Nelson Cruz ?

Greg

Who wouldn't? Jones-Davis-Cruz JUST WOW.

I just can't get excited over Cruz. If the price is decent then maybe. But another low walk swing at everything guy. Not to mention he's only had one season where he played over 128 games. That was in 2012, then the next year busted for PEDs. Cruz scares me.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sBbGIAFSnAI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Come guys get on the Bandwagon. Hate being alone on it.

FA LFs in order of how good they are at baseball:

1. Choo

2. Granderson

3. Beltran

4. Hart

5. McLouth

6. Cruz

No other starting-caliber LFers on the market.

Umm, by what measure?

WAR (Career)

1. Beltran 67.5

2. Granderson 35.2

3. Choo 25.6

4. Hart 16.0

5. Cruz 11.6

6. McLouth 6.9

WAR (Last 3 Years)

1. Choo 10.2

2. Granderson 9.5

3. Hart 9.5

4. Beltran 7.2

5. Cruz 3.7

6. McLouth 2.1

WAR (Last Season)

1. Choo 4.2

2. Beltran 2.4

3. Cruz 2.0

4. Hart 2.0

5. McLouth 1.6

6. Granderson 1.1 (injured - missed 101 games)

I'm not the biggest fan of Cruz, and I'm aware of the Orioles apparent budget constraints, but I think it would be hard to come up with statistical evidence that McLouth should rank anywhere but last on this list at being "good at baseball". Putting aside salaries, any of the other five would be an upgrade.

I'll throw you a bone here. I'd much rather have Choo if we're spending a pick, but I'd be lying if I said I still wouldn't be excited to have back-to-back-to-back 30 HR guys in the lineup. :eek:

Back, to Back, to Back. Jack. Yep. Power. That's where I'm at.

One advantage to looking at Cruz may be a smaller market of teams looking at signing him. His PED suspension may just serve as a bit of a market efficiency. Perhaps signing McLouth along with him could mitigate Cruz's defensive shortcomings a bit. McLouth platoons with Valencia, with Cruz in LF when Valencia plays and Cruz at DH when McLouth plays. I don't know, just spit-balling.

My target - Hart.

I think Hart is solid, coming off injury but can be had and be very good value. 30 homer power, the knee is a concern but he can spell as a DH.

He started baseball activities yesterday. He's like Nolan. 30 Homer power. Or traction. D.H. Only.

He started baseball activities yesterday. He's like Nolan. 30 Homer power. Or traction. D.H. Only.

I would agree but Hart has ACTUALLY had legit sustained success in the bigs regardless of injuries. So let's say Hart is a primary DH, spends some days in LF, Nate is the primary LF?

I like Hart, he has a proven bat, he just needs to prove he has the legs. If he can give you 140 games of his usual production it is a big upgrade in LF that can be had on a discount.

I think it would be hard to come up with statistical evidence that McLouth should rank anywhere but last on this list at being "good at baseball".

Not as hard as you'd think.

McLouth was worth 2.5 fWAR to Cruz' 1.5 fWAR last year. And by that measure, he was worth more over the last 2 years than Cruz as well.

Given the big difference in UZR and DRS for both of them, I'd call it ambiguous.

In any event, I would lose all faith in Duquette if Cruz was out big addition of the winter. He'll cost something like 3/39 and a 1st rounder and he just isn't all that good.

If we're going to make a big splash this winter, it had better be a player of Choo or Burnett's caliber.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles are pursuing Nelson Cruz, and he is perfect fit because they need RH power and have avail at-bats at corner OF and DH. <a href="https://twitter.com/FOXSports1">@FOXSports1</a></p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

">December 5, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sweet

Who are you believing, Morosi or Connolly? I'll take Connolly. It ain't happening.

Like i said last night the local reporter here are bad. I trust Jon.

Archived