invite.

He provided some value, but I totally agree. I would not bring him back because of the risk. I think they overpay him.

Archived