Orioles have agreed to terms with OF Tyler Colvin

Greg

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Colvin was one of the multiple "key" parts from the Cubs system discussed here as part of the return for BRob when those talks were going on. I don't think any of those Cubs prospects considered for BRob amounted to much.

IIRC, the Cubs balked at including Colvin. As I recall, they were offering Matt Murton and Ronny Cedeno in the package. I know they refused to include Rich Hill, who we really wanted. Funny how things turn out.

I'm trying to figure out Colvin's season last year. Despite very solid numbers in 2012, he started 2013 in the minors and had a .900+ OPS through early June. He got promoted, hit well for the first week (1.029 OPS) and then proceeded to hit .096/.130/.096 in his next 20 games. That got him demoted and he hit .200/.300/.314 over 11 games, then missed the next month before playing one final game in September.

So, did the disc problems start in June, and is that what caused his numbers to fall off the table, or did the disc problems only come up after he had been back in the minors for a while? I hope it was the former, of course.

So, are we to think Colvin will be the primary LF'er? Over Lough, Reimold, et al.? I guess not, just earn the job if you want it type of situation. But the option, plus his back, may be a hindrance to Colvin making the team. Lough is out of options I believe. That is why he was available if I recall collectly.

Wasn't Felix Pie also discussed.

Yes, but the Cubs flat refused Pie. Funny how we ended up with both Hill and Pie within a year or 2, and bith were pretty bad. Pretty sure the pitcher that the Cubs wanted to include was Sean Marshall, who probably has been worth more than anyone else in the discussion as it turned out.

These guys have turned dumpster diving into an elaborate art form.

OPACY is the Sistine Chapel of AAAA signings.

MSK

Maybe. But there is a growing feeling that signing six year minor league free agents, and the like, at the age of 27 or so is better than paying huge dollars for a 33 year old veteran in decline. The new market efficiency, with DD leading the charge.

Maybe. But there is a growing feeling that signing six year minor league free agents, and the like, at the age of 27 or so is better than paying huge dollars for a 33 year old veteran in decline. The new market efficiency, with DD leading the charge.

Pure GOLD!! I love it.

These guys have turned dumpster diving into an elaborate art form.

OPACY is the Sistine Chapel of AAAA signings.

MSK

I don't mean to keep sounding negative, but if this blows up in DD's face and we stink this year the O's will once again be the laughingstock of baseball. We finally contended after all these years and this is what the FO did. I hope it works out.

I have a question. Since Colvin obviously had health issues last season, why was this signing announced before the physical? Did they get to see medicals from last year? It could very well be undone. Disk issues are sketchy. Is it because it is for less money than Balfour?

I don't mean to keep sounding negative, but if this blows up in DD's face and we stink this year the O's will once again be the laughingstock of baseball. We finally contended after all these years and this is what the FO did. I hope it works out.

And not one bit of the blame should lie at the feet of Dan Duquette. What do you expect him to do with no money? Wave his magic wand and turn all the trash into treasure? Take some money out of his own pocket to pay players?

He is in a "win just enough" situation and there is nothing he can do about it.

Archived