Per Rosenthal: Balfour (FINALLY) to Orioles...

xian4

So if we sign him for 2/17.5 we just saved a whopping 1.25m over JJ!! Resource allocation at it's finest!

I think it's more to do with them just not wanting Johnson to close anymore.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Also hearing ab potential trades the O's could've made for Markakis. One being Rios in Texas. Duq tried. Angelos loves his fellow Greeks :)</p>— Jen Royle (@Jen_Royle) <a href="

">December 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

LOL Jen is a mess

So if we sign him for 2/17.5 we just saved a whopping 1.25m over JJ!! Resource allocation at it's finest!

You are wrong again. We save $1.25mil in the first year. Johnson would be a free agent at the end of that year and we would have to replace him anyway. If we wanted to retain him with a qualifying offer, that would cost something close to $16mil, as that amount will go up next season. If we signed him to an extension, given what closers are getting this year, that would probably mean a minimum of $11-12 mil.

Not apologizing for the lack of activity, it stinks. But, Balfour, Jemile Weeks, another player that we might find out about today, and a minimum of $1.25 mil in salary relief is not a bad exchange for Jim Johnson.

Now, that's assuming we sign him. The way this winter meeting has gone, I'm not convinced it even gets done. But, if it does, this is a net gain for the O's.

You are wrong again. We save $1.25mil in the first year. Johnson would be a free agent at the end of that year and we would have to replace him anyway. If we wanted to retain him with a qualifying offer, that would cost something close to $16mil, as that amount will go up next season. If we signed him to an extension, given what closers are getting this year, that would probably mean a minimum of $11-12 mil.

Not apologizing for the lack of activity, it stinks. But, Balfour, Jemile Weeks, another player that we might find out about today, and a minimum of $1.25 mil in salary relief is not a bad exchange for Jim Johnson.

Now, that's assuming we sign him. The way this winter meeting has gone, I'm not convinced it even gets done. But, if it does, this is a net gain for the O's.

I guess if you feel like paying a closer 9m when you have a hard ownership cap is a prudent move it is a "net gain". I don't.

I hope the deal doesn't get done, because a team with a "resource allocation" like ours plan shouldn't have a 9m closer in the fold. Ever.

And, Balfour has better numbers. I love JJ but he is an inferior pitcher.

10.8-8.25=2.55. Webb 2.35. Balfour + Webb > JJ. JJ was gone anyway after 2014, unless you think it would have been wise to offer him at least a QO.

Archived