Orioles have agreed to terms with OF Tyler Colvin

Greg

Maybe. But there is a growing feeling that signing six year minor league free agents, and the like, at the age of 27 or so is better than paying huge dollars for a 33 year old veteran in decline. The new market efficiency, with DD leading the charge.

I have no problem with the concept of making smart signings. The problem is with the folks we choose to sign. The last Rockies batter we signed who was coming off of an "down year" was Garrett Atkins. I don't need to remind anyone how that ended.

It's interesting to note that some players' performance in Colorado tends to be a see-saw. With the back issues and the inconsistent play, I don't see how he's going to be a significant contributor to the squad. And if he was demoted late in the year last season, that's not going to be a good help for us if any of our big names go down from injury and his back issues flare up again after June.

MSK

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no problem with the concept of making smart signings. The problem is with the folks we choose to sign. The last Rockies batter we signed who was coming off of an "down year" was Garrett Atkins. I don't need to remind anyone how that ended.

Well Garrett Atkins was a disaster because we gave him a nice paycheck and handed him our 1B job. Colvin is presumably getting a small guarantee, has an option, and will be handed nothing that he doesn't earn.

But signing Colvin doesn't do much for me either. Starting pitching is what needs to be addressed. Even if they signed Arroyo (or whomever) tonight, the fact that Zach Britton would be the #6 starter in the organization concerns me. Gausman could use a couple months in Norfolk it seems, and somebody is going to go down before then. Lack of starting pitching depth has been an Achilles heel for Dan's regime. I'd love for that to change.

It's interesting to note that some players' performance in Colorado tends to be a see-saw. With the back issues and the inconsistent play, I don't see how he's going to be a significant contributor to the squad. And if he was demoted late in the year last season, that's not going to be a good help for us if any of our big names go down from injury and his back issues flare up again after June.

MSK

Was it AM who brought in Atkins? I don't remember, but that was real bad. But Colvin has an option, so we get to check him out healthwise and teammate wise.

I have a question. Since Colvin obviously had health issues last season, why was this signing announced before the physical? Did they get to see medicals from last year? It could very well be undone. Disk issues are sketchy. Is it because it is for less money than Balfour?

The Orioles didn't announce it, the media did. They're waiting on the physical before making the announcement.

Hopefully, the Orioles have now scraped the bottom of the barrel dry.

And if they are mining with hope of finding a gold nugget, someone should tell them they are digging up iron pyrite, a.k.a. fool's gold.

Really....really!....hard to be excited about this off-season.

Well Garrett Atkins was a disaster because we gave him a nice paycheck and handed him our 1B job. Colvin is presumably getting a small guarantee, has an option, and will be handed nothing that he doesn't earn.

But signing Colvin doesn't do much for me either. Starting pitching is what needs to be addressed. Even if they signed Arroyo (or whomever) tonight, the fact that Zach Britton would be the #6 starter in the organization concerns me. Gausman could use a couple months in Norfolk it seems, and somebody is going to go down before then. Lack of starting pitching depth has been an Achilles heel for Dan's regime. I'd love for that to change.

Patience Grasshopper. Timing has no meaning whatsoever. Only Feb 13. Only March 31.

How did Connolly get wind of it? His sources are in the warehouse aren't they?
Some of his sources, yes. "Industry sources" could imply agents or people outside the team.
The Orioles have reached agreement with outfielder Tyler Colvin on a major league deal, according to industry sources.
The Orioles are expected to announce Colvin's signing Thursday morning.
source - Roch

Archived