How is Roberts Not Your Leadoff Hitter?

BillySmith

Do you think he would have to win the job with Buck as manager?

If you add Roberts to the current mix of candidates Buck is just going to hand him the job.

And we have a thread winner folks! ;)

It goes without saying that I hope they don't bring Roberts back. Markakis would be the best current option to leadoff but I hope DD acquires a better leadoff guy.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After the way Buck put an obviously not ready Roberts out there every day in 2012 that is exactly what I think will happen.

It doesn't help that Roberts' skill set does not translate to a utility infielder role.

Doesn't bother me at all that Roberts can only play one position as long as Flaherty is on the team. Flaherty can switch to SS or 3B and Roberts fills in at 2B.

Doesn't bother me at all that Roberts can only play one position as long as Flaherty is on the team. Flaherty can switch to SS or 3B and Roberts fills in at 2B.

Right, so you have the "starter" jump around to accommodate the "backup". Buck likes structure and playing his starters. Unless you are the Rays teams don't jitterbug their starters all over the diamond.

The problem with this is Buck's penchant for playing vets no matter how poorly they play. If Flaherty isn't playing well he can be sat or even sent down again, Roberts likely won't be sitting.

And we have a thread winner folks! ;)

It goes without saying that I hope they don't bring Roberts back. Markakis would be the best current option to leadoff but I hope DD acquires a better leadoff guy.

I think if DD thinks that Buck will just hand Roberts the job, Roberts will not be back. See Teagarden for an example. DD and Buck will have to agree that Roberts must earn his spot on the team for Roberts to get signed. JMO.

While I can see why Roberts is an option, I hope that the Orioles go in a different direction. My preference is to give Flaherty every opportunity to win the second base job. If Manny is not ready to start the season, sign a veteran like Michael Young to play third until Manny is healthy enough to play. Further, Young is much more versatile than Roberts and will give the team more roster flexiibility in case this scenario plays out. All that being said, IMO having Roberts on the roster much less leading off would be a mistake.
Michael Young has no defensive position to play anymore. Roberts would be a much better 2B choice than him.

Right, so you have the "starter" jump around to accommodate the "backup". Buck likes structure and playing his starters. Unless you are the Rays teams don't jitterbug their starters all over the diamond.

Buck has been known to move players around depending on the circumstances. Davis played 1B, LF. RF and DH in 2012.

If Buck is willing to not play Roberts then how do you explain what happened during that 17 game stretch in 2012? Roberts put up 415 OPS and a 16 OPS+ while playing horrendous defense and the only reason Buck stopped putting him the lineup is he got injured.

Roberts was a veteran player with a 40M contract. The understanding was he would play. Now he is a free agent. The understanding can he reset before signing Roberts.

Roberts was a veteran player with a 40M contract. The understanding was he would play. Now he is a free agent. The understanding can he reset before signing Roberts.

Middle of a pennant race, drastically underperforming in every aspect of the game and you think it was just the contract that put Roberts out there?

Nice chatting with you but I think we are too far apart on this topic to have a middle ground.

Good day to you sir!

There were injuries to the outfielders. He got moved to DH because his defense at first was deemed worse then Reynolds.

Buck has been know to stick with players having defensive problems but he didn't with Davis at 1B in 2012. Buck could have stayed with Davis at DH or 1B and put someone else in the outfield if all Buck does is stick with his players at one position. However, that is not what Buck did. He moved Davis around as needed. Just like he can do with Flaherty if he starts at 2B but is needed at SS or 3B, Buck is not a inflexible as you make him out to be.

Archived